WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this on the page of the Seiko centre in Paris. I had never heard of this range before.

Apparently Izul was a high end sub-brand of Seiko that only lasted a short while, being discontinued in 2009. Non-the-less the Seiko Centre in Paris still seems to be offering them.

http://www.seikocenter.fr/collections-exclusives/izul/SDAA003

It looks as though the current Prospex Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB005 owes something to the styling of the Izul.

SDAA003.jpg

See also: HANDS-ON with Seiko’s rare Izul | HOROLOGIUM

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Y'know what, that sub dial arrangement makes much more sense in a bullhead configuration.
Could it possibly be that the 9R86 was originally conceived for that purpose?

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
If you showed me this I would say it is a fake. If this is the final version then this is the first Spring Drive that does not have capped hands everywhere (Appear to only be on the non chronograph registers...pwr res. and second hand). Big mistake to miss this trademark to the movement line. I like the Bullhead case, which many loyal Seiko followers have been asking for.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I really like this.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Interesting, but does nothing for me. If I were to drop big money on a spring drive watch, I want it to look classy or striking, this just looks sort of ... meh.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's too bad that they're not on the market anymore.
I guess that those the Paris Seiko centre feature are old stock. Or perhaps their webpage is just way out of date!

P.s Sorry about the typo in the threat title. It should, of course, read IZUL, not Azul. (I can't see how to edit it).

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I'd be tickled to own a Spring Drive, and I'd gladly wear this one, but if I were footing the bill I think I would want to opt for one of their dressier offerings.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Y'know what, that sub dial arrangement makes much more sense in a bullhead configuration.
Could it possibly be that the 9R86 was originally conceived for that purpose?
I believe this is actually a weird spinoff called the 5R85, lacking the GMT complication. Looks really cool though:

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
That's a handsome watch. Any more info/pictures?
Model number?
Key thing to note on the Spacewalk is the $28,000 (not a typo) asking price for this very limited edition. Generally that is enough to sort of bring the conversation to an end. Never paid too much attention to that, but it has the missing capped hands also. Actually the coolest view is the side where the cage frame can be viewed.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Key thing to note on the Spacewalk is the $28,000 (not a typo) asking price for this very limited edition. Generally that is enough to sort of bring the conversation to an end. Never paid too much attention to that, but it has the missing capped hands also. Actually the coolest view is the side where the cage frame can be viewed.

If you note, that is precisely why I asked for more info/pictures/model number and not the price. ;)
I assumed that it would be a very very exclusive limited edition and thus expensive. Never ever seen a picture of it before and I spend a major part of my day on many watch forums.

So now could someone please provide more info/pictures and the model number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The Spacewalk was a massive hit in the Seiko community, but due to its very high price, even by GS standards, it's inaccessible to almost all of us who collect Seiko. It featured the 5R86 movement, which is identical to the GS 9R86 except for finishing and rotor, and is the highest end full production movement that Seiko makes. The Spacewalk is also the first watch specifically designed for space travel, at least according to the marketing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts