WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up at the flea market today. It seems to be an early 80s quartz. On the dial it says "Swiss made" and on the inside of the case back it says "bulova USA". But the real kicker is the early ESA 7 jewel quartz movement. It's a blue circuit

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
that looks nicer than any modern day bulova :)

Reactions: stratct

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Bulova, even after its sale to Citizen, is a US based company. Although, since the 1960's there has been no movement manufacture in the US, and scant case production. All watches were imported either as fully assembled watches or as parts. Bulova isn't really all that confused, just truthful....

The movement looks to be a high quality ETA 956.031, those were in production through the 1980s. Ranfft gives the production dates from 1979 to 1986.

Reactions: stratct

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks guys! It's pretty cool

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,619 Posts
Nice thin Bulova dress watch from the 1980's. Bulova was not so much confused as sourcing parts from many locations. Consequently the dial indicates it is Swiss Made, the movement is Swiss Made, the back and maybe the case were stamped Made in USA and the leather strap came from somewhere. It is a good example of how most watches are not in-house purebreds but assembled mongrels.

·
Registered
31,361 Posts
You sure have a great eye for nice vintage watches. Really like the case design. Nice.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Bulova, even after its sale to Citizen, is a US based company. Although, since the 1960's there has been no movement manufacture in the US, and scant case production. All watches were imported either as fully assembled watches or as parts. Bulova isn't really all that confused, just truthful....

The movement looks to be a high quality ETA 956.031, those were in production through the 1980s. Ranfft gives the production dates from 1979 to 1986.
RGM.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm surprised you guys put up with my constant acquisitions lol.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Wasn't / I think there were tariff implications so to get around the extra expense companies like Bulova assembled in the US instead of importing the entire watch for places like Switzerland?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts