WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks:

I'm new to the forum and also kind of knew to the watch world although always been fascinated about it. I read the forum rule and did my homework. I have actually and honestly spent quite a few hours (really, many days) searching but couldn't fine what I'm looking for. That's why I will ask for your help and please excuse me if I violate a forum rule or make a stupid question inadvertently.

I came across a watch that I never heard before but it caught my attention: Alexander Phillip Watch Company, branded as (an alpha letter symbol) AWC (yep, another AWC watch brand). It claims to be automatic mechanical Swiss movement, Swiss made, front sapphire glass, combined with SS for a see-thru case back, all-SS case and wristband with an extra one of genuine leather, water resistance to 100 m (or 10 ATM; I assume it's the same?) and 25 jewels.

I have several questions and I will greatly appreciate any info, comment, suggestions from your part. All answers are valuable for me at this point:
1.- If this is a real, original, authentic watch, how can I differentiate it from a false, fake, replica one made somewhere else?

2.- If the answer above is positive (genuine AWC watch), is this a valuable 1000-5000 euros piece?

3.- If the range above is not correct, how much should I pay for that timepiece?

Please feel free to ask for further info, if needed.

Again, any answers, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.

Mac.

· Moderator Emeritus
62,904 Posts
The Tourbillon watches I found on their web site are 25.000 Euro, couldn't find any other watch in a 600 - 4000 price range. However, found some AWC watches on ebay fitted with chinese movements. Puzzled.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello again folks:

I'm sorry to bother you... but hopefully you may be accustomed to be annoyed by newbies... On the other hand, please feel free to redirect me to another thread or forum if it is not appropriate for me to keep asking here. I can't find any other resource to help me find out about the authenticity of this watch. Sorry.

OK, let's supposed that AWC is a legitimate company making its way out as an emerging market. What should I look at to try to identify if the watch is real/genuine or false/fake? If you don't know this company then it is not a replica (replica of what, right? :-s).

Let's go in reverse order: is there any characteristic for fake/false watches? Ugly packaging, missing company logo, missing serial number, mismatching wristband, something that you will look at when you buy a watch? Would it be like a "check list" when you buy a watch from most critical to less critical characteristics?

Again, sorry, but I don't have where else to turn to find out. Please help.

Thanks again in advance.

Mac.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks; I agree.

But what about if the Company is a fake/phantom/ghost company itself saying that the watches are that good just to find out later on that I was just ripped off? ...Or may I just bought a real timepiece by chance... That's my dilemma.

There are things that I just don't know. For instance: the "Swiss made" mark is in the case back, not on the dial. The dial shows "Swiss movement" instead. Is it common to put the "Swiss Made" mark at the back and not at front? I would think that if it is really made in Switzerland, they may want to write it at front not on the back. But again, I know almost nothing about watches; just starting to get immersed into this world now... That's why I appreciate everybody's time and help to figure out if a watch like that could be in the 1.000 - 5.000 euros range, or not.

Thanks in advance once again.

Mac.

· Registered
3,308 Posts
Also interested ... Woot.com is selling 3 mechanical chrono watches, including a moon phase model, all US$199.99. Great buy for a Swiss movement, but I've been caught before by a "Swiss made" watch with a Chinese movement. Capable, but otherwise crap. Now, US$200 for a chrono with a moon phase complication is tempting, but accuracy could be awful.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
I did a business deal with a guy and he gave me an AWC on closing. He said that it was his own watch company, named after his two children. I noticed that all of his staff also wore various AWC watches.

Mine is quartz chronograph branded Alpha Chrono and AWC, so I'm guessing he has some agreement with Alpha to make watches for him. He did indicate that they are all his own design. Doubt they are worth very much.

Attachments

· Registered
10,623 Posts
I think, if the people on this forum does not know anything about the brand....then it's not worth much.
It doesn't have to be a fake to be a poor quality watch.

· Registered
2,521 Posts
I think, if the people on this forum does not know anything about the brand....then it's not worth much.
It doesn't have to be a fake to be a poor quality watch.
Agreed, they look awful in the pictures provided.

They seem like another Chinese company pretending to be Swiss and ending up with all of the bad, and none of the good, points of either.

What interests you about these watches, OP?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Agreed, they look awful in the pictures provided.

They seem like another Chinese company pretending to be Swiss and ending up with all of the bad, and none of the good, points of either.

What interests you about these watches, OP?
Well, what interested me was the description/specification of the watches. They have basically three lines: quartz, mechanicals and tourbillions (the latter out of reach for me). Therefore, I took a closer look at its quartz series and also its mechanical series. Some of their quartz watches have silver case and sapphire glass; all of their mechanical watches have 316L SS and sapphire glass front and back. After reading and reading through this magnificent website and many others sites I realized that watches with these characteristics are usually "pricy". Of course, if they don't have an acceptable movement inside that means nothing, right? Now, all of the quartz movements are Japonese; some of the mechanical movements are "Swiss Made" (ETA); other mechanical movements are the exact same used by the Sea-Gull company.

I decided to pull the trigger at it and bought a few of them, all mechanical watches, almost all automatic (one hand winding: a true Moon phase, chronograph and retrograde all together). I'm still considering to buy a quartz one; although I'm not a fan of quartz watches there is one of this brand that I really like the design. Let's see.

Accuracy, right? Well, all of them without exception have been keeping good time according to the most commonly used criteria: within +/-20sec/24h. Most of them tend to be a little bit on the fast side (less than +10 spd).

So, if the watches are made of solid 316L SS case and bracelets, or Sterling Silver case, with sapphire glass (domed or flat at front and flat at caseback), AND also have a fairly accurate movement inside, I will call them decent quality watches of "rebranded" limited editions (although not from a famously known brand name, I know).

That's how I restarted my collection. :think:

PS: Oh!, ...also please remember that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" |> and also that "beauty is imperfection" (...well, not really for this hobby :roll:).

· Registered
2,563 Posts
Awc Mechanical Chronograph Power Reserve Mens Watch | eBay

Even $160 for a ST-19 seagull movement wouldn't be bad these days, correct?

Because of the power reserve, I'm not sure if it's a ST-19...but doesn't seem to be much info around about the AWC. Nor the claimed "TY2709" Seagull movement.

Any other info on experience with the watch would be nice.
Seagull movements and their complementary names are listed on Wikipedia: Tianjin Seagull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ayayom: 'would love to see some pics!

· Registered
3,308 Posts
+/-20 sec a day isn't what I'd call acceptable. YMMV.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are crap //

· Registered
586 Posts
I did a business deal with a guy and he gave me an AWC on closing. He said that it was his own watch company, named after his two children. I noticed that all of his staff also wore various AWC watches.

Mine is quartz chronograph branded Alpha Chrono and AWC, so I'm guessing he has some agreement with Alpha to make watches for him. He did indicate that they are all his own design. Doubt they are worth very much.
According to some home work I did almost a year ago on this particular brand (AWC), that watch of yours has a Japanese Quartz Movement (most likely a Miyota but I don't know which calibre), date indication at 4 o'clock, case and bracelet are made of high-strength surgical-grade 316L SS (bracelet is of same solid SS with butterfly connection), glass is Sapphire lens with non-glare coating (I think is double coating but not sure), WR up to 5 ATM (~165 ft), limited edition number (serialized) engraved on the 4-screwed back case, Greek letter Alpha (house sign) engraved on the crown top, it may (or may not) have come in its original beautiful shiny either like-ebony or like-rosewood inner box protected inside a dark gray/black slightly textured side-folded cardboard outer box, both stamped with the house brand name written at the edge of a full circle with its initials and sign at center (like a rubber stamp), reading "Limited Edition" underneath the stamp, all in white color on the inner box hinged lid and silver color on the outer box removable lid. They made this watch model in three different dial colors: red, blue and white. Each color is a limited edition (the number should be engraved on the case back) but I don't remember if I knew how many of each were made (if I find that info I'll update this post). I believe this particular watch was retailing in Europe for over $1 000 euros (different than the North American market; we all know that but nobody knows why for sure) but I can't confirm it as I can't find that tab of info. I'm pretty sure they could be found much cheaper in North America...

One piece of my info is slightly different from yours: the Alexander Phillip Watch Company (AWC) was named after his child (not children), which made more sense to me, ...but I haven't met him personally (so I don't know if he has one only or more than one child).

· Registered
586 Posts
+/-20 sec a day isn't what I'd call acceptable. YMMV.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are crap //
The watches I bought from this particular house (AWC), were all performing within +10 sec per day when I bought them almost a year ago. I will try to time them again when I have time. They may be performing better now after some use... (I don't notice any significant difference in time after wearing them for a few of days...).

· Registered
586 Posts
Re: AWC Alpha Sports - Overview

...'would love to see some pics!
I decided to pull the trigger on some of those some time ago. I was very nervous then but I'm VERY happy now. All of them keeps time within +10 s/day. As requested, here are pictures of some of their mechanical series. I could add some more individual descriptions and/or pictures if anyone is interested (I just didn't want to make the post too boring). I may not have the right tools or skills so, please excuse my picture quality.

All cases are 316L Stainless Steel with signed crown and a limited edition number (xxxx/xxxx) etched on the screw caseback. All bracelets are solid 316L SS with 10 removable links and signed secure deployant clasp. All bands are signed genuine leather with solid 316L SS signed secure deployant clasp (except in one watch model that comes with a very flexible and comfy rubber/silicone strap and signed pin buckle). All glasses (front and back) are Sapphire glass (back glass is non-fading signed in all except one watch model that is plain). All of them come in either Ebony-like or Teak-like -wooden signed boxes with suede lining (except one watch model that comes in a metal signed box); all watch boxes come wrapped and protected inside another signed black textured cardboard watch box. All watches have 22 mm strap lugs (except one watch model that comes with case-specific sliding lugs). All of them come with neither papers nor warranty or returns; all final sales (now you know why I felt so hesitant and nervous when I first pulled the trigger on them about a year ago :-s :think: :-!).

I will come back and edit with more info. For now let's start from the only model that comes with a silicone strap in a metal case:

AWC Alpha Sports "Limited" Edition (5000 pieces worldwide): Automatic MIYOTA CO. 21 jewels (unadjusted) Japan movement (non-hacking), 38h PR, day-date window at 3 o'clock (day in English and Kanji with red Sundays), front and back flat sapphire glass, black smooth glossy dial with white Arabic numerals and dots, SS skeleton spade-shape hour and minute hands, red slim second hand, 42 x 12.5 mm signed SS case with 60-click unidirectional ceramic bezel (44 mm with signed pull/push guarded crown), fixed tachymetre internal bezel, screw caseback , dust-free black silicone signed strap, 22 mm lugs, 46 mm lug-to-lug, 5 ATM WR.

I would like to eventually change its original rubber strap for a polished curved end link solid SS bracelet, or polished SS/ceramic combination bracelet, or polished black IP bracelet. Any info or suggestion for reliable sources with good (cheap ;-)) prices is appreciated in advance.

Note: box pictures are for demonstration only of how the watch was packaged in the first place. They were recently taken but I have been wearing the watch for a long time already (almost like a beater ;-)).

(to be continued with another model at a later time...)

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
According to some home work I did almost a year ago on this particular brand (AWC), that watch of yours has a Japanese Quartz Movement (most likely a Miyota but I don't know which calibre), date indication at 4 o'clock, case and bracelet are made of high-strength surgical-grade 316L SS (bracelet is of same solid SS with butterfly connection), glass is Sapphire lens with non-glare coating (I think is double coating but not sure), WR up to 5 ATM (~165 ft), limited edition number (serialized) engraved on the 4-screwed back case, Greek letter Alpha (house sign) engraved on the crown top, it may (or may not) have come in its original beautiful shiny either like-ebony or like-rosewood inner box protected inside a dark gray/black slightly textured side-folded cardboard outer box, both stamped with the house brand name written at the edge of a full circle with its initials and sign at center (like a rubber stamp), reading "Limited Edition" underneath the stamp, all in white color on the inner box hinged lid and silver color on the outer box removable lid. They made this watch model in three different dial colors: red, blue and white. Each color is a limited edition (the number should be engraved on the case back) but I don't remember if I knew how many of each were made (if I find that info I'll update this post). I believe this particular watch was retailing in Europe for over $1 000 euros (different than the North American market; we all know that but nobody knows why for sure) but I can't confirm it as I can't find that tab of info. I'm pretty sure they could be found much cheaper in North America...

One piece of my info is slightly different from yours: the Alexander Phillip Watch Company (AWC) was named after his child (not children), which made more sense to me, ...but I haven't met him personally (so I don't know if he has one only or more than one child).
5000 of each were made I have blue faced one 0185/5000

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.