WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first real watch, right now my attention is on the b42 marinemaster but I'm worried this watch nay be too pretty and not enough of the
tool watch I want it to be. I'm not a diver but I am a mariner, this watch would get banged around considerably and be continually exposed to salt water, just how durable / rugged is this watch? Can any owners testify? Any other recommendations? Also looking at the Sinn U series, any comment. Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had a Fortis B-42 GMT for about 3 years, great watch - beautiful and rugged. I currently have a Sinn U1 (my second time around) on bracelet.

Loved my B-42, however I think Sinn's casework, fit and finish is a little better, and the submariner steel will hold up better against scratches and bangs (I wear my watches daily and my U1 is still perfect).

I think either would hold-up well against salt water, although Sinn's submarine steel is specially formulated to withstand salt water.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have heard nothing but positive reviews on the B42. Of course the Sinn is a classic too, but the new/strangely odd yet awesome bezel on the Marinemaster looks awesome to me. I even posted a question about this watch on the Fortis forum, as I am close to purchasing one now, and got some balanced information in return. They are tough, with a better movement than the U1, same style of fitted strap, and to me a more rare watch. But what would push me towards the Fortis, besides the design, would be the day-date feature, and movement.
But either way you cannot go wrong.
Best regards
Aaron

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just curious, are you saying the 2836 (I assume that's what Fortis is using) is better than the 2824, or that the Fortis is using a higher grade of the 2836 and Sinn is using a lower grade of the 2824?

I have heard nothing but positive reviews on the B42. Of course the Sinn is a classic too, but the new/strangely odd yet awesome bezel on the Marinemaster looks awesome to me. I even posted a question about this watch on the Fortis forum, as I am close to purchasing one now, and got some balanced information in return. They are tough, with a better movement than the U1, same style of fitted strap, and to me a more rare watch. But what would push me towards the Fortis, besides the design, would be the day-date feature, and movement.
But either way you cannot go wrong.
Best regards
Aaron

·
Registered
735 Posts
David,
I stand corrected. I suppose better was a poor way for me to describe a preferential selection. I would rather have a day-date function for sure, but that doesn't make the movement better, as they are very similar in construction.
After a bit of reading, I was unable to find out whether or not Fortis used a higher grade movement than the Sinn. More research to be done!
Apologies for the assumption.
I have heard that the Sinn is regulated quite well.
Sorry for misleading anyone with my statements.
Best regards
Aaron

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Fortis B42 Marinemaster (I prefer the older bezel style on mine shown below to the new one, but to each his own). Awesome build, extremely firm, solid, and precise bezel action. It is a fantastic looking watch (and I like both the black dial and lume dial models a whole lot), but I wouldn't exactly call it "pretty"...maybe "handsome" would be a better description...it still comes across as classic, rugged, with just a bit of tool feel to it IMO.

The watch is extremely rugged IMO and will take anything you dish out. Like the Sinn, the crystal is double AR coated (so it includes an AR coating on the outside of the crystal too)...some people like double AR and some don't...I'm one of those that loves it and with a clean crystal the dial absolutely pops!:-!

A very solidly built piece all the way around, and I prefer it on the excellent Fortis bracelet! I can't comment on the comparison to the Sinn U series since I've never experienced the Sinn (but would love to someday).

Here's some pics of mine:

The Lume Dial Version is cool too...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mentioned the automatic movement in the Sinn, I know this just takes the comparison to completely diffrent levels but I was looking at the UX, quartz movement, there's a fortis dealer close by in va I think I'll check out when I get off the boat, see what they say when I bang it on the edge of the counter,if he flinches i know to go for the Sinn!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
When I first saw the Fortis B-42 about a year and half ago I fell in love instantly!!! IMO it's one of the BEST looking watches on the planet!! I also have an interest in the U1 too though! If I ever stumble over either one of the watches used and at a good deal the will be mine! I've been on the micro/boutique bandwagon for the last year trying out as many of the ones that interest me, I think I'm close to being satisfied with the ones I've decided to keep. Now I can concentrate on the Sinn and Fortis models I've been eying for a long time!! This thread is a serious enabler!! I'm off to search out some more pictures of the 2!!

I would hate to be in your position trying to decide between two of the best watches in their category! It's a very hard thing to do ain't it?? Good luck!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
They are both quality watches that will likely serve you well.
Choose on looks/price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts