WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B-1 I purchased in 2003 (present for myself after deployment to Afghanistan). Four years later, in preparation for deployment to Iraq, I take the watch to local AD to have the battery changed. (The watch is running perfectly, but I anticipate it may be difficult to locate Breitling dealer in Baghdad). After receipt by service center, I am advised it should be serviced as well, which I approve. This process takes six weeks--not too happy about that, but was told it would take eight weeks, so can't complain. Pick up the watch just before I depart and put it on my wrist without running through all of the functions. About 10 days later sitting in staging area in Kuwait, I notice a problem with the top push button. It doesn't have the "resistance then click" feel of the bottom button (as both buttons originally had)--just a mushy feel, no click, then the function would activate. Makes me wonder whether a seal or something was left out during servicing, not good in this dusty environment--clearly something is wrong. The service center also had not bothered to synchronize the analog hands with digital display. I send it back registered mail to friend who takes it back to AD. They send it back for reservicing. Eight weeks later it catches up with me in Baghdad. Yes, it is better, but there is still a different feel for the top vs. bottom push button. The bottom button feels the way it always did--resistance, then solid feeling click, then activation. The top button has slightly less resistance, and the click itself has noticeably less resistance before activation. The only way I can describe it is that is feels cheap and tinny compared to the bottom button. My friend who handled the reservicing also noticed the difference, but doesn't seem to think its a big deal (he is quite knowledgable regarding watches). I have been wearing it again for a few days and the longer I wear it, the more irritated I become with the difference in feel for the buttons. At this point, however, I am somewhat leery of sending it back again as I am afraid it might be screwed up even worse when it comes back. I researched this watch before I bought it in 2003 and, although the comments on the watch were uniformly positive (and I have enjoyed the watch), there were negative comments at that time regarding Breitling service. I haven't seen any negative comments about service lately, but this experience certainly has me rethinking whether I should even keep the watch if I am going to have to go through this every few years. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with a B-1 and, if so, how was it resolved?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sorry, I've yet to have my B-1 batt changed or serviced so I can't help, but welcome to the forum and keep safe over there. I'll leave it to the more experienced members to tackle your problem.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,833 Posts
Hello Drevil,
I can imagine that it would peeve you after so much time and effort that it doesn't feel right. On reflection, you are a lot closer to Breitling Switzerland then BUSA given the current geography of your situation. Perhaps sending them a letter or phoning the head office might bring a different sort of technicality ability to bear on the problem once you have arranged to send it to their service department for attention.
Worth a shot I reckon.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i bought mine last year 2006 and haven't done any battery change or service to it ... checking my B-1, you have a point there, it should approximately have same resistance and click feel to both buttons ... recommend that if you send it back for another re-servicing, accompany it with a letter specifying the problem so that they address it fully

as was said above, Breitling should be satisfying you ... so far, they have done fine so far for me on my SO :)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
i bought mine last year 2006 and haven't done any battery change or service to it ... checking my B-1, you have a point there, it should approximately have same resistance and click feel to both buttons ... recommend that if you send it back for another re-servicing, accompany it with a letter specifying the problem so that they address it fully

as was said above, Breitling should be satisfying you ... so far, they have done fine so far for me on my SO :)

As it is under warranty, send them the shipping bill for the reservice. I don't they that they will pay the original bill, but they should pick up the bill for the reservice.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
would it be better (or more expensive) to go through an AD or directly to Breitling? (Am not sure of breitling directly accepts services) ?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
would it be better (or more expensive) to go through an AD or directly to Breitling? (Am not sure of breitling directly accepts services) ?
I know in the US you can send directly to BUSA. I am fairly certain it is the same in the UK. You should be able to call and ask.

Personally, I send directly to BUSA and avoid the dealer. I like my dealer, but I feel it is quicker doing it directly, since I know it is going right out to BUSA and not sitting around to be shipped, I also don't have to wait for the dealer to call me to pick it up when it is done as BUSA sends it directly to the house.

I have no idea if the dealer tacks on a charge for helping with the serrvice but this way I don't have to worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts