WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, the good news, in two parts: Casio USA now has in stock the resin and metal bracelet for the Japanese and Euro versions of the watch, which can be retrofitted into the US model in place of the resin strap. Part # 10317230. This is the black metal links within black resin links version, not the silver metal links in black resin links version. I had it on order for several months, and it arrived on Monday. It is very, very comfortable, and looks great. I have never liked any of the Casio resin straps; the bracelet gives the watch the visual impact needed to match the case, and the result looks "right" in ways that the thin resin strap cannot match.

This is a picture of one of the Euro versions with the bracelet:

Second, the bad news, in two parts.

Bad news, part 1: The bracelet costs $100.50, plus shipping and tax.

Bad news, part 2: Installing the bracelet is a real pain. I'm not inexperienced and have several professional strap/bracelet tools, but this was the worst strap & bracelet swap I've ever had to deal with.

I removed the resin cover on the watch to make things easier (and less risky); when I removed the cover's four JIS (not Phillips) cross-point screws, I found a strange funnel-shaped spring had popped out (there's a recess in the resin cover and a matching recess in the case resin just beneath the metal bezel - the spring goes into the recess on the case, small end down, with the large funnel end going partially under the metal bezel). From posts about other G-Shocks, this spring is probably needed for the "beep" sound that accompanies various vunctions, so don't lose it. The spring seems to transmit sound, via vibrations from a piezoelectric speaker to the metal bezel.

The resin strap is secured by an oversized spring bar, and it was very difficult to remove from the case, even with a Bergeon spring bar tool. It helped that the resin strap was compressible. Once I got it out, I found the spring bars would not go easily into the new bracelet's end pieces (spring bars do not come with the bracelet). Thinner (i.e., normal) spring bars that I had in my parts bin were too thin (body and pin), and would not hold properly. If I forced the oversized spring bar into the bracelet end piece, the bracelet would not attach, so I had to ream out the holes in the bracelet end pieces with a drill bit that was 1/64" larger in diameter than the original hole, matching the diameter of the resin strap's spring bar holes and giving a bit more adjustment room. Even then, attaching the bracelet took a very long time, more force than I expected, and much anguish and grief before I got the uncompressible end piece to go far enough into the case recess so that the spring bar pins tips could be "encouraged" go into the holes in the lugs. This has to be the worst strap or bracelet attachment design I've ever seen.

The results are fine, and I can barely see any of the operation's surface scars on the underside of the lugs...

The resin & metal bracelet links are very easily removed and reinstalled. The spring bars have double shoulders that are accessible, but the easiest way to remove the links is to use a pin tool inserted into the bracelet links via the access holes on the sides of the links, to compress the spring bar and release the link. Wear eye protection and do this where you can find any errant spring bar that goes flying when you remove a link! Reinstalling the spring bars requires a spring bar tool with a small fork. While fitting the bracelet to the case is the worst I've ever experienced, the bracelet link adjustments are the easiest!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,506 Posts
May i add that the Bracelett is also working for the G-77XX and the G-3XX? :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts