WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Given the intense discussion in the eBay thread about people getting burned with online purchases, I figure the timing is right for a question about not getting taken on a purchase.

The Omega Geneve Dynamic -- yep, the uggers late-60s elliptical one with the screw-in bracelet. Don't ask me why, but I love it. The silver/blue one with the blue chapter ring is the one I'm after.

Problem is, these never seem to show up on the forums. Any recommendations on what to look for in this particular model to avoid redials, frankens, etc., if I do end up heading to the 'Bay in my hunt?

:thanks

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I don't think these are frankend (is that a word :-s) as often as others.
My suggestion to you would be to see something you like and then post a link here for people to comment on.
Good luck! Joe

Howdy,

Given the intense discussion in the eBay thread about people getting burned with online purchases, I figure the timing is right for a question about not getting taken on a purchase.

The Omega Geneve Dynamic -- yep, the uggers late-60s elliptical one with the screw-in bracelet. Don't ask me why, but I love it. The silver/blue one with the blue chapter ring is the one I'm after.

Problem is, these never seem to show up on the forums. Any recommendations on what to look for in this particular model to avoid redials, frankens, etc., if I do end up heading to the 'Bay in my hunt?

:thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think these are frankend (is that a word :-s) as often as others.
My suggestion to you would be to see something you like and then post a link here for people to comment on.
Good luck! Joe
Here's an example -- though it seems to be on the high end of the price scale for what these fetch the odd time they show up on the forums... and I'm always nervous about a 'nearly perfect example' with no pictures of the movement...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OMEGA-Vintage-Sw...ryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Perhaps I should qualify what I said about the Dynamics being frankend. There have actually been many NOS dynamic cases for sale on eBAY and on the TZSC for quite some time.... So there are plenty of cases out there ready to be used and you should be careful.....
That said - I don't think the Dynamics are that popular that they would be frankend too often.

In the case of your example- a few things have me wondering. First, it looks like a redial. this is not an easy call - as it would be a complex dial to replicate. However, the font is not uniform and the indices do not align perfectly. Second, the print on the strap makes me think this is not a genuine Omega strap. Third - price is high for this watch model. Finally - seeing a picture of the movement with a serial # would be helpful in determining the "status" of the watch

Here's an example -- though it seems to be on the high end of the price scale for what these fetch the odd time they show up on the forums... and I'm always nervous about a 'nearly perfect example' with no pictures of the movement...

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I don't really have much to add; I just wanted to agree with Joe. The script varied a bit on different Dynamics, but I've never seen one this sloppy. I'd call it a redial. Another indication is that the luminous markers should extend out to the edge of the dial.

eric

·
Registered
Mainly JLC, UN & Omega
436 Posts
Howdy,

I had the same urge a while back and spent a lot of time investigating this watch. I found out that in general the original dials on these did not hold up very well and there are many redials out there but a lot of these are good so it depends on your view on redials. If you find an original one in good condition expect to pay quite a bit more for it. BTW, they also often come with 'NOS' aftermarket leather straps which can be pretty poor quality.

Heirloom Gallery always has a huge number for sale for some reason and have plenty of pictures for info.
http://www.heirloom2.com/omega_dynamic.htm

BTW, If you haven't seen one in the flesh I suggest you try before you buy... I managed to get a look at a few before I pulled the trigger and didn't like them nearly so much so decided not to buy in the end.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same urge a while back and spent a lot of time investigating this watch. I found out that in general the original dials on these did not hold up very well and there are many redials out there but a lot of these are good so it depends on your view on redials. If you find an original one in good condition expect to pay quite a bit more for it. BTW, they also often come with 'NOS' aftermarket leather straps which can be pretty poor quality.

Heirloom Gallery always has a huge number for sale for some reason and have plenty of pictures for info.
http://www.heirloom2.com/omega_dynamic.htm

BTW, If you haven't seen one in the flesh I suggest you try before you buy... I managed to get a look at a few before I pulled the trigger and didn't like them nearly so much so decided not to buy in the end.
This is terrific advice. Thank you all very much. Has anyone had any experience dealing with Heirloom Gallery?

Lukas

·
Registered
Mainly JLC, UN & Omega
436 Posts
This is terrific advice. Thank you all very much. Has anyone had any experience dealing with Heirloom Gallery?

Lukas
I only used their site for info but they have been on ebay for 7 odd years with 500+ feedback at 99.6% feedback ( http://myworld.ebay.com/heirloom-gallery/ ) and on there web site he also notes that he was "named as "vintage watch website of the month" by watchUseek.comfor two months in 2002".

I think they are OK and probably better than most on eBay but, as with any vintage watch, you would need to be clear on what you were after and ask clear questions in advance as some of the watches on there (particularly the dynamics) appear to be NOS and/or redials (the one's that look original seem to be stated as such in the description).

Good hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts