WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I used to be somewhat active around 1.5 years ago. I took a break from looking and reading about watches because I didn't want to be tempted to buy something before my schedule allows. I guess you could call that self discipline, right? XD Anyway, the news of the CHF to Euro exchange rate made me reconsider my personal schedule. Prices are likely to increase more than normal, and it makes sense for me to buy now than 2 years from now. Don't worry because I already have my budget right now; I only planned on buying 2 years from now because I'd like to space out my watch purchases.

So, since I've been away for a while and don't know as much anymore, I'm back on WUS to get more options on my next watch.

Criteria:
1. < $,8000
2. < 42mm, preferably < 40mm
3. Steel only
4. No Rolex, no Panerai. I won't change my mind so don't suggest them.
5. No divers
6. Simple, clean aesthetic

My options so far:
1. JLC MUT Moon 39 - If you remember, this is my grail. I could buy it right now, but I don't feel like it's the right time. Part of the grail is the emotional connection and the thrill of the chase, and I don't think it's time for me to buy it just yet. I'd like nothing more than to have it on my wrist, but I feel like there is a better time to get this. I actually just went to an AD, and I feel strongly that this isn't it yet.

jaeger_master-ultrathin39c.jpg

2. Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date - I love those subdials, and this watch looks great in pictures. However ADs are somewhat harder to find compared to others, so I've never seen it in person.

3d322d446bb8c0fa0a53245a9f2afa7c.jpg

3. Glashutte Original Senator Observer - Might be over budget? Not sure. Basically the same look as the Hand Date but different functions.

L1170628.jpg

4. Glashutte Original Panomatic Lunar - Pretty sure this is overbudget, but I'm just putting it here as an example.
5. Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope, then save the rest - I like the aesthetics of this watch but I feel like it defeats the purpose of buying something because I don't want to get hit by the price increases
6. Montblanc Orbis Terrarum - Just announced for SIHH so it won't be out for a while, but pictures look amazing.

montblanc-heritage-spirit-orbis-terrarum-03_l.jpg

7. Vintage Heuer Autavia, or Vintage JLC Memovox

Buying vintage or second hand is fine, but I'd prefer new this time. Because if I were buying used I'd be super tempted to get something like a Speake Marin Serpent Calendar (saw one for ~$10k used). So yeah, I guess you should know what I like. Any idea, especially new ones that I don't know, would be great. Thanks!

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Welcome back. Some great choices. For me it would be between the JLC, GO Pano Lunar, and Vintage JLC. It would be close but I would probably go GO Pano.

Since JLC is your grail, maybe go there. No time like the present

bacari

Reactions: LadyTime

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The way I see it, you can either:
a. Get your grail
b. Get your grail, or
c. Get your grail

So you have a choice. I'd have a hard time deciding which of these options I would choose!

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
Welcome back! All the watches you suggest definitely have a theme, and if you're into fancy pieces they all look nice enough. I was going to suggest a Rolex.....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing about the JLC is I'm waiting for a big moment in my life before I get it. And there's nothing this year, so I don't want to rush it. When I was at the AD earlier I knew it wasn't the time yet. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions of other timepieces that have the same aesthetic, but obviously don't look exactly the same (so no time only + moonphase).

I've nothing against Rolex, it's just not my style :)

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
The GO would be my first brand suggestion.

If you like clean and simple what about a Grand Seiko of some type?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Have you looked at Nomos at all? they have outstandingly simple dials with beautiful in house movements.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like you like the GO PML, but don't want another time only+moonphase since you'll be getting the JLC MUT Moon in the future. May I suggest the slightly less expensive GO PMD as an option? The display back must be seen in person to fully appreciate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dude, get the MUT Moon. It's literally one of the most beautiful watches ever made. It will never get old. It will always feel right. It will always be stunning. Given your criteria, it also fits perfectly. Your only other alternatives would be to "level up" to Patek or A. Lange and Sohne, and it that point, it becomes debatable as to what is "better". Get the MUT Moon. :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Are you willing to buy grey market? Because the GO PML can be found below $8K that way sometimes.

If you want something a little more unusual... maybe an RGM 222 :

1-222-1.png

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies

Re: Grand Seiko - Well since my reason for buying now is the CHF, so this would kinda defeat the purpose. A GS Snowflake is on the list though.

Re: Nomos - Already have a Club datum so I don't feel like getting another Nomos yet. Maybe if they made the Lambda in steel

Re: FC - Not looking for a substitute for the MUT :)

Re: GO Panomatic Date - I like the Hand Date better, but I do like the Panomatic Reserve. But that's already close to the Senator Observer and PML. Guess this can only be decided by visiting an AD and putting them all on.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
A Nardin Dual Time may also be a good choice, especially if the complication would be of use to you

·
Registered
302 Posts
Out of your list the JLC MUT moon is the only I have seen in person and it is absolutely stunning. If it's your grail I would go for it.

That being said if I was looking for something in that price range the GO pml would also be high on my list. If possible I would say try those in person and let your heart decide.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In the last 18 months i think Nomos and Grand Seiko has gotten a lot of traction around here. Might be worth checking them out if you haven't.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The JLC has the cleanest dial out of the bunch. But I like the larger crown on the Glashutte. You're going to have to get both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You don't say what kind of dollars you use but assuming USD , that four of your choices are German and that the € is falling like a stone while the USD is getting stronger I think that the revaluation of the CHF is irrelevant.
I had a chance to see the GO hand date close up in Barcelona last year and it certainly is a looker.

·
Registered
323 Posts
15843-1.jpg
Jaeger-LeCoultre-Geophysic-1958-steel.jpg

I know I know no Rolex but it's a pretty sweet dial :)

cellini_dual_time_m50525-0004_0001_1680x107014276174527179xNZ.jpg

All I have off the top of my head atm...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts