WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice pics, Rik !

Is Tourby the name of your Flieger ?
Looks like an Archimede...
But Tourby could also be a nickname for Tourbillon, wich is something else... ;-)

Cheers,
Brice

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Oh, Rik, I'm so stupid...:oops::-s

You won that Tourby at the 10th anniversary, you lucky dude !!
Nevertheless, looks like an Archimede, and that's great.

A pretty good fellow to your B-1, both definitely devoted to aerospace but so different.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Tourby' is the manufacturer, and it's an 'Aviator' model. I hadn't heard of the manufacturer until the competition but from their website they appear to be a newish company (?) They also make more decorative designs and custom watches.

They're a site sponsor so I think it's OK to post this link (Mods, please remove if inappropriate)

I assumed it was just a retro style pilot design but from reading up around the wider parts of WUS (which never fails to inform does it?) I now appreciate it's based on a classic German design that seems to be a bit of a design icon. Still learning . . .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Archimede german brand I was thinking of looks like this, and do looks like closely related to the Stowa brand, also made in Germany...

Cheers,
Brice

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Love those blue screws. Are they just colored, or "real".

'Tourby' is the manufacturer, and it's an 'Aviator' model. I hadn't heard of the manufacturer until the competition but from their website they appear to be a newish company (?) They also make more decorative designs and custom watches.

They're a site sponsor so I think it's OK to post this link (Mods, please remove if inappropriate)

I assumed it was just a retro style pilot design but from reading up around the wider parts of WUS (which never fails to inform does it?) I now appreciate it's based on a classic German design that seems to be a bit of a design icon. Still learning . . .

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're proper screws and they're blue but I don't know if they're blue all the way through or if they're surface painted/coated. The slot appears 'normal' colour so some sort of surface decoration seems likely I suppose.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They're proper screws and they're blue but I don't know if they're blue all the way through or if they're surface painted/coated. The slot appears 'normal' colour so some sort of surface decoration seems likely I suppose.
The screws that come from ETA are nickel plated steel. The nickel plating is designed to keep them from rusting. when the nickel plating is polished off and the screws are heated the steel will turn blue. In this sense, the blue is merely for decoration. The bluing effect does provide corrosion resistance though, and is the original reason watch screws used to be blued. So to answer his question, they are only blue where the plating is removed and probably on the top surface of the screw head.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nice watches ... I have a B-1 now I am looking for a Pilot watch.

The weather was clement so the boys went out on the lawn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts