WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really liking the AW-582 S-KOOL range... but what I wanna know is, what are the odds of Casio creating more of the model in rare colours like they do with the other popular classics e.g. DW 6900... I think I may have answered my own question there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think I wanna start collecting model AW-582....but imo it would be pretty pointless if they dont plan to create new colours...which is what I'm hoping.:-d

What do you guys think?

What do you think of AW-582?

Will it command respect from other G owners?b-)

Out of the four S-Kool colours, red, white, yellow and Blue...what would be the more sought after?

cheers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
*Bump*

C'mon guys... only one reply! which i'm truly grateful of.

I need your expertise and knowledge here...even if you don'tlike the model, state your opinion...

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
*Bump*

C'mon guys... only one reply! which i'm truly grateful of.

I need your expertise and knowledge here...even if you don'tlike the model, state your opinion...
The AW-582 is one of Casio's best designs, but looks much better on a resin band.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
well nice looking watch, but also another good (bad) example of a faulty illumination design o|:rodekaart

I wonder if casio ever will learn how to illuminate ana-digi watches RIGHT :-s

about the colours: nothing for me, I'm a straight black fan.

regards, holger

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Hi tribe125,

I thought much the same about the leather band.

Would it be possible to get a white resin band for it, if so where?
Yes, I think so. The AWG-500BJ-8AJF, for example, has a white resin band, and there may be others. I suppose it's difficult to know, without having the watches in your hand, whether the shades of white are identical.

You might have to try a Japanese supplier, such as Seiya or Higuchi. Casio service agents, or the ever-helpful www.tiktox.com might be able to help.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Tribe, can I be nosy and ask what made you decide the AW-582 wasn't a keeper for you? I'm guessing you like to keep your watches down to a minimum of 'perfect for you' ones, but with you speaking so highly of the AW-582, I'm curious why you sold it on. :think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Tribe, can I be nosy and ask what made you decide the AW-582 wasn't a keeper for you? I'm guessing you like to keep your watches down to a minimum of 'perfect for you' ones, but with you speaking so highly of the AW-582, I'm curious why you sold it on. :think:
Yes, I cull my small working collection from time to time. I used to have a limit of ten, but now that I have a watch box with twelve slots, it's gone up by two...

I can't remember what forced the sale (watch no. 11, presumably), and why the AW-582 was next in line to go at that time.

Basically, though, I just decided that ana-digi G-Shocks were too compromised. The hands occasionally obscuring the digits is an obvious limitation, as is the lack of synchronicity between analogue and digital time.

Other minus points - not showing day/date/month at the same time, and limited countdown timer. On my nerdy 'G-Whizz' scale it scored 45.82%, whilst the 9052 (current champion!) scores 81.27, and the 5600E scores 79.68%.

What I really like is the case design. The shape and contours are delightful, and I can't think of a more attractive G-Shock ana-digi. The black gloss on the display, the 'meccano' hands, and the markers all enhance the classy appearance of the watch. Visually, it's an absolute treat, almost in an 'un-Casio' kind of way.

In summary then, it's my favourite ana-digi, but I've gone off ana-digis. Going off ana-digis is what made me renew my interest in 'pure' analogue, which led to my Seamaster, Time Factors and Stowa purchases. Curiously perhaps, I don't mind a complete absence of features as much as the compromised inclusion of features. These days, I don't even mind the absence of a date on analogue watches - but that may be because I struggle to see them at my age. ;-)

There is one ana-digi that interests me, but it might never be made. Eddie Platts is considering a 'Super-Quartz', that if made will be a remarkable watch with an advanced feature set (including synchronised hands and digits). If Casio stepped up to that level in a resin case, I might be interested again. :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
That answers my question very well, thank you tribe. I've not found ana/digi synchronicity a problem though, on the AW582 or the G100. The minute hand always moves on the 0, 20 and 40 second marks. I suppose if you need to change time zones quite often and want the hands synced, that could be a hassle. You may be referring to something I've not thought of.

Ah, I get a chance to mention my quartz Citizen Navihawk now. :-d It solves many ana/digi problems by having hands that - at the push of a button - retract to the 12 position so they're not in the way of the digital display, then return to the correct time with another push. Also, when you select another time zone on the digital display, pushing 2 buttons at once adjusts the hands to the correct position for that time zone. Does anyone know of another ana/digi that does this?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I've recently bought two AWG models, one being a yellow S-Kool version. They're great, I would love to see more colours, but none of this leather straps business, only resin please Casio!

BTW, I've just won this tough solar version on fleabay, too!

Alex;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've recently bought two AWG models, one being a yellow S-Kool version. They're great, I would love to see more colours, but none of this leather straps business, only resin please Casio!

BTW, I've just won this tough solar version on fleabay, too!

Alex;-)

Man... I love the AWG500, that was the G what got me interested in the AW582. I've seen pictures of the orange model which looks real nice but never knew they did a yellow version. They seem really hard to get hold of which is why i considered the 582 instead.

How much did you get the white one for?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I prefer the ana-digi atomic solar G's...those feature hands that synchronize with the digital readout.

But I look at the current trend in G's and I'm not sure how much longer they'll make the 582. I think they still are more happy with the G300 series "Street Rider" watches.

·
Registered
472 Posts
well nice looking watch, but also another good (bad) example of a faulty illumination design o|:rodekaart

I totally agree, that's my biggest gripe about my cockpit. The EL only lights up the small digital dials and leave the analog part completely in the dark. It makes no sense and, for me, is totally useless. It sucks because it's a really cool watch.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

I like the lighting on these. It's sufficient to see the time, and looks great. Still, I'd like to see back lights and tritium vials. :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I hadn't really put my watch collecting strategy into place exactly.. hadn't thought about it that much. Reading Tribe's strategy, I kept nodding my head. I don't have any ani-digis and I don't think I'll buy one, except for my grail (some day). Also, I'll keep my collection limited.. 10 or 12.. not sure which. I've only 6 watches so far and I'm already "concerned" when one doesn't get worn for a period of time.

-Gawain

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I totally agree, that's my biggest gripe about my cockpit. The EL only lights up the small digital dials and leave the analog part completely in the dark. It makes no sense and, for me, is totally useless. It sucks because it's a really cool watch.
hi tseely,

I know what you mean but believe me, like the picture clearly shows, the opposite - lighting up the hands and leave the digital sections in the dark - isn't any better either. I encounterd both on the ana-digis I have (or had) thats why I won't buy them any more. I can understand (though not appreciate) why casio is refusing to make an ana-digi watch with tritium vials (which would be a dream by the way), but there is no excuse not to paint markers and hands at least with the very best stuff (nocti lumina - as far as I know) that is available today, or - if that is easier for them - to bring up a watch that electronically illuminates both: analog AND digital section.

regards, holger

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I know what you mean but believe me, like the picture clearly shows, the opposite - lighting up the hands and leave the digital sections in the dark - isn't any better either.
I don't entirely agree with that, as only lighting up the digital display is useless when the hands are covering it, whereas only lighting the hands is guaranteed to show the time. Both would be better of course, but between the two, I'd rather the hands were lit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I only have one Aw-582, here's the link http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=429286#post429286 as my photography skills would not do the watch justice. I absolutely love this watch, I can't stop wearing it especially at night as the lume is super bright. I ordered the watch from angelo, the craftmanship of his work is outstanding. The only problem for me is now I can't stop thinking about what watch I want to purchase next and how to modify it, now I know how the Seiko dive watch guys feel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts