WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched this for a little bit but could not find much. Brooklyn watch case company made wrist watch cases? Can anyone assist me on finding out date and if this is a common solid 14 gold hinged watch case wrist watch or just a common piece. Besides the value which I'm interested in learning I'm more interested in on why I do not see any of these on the internet.

Movement is marked "ZILA WATCH SWISS'' ... It is Marked "HALLMARK" with UPPERCASE " [G] " inside of a square below it.
THIS MOVEMENT WORKS. I want it up fully and it ticked for over two days. Zila: and it has 16 jewels. Also Marked TWO 2 adj." And has the dial with MARKINGS : "AF & RS"

One of the gears has either been engraved, or has a marking, or is just some weird micro gunk on the gear... It looks like a squirrel's tail almost but the positioning doesn't make sense and it says thin as a piece of hair. Both gears are nicely High polished. I know that the squirrel represents 14 karat gold. there's also a sapphire crown or a bluish gem on the crown...

Spell styles are metallic blue and there is no second hand.

Try to see in the in the photos
The band is not solid 14 karat gold but it is gold filled and matches the case pretty well the band is Marked "Wrist Lace" 1/10 14K G.F.

There are no markings on the outside of the case or on the back period but it is nicely heavily engraved.

The hinged inside of case is call Lynn "warranted 14k to assay." With the Brooklyn watch case companies logo "B.W.C. Co. Inside of a dog bone"

The serial number is 133668....
The other side of Keys has Roman numerals three, six, seven and eight (III,VI,VII & VIII)

I WISH THERE WAS A WATCHMAKER'S REPAIR SERVICE MAINTENANCE MARK BUT THERE IS NO MARKINGS ON THE INSIDE OF HIS WATCH...

I WAS AMAZED ON HOW LONG THE WATCH TICKED AND RAN FOR AND KEPT PRETTY GOOD TIME BEFORE APPROXIMATELY 48 HOURS AND WHEN I PICK IT UP AGAIN TODAY IT STARTED TICKING SO I HAD MORE TO GO.

ALL INFORMATION IS DEEPLY APPRECIATED... I DID MY RESEARCH ON THE BROOKLYN WATCH CASE COMPANY BUT I FOUND NOTHING ABOUT THE ZILA MOVEMENT AND I COULDN'T FIND ANOTHER WATCH CASE LIKE IT.

Oh its a stretchable band that has one extra link for adjustment

THANK YOU !!!

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,042 Posts
Sorry - can't help you with the movement. Zila Watch Co., however, was registered in 1922 in La Heutte, Switzerland, so that seems to be a minimum age for the watch.

Oh, and: Welcome to Watchuseek!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Back at the turn of the 20th century, there were a lot of spurious claims going around about the metal content and purity in the jewelry industry. The government finally stepped in and set standards for the industry to follow.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
but the inside of case clearly says "WARRANTED 14K ASSAY."
??????
Which means gold plate. If it were solid gold it wouldn't have the warranted on it. It would be a 14K hallmark

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Which means gold plate. If it were solid gold it wouldn't have the warranted on it. It would be a 14K hallmark
I don't think that's exactly true. Gold plated (filled) cases have 'Warranted XX years' mark. I think Warranted 14K to Assay should be solid gold. Still, in USA sometimes markings were purposely made misleading. Search for brassing where wear can be seen - it might actually be solid gold.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would also expect a solid gold case. I like the watch band . The gold in that gold filled band is more than twice the more common 1/20 10k.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've got a half dozen or so of those cases I'd be real happy to part with for scrap less 10%.....:-x

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I don't think that's exactly true. Gold plated (filled) cases have 'Warranted XX years' mark. I think Warranted 14K to Assay should be solid gold. Still, in USA sometimes markings were purposely made misleading. Search for brassing where wear can be seen - it might actually be solid gold.
Yep, you are correct, it would have for how many years. Thanks for clarifying that.
But the "to Assay" still throws me. Wouldn't it be "US Assay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got a camera that can only focus when it wants to... or my cell phone is always warm, and when its hot it takes crap photos, so i used my 10x loop and my phone takes great shots if i take auto focus off...see photos .. i will take a few more...thx

so with the zila watch mov't and sapphire crown -- (which has shown to run excellent for almost 2 days on a full wind + some more. on the 46th hour it stopped and by the next morning i picked it up and it started up to t IMG_20170617_155422.jpg IMG_20170617_155814.jpg ick for 15 minuets more until i put it away.) --

and the Brooklyn Watch Case Company case with the stretchy band (I ALMOST SOLD FOR 75.00 BUCKS YESTERDAY BUT I DECIDED SINCE I CANT FIND ONE LIKE IT THAN IT MUST BE A BIT RARE AND I SHOULD TALK TO SMART KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE)

i thought warranted 14K 20 YEARS meant "plated" ... just "warranted to assay." - well i dont know what that means. (i dont know sh*t really) (im not into watches...im into models trains and scaled structures!) but if it says 10 years or 20 years that mean on average usage the watch will get worn and you will see base metal in that many years? and get it replated or replaced under warranty? lol yeah right...

so is it gold plated? should i keep it? or should i have taken the 75.00 for it cuz its only worth about 39.00 if im lucky ?? i dont know. i dont want to sell it, it was found with a number of item in jewelry cases and costume jeweler boxes from a great deceased relative...but i dont wanna hold on to something that is not that uncommon ... or only worth 40.00 buck...

thank you to all previous reply's with good info:

simpletreasures
Hartmut Richter...1922, really thank you... i couldnt find anything... and you got the city... wow... goood stuff! thank you. SO HOW MUCH? zila? why i dont see any on ebay?
pmwas
Giotime - Search for brassing where wear can be seen"... Like a plated silverware spoon that looks like s**t kinda look? like a homeless man used it and never washed and used it to cook his dope in kinda look? like wear u can see the two tone difference in layers of metal ? none man, I SEARCHED, ALL I SEE IS THE SAME PRECIOUS METALLIC ... I SEE NO WEAR AND TEAR OR WORN AREAS FOR BRASS TO POKE THROUGH...should i file or scratch the dog garn thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what is that on the gear IMG_20170617_155835.jpg
IMG_20170617_155909.jpg
awesome band
IMG_20170617_160033.jpg
is it solid...really,,, plated ?
IMG_20170617_160019.jpg
what the heck is that on the gear, a squrrel tail...? idk
IMG_20170617_155851.jpg

what do i value this piece as when i show it?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I really don't think this piece is a rarity. It is a very nice piece that frankly is under -appreciated in today's market. On eBay you should be able to see sold listings for similar items. Look at antique ladies Hamiltons or Elgins or Walthams that are similar. Don't look at asking prices. Look at sold prices. I think you will find that they usually sell for around, maybe at times a little above gold scrap value. Can't tell how big your case size is but these pieces usually have 3.5-5 grams of gold. (Assuming solid case, which I think it is ). If you like it or someone you know appreciates it, it may be worth more to keep and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I really don't think this piece is a rarity. It is a very nice piece that frankly is under -appreciated in today's market. On eBay you should be able to see sold listings for similar items. Look at antique ladies Hamiltons or Elgins or Walthams that are similar. Don't look at asking prices. Look at sold prices. I think you will find that they usually sell for around, maybe at times a little above gold scrap value. Can't tell how big your case size is but these pieces usually have 3.5-5 grams of gold. (Assuming solid case, which I think it is ). If you like it or someone you know appreciates it, it may be worth more to keep and enjoy it.
This comment is so spot-on that there is nothing left to add.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts