WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post. I've admired pocket watches for awhile and finally found one I like at what I think is a decent price of $40. I have searched everywhere for hours and all I can for AXA is Wittenauer but this doesn't say Wittenauer anywhere, Karl Ehrmann which I can't find any pocket watches by or any AXA and this says AXA Watch Co. Thank you for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post. I've admired pocket watches for awhile and finally found one I like at what I think is a decent price of $40. I have searched everywhere for hours and all I can for AXA is Wittenauer but this doesn't say Wittenauer anywhere, Karl Ehrmann which I can't find any pocket watches by or any AXA and this says AXA Watch Co. Thank you for any help
AXA was not a brand name used by Wittnauer, it was a US import code for Wittnauer. It would have been engraved on the balance cock of the watch, nowhere else.

That said, Axa Watch Co. is completely unrelated to Wittnauer.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The design of the watch looks to be typical for the 20's or 30's, and the case design seems 30ish art deco. It's an American Watch Case Company case, and the movement markings are typical for US imported watches of the era. That would make Jovis the likely importer, with Clemence Freres & Co. the likely manufacturer. They were in La Chaux de Fonds along with Societe Anonyme Vve Ch.-Leon Schmid & Cie, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were part of the "Societe Anonyme" and went their own way (with the AXA trademark) in 1923.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts