WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Rolex 14270 Explorer
5,060 Posts
That is a very intriguing watch for sure. When you have a opportunity a review of sorts would prove valuable. Certainly would like to know if it met or exceeded your expectations. Cheers to owning a unique one!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Just lovely!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just lovely!
Thank you. :)

Some initial thoughts and impressions on this Seiko SACM171, as promised:

I had doubted the aesthetics and legibility of this watch a little, having been only able to view it on the internet. I shouldn't have worried: It is so much nicer in real life than in pictures. This is mainly down to the dial, which looks a cold silver when photographed but which actually changes colour according to light conditions, ranging from whitish-silver to almost-champagne. The case has a very appealing layered design. The contrast between the highly polished hands and matte dial gives surprisingly good legibility.

This is a small watch by modern standards, at 33.5mm diameter, and, combined with the dial this gives it a lovely vintagey feel. A comparison with its more prosaic SSK693P1 brother is instructive:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Though there is only a negligible difference in size (34 vs 33.5mm), the SACM171 is visually smaller. For me this is no problem, as I actively prefer classically-sized wristwatches. The watch is so light as to be almost unnoticable when worn.

The supplied strap is hideous: A perfectly decent (very comfortable, actually) leather strap has been ruined by Seiko glueing a layer of shiny fake aligator on top of it. I have ordered some perlon straps as replacements and may go for cordovan in the future. The lug width is 17mm so the availability of straps is somewhat limited compared to watches with 18 or 20mm lug widths.

I've only had the watch a few days, so can't comment on the accuracy of the 8J41 thermocompensated movement yet, though have no reason to doubt it. The seconds hand aligns very well with the markers almost all of the way around the dial, though not quite as perfectly as on the SSK693P1 pictured above.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I went with perlon for a while, but it's a bit too casual for the dial, which really is nice. You can find 17mm, but it is certainly harder to do so...particularly if you have a smaller wrist, which is rather plausible given the watch size.

You may want to check Etsy. LOTS of made-to-order strap makers. In fact...I used this seller for a navy blue cordovan for my Oris Thelonius Monk. He doesn't *list* all the straps in 17mm, but drop him a line. He'll customize length and stitching, so I expect a 17 tapering to 16 should be no problem.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/221452...earch_query=17mm watch strap&ref=sr_gallery_2

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice watch. I have been tempted to purchase one but was put off by the low water resistance. I can understand using a press back case to keep it extra slim but I would like a screw down crown for a little more water resistance. Still there is a lot to like about it.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
It's a lovely watch just a bit undone by that shiny stock strap. I too am a fan of smaller watches these days and would be all over that watch if it was 35-40mm. 34mm is my absolute breaking point before my 7.5" tattooed arm would look like it had a stolen woman's/young boy's watch around it.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
There really isn't a dial to match it in that size range until you get to GS. The Citizen Exceed AR400x family is the size, but the dials are not as nice. All the offerings from the Swatch brands would best be called 'functional' in my book, and are getting into the larger end anyway. The Wempe mentioned here, maybe:

HAQ Dress watches under $1000? - Page 2

The older Longines VHPs, if you can find them, would also count, altho I gotta say, I love the style of the Seiko dial. NOT something you see every day. The VHPs are nice but not nearly as distinctive.

Reactions: 0b5cur1ty

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I am about a hair close to ordering that AR4000-55e that I believe you have. I think if it had a kanji day window I'd already be filling out a form with my Paypal! I agree that the dauphine hands on a GS can't be had for less except in this form. Someone at Seiko probably knew this, bastards! :)

I had owned a couple of the SBGX series GS and loved them dearly, so much so that I couldn't bear to keep owning them because I'd obsess over every little scratch and my job wasn't helping with that.

The SADM009 is the closest you get to the SACM171 with a more substantial yet "small" case. Unfortunately much of the elegance is lost, along with the HAQ movement in lieu of a radio controlled one. If I wanted radio controlled, I'd be wearing a domestic model Citizen! (Which is a better watch than I care to admit)

Actually looked at used VHPs earlier today. After seeing THOSE prices on OLD models? No thanks.

There really isn't a dial to match it in that size range until you get to GS. The Citizen Exceed AR400x family is the size, but the dials are not as nice. All the offerings from the Swatch brands would best be called 'functional' in my book, and are getting into the larger end anyway. The Wempe mentioned here, maybe:

HAQ Dress watches under $1000? - Page 2

The older Longines VHPs, if you can find them, would also count, altho I gotta say, I love the style of the Seiko dial. NOT something you see every day. The VHPs are nice but not nearly as distinctive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a lovely watch just a bit undone by that shiny stock strap. I too am a fan of smaller watches these days and would be all over that watch if it was 35-40mm. 34mm is my absolute breaking point before my 7.5" tattooed arm would look like it had a stolen woman's/young boy's watch around it.
I empathise. I tend to regard 35mm as the optimum size (depending on style/bezel of course) if I'm honest. The Seiko is absolutely fine for me, albeit at the smaller end of my acceptable range, but my wrist is smaller than yours.

The dial on this watch really is something special: It changes colour and character completely, depending on the light. It's very absorbing... and the hands are rather lovely too. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you informally tested this watch's water resistance? The low water resistance makes me want to disregard this watch altogether even though I really like its thinness among other things. I would not want to take it swimming but imagine hand washing a sink full of dishes or washing the pet dog or bathing an infant. In such situations I worry that water would enter the watch. And what about getting caught out in a typhoon or heavy rainstorm for that matter where it is pouring rain out of buckets.

Is Seiko being too conservative about seals around the pressback case and watch stem? Or is water resistance so low that one barely dares to wash their hands.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't tested it but I certainly wouldn't worry about wearing it during normal activities like washing your hands or in the rain. It is a water resistant watch, just not to a high degree: There's a rubber seal under that case-back and I trust Seiko's construction quality. :)

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
When they say only 'water resistant'...that's casual water. Like caught in a light rain shower, or from normal hand washing. Serious rain, one can hope to have an umbrella. Or shelter it. And NOT immersion. I used to hand-wash practically all my dishes. When it's a bunch, it's easier to fill up a sink with warm to hot soapy water. For that...I'd either wear NO watch, or my beater Citizen with 100m WR and a perlon strap (which also dries faster). But I'd not risk damaging a good strap by soaking it anyway, so to me that's just common sense.

It's not a sport watch, it's a dress watch. Doesn't mean you baby it, but it's not gonna handle bad treatment. I do agree that if you live in a frequent heavy-rain area, there may be grounds for concern...but just plan as best you can. Heck, worst case, take it off and slip it into a pocket or briefcase.

And I can also understand the point that you don't want to worry about it. :) Then at least 50m WR is an essential requirement for you, and that eliminates this guy. Perfectly sensible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts