WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to drive myself nuts looking at all the pictures on this forum! I bought a Seamaster GMT (black face) from my military PX, an AD - who knew! But it's on backorder. So now I'm waiting, probably three weeks. I almost wish I had just bought it from a dealer who had it in stock so I could have it now. But the money thing makes it worth the wait, I guess... At least that's what I keep telling myself.

So can I ask some questions of you folks who have lived with your Omega's for a while? From my searches of previous threads I get the impression that the watch is pretty hardy, that's a big part of why I picked it. But I have some specific activities that I wonder if the watch will stand up to.

So do you wear your Omega -Seamaster specifically- for the following activities, or would you feel comfortable doing so:

Riding a motorcycle (a real bike that shakes and roars, not a Honda), skydiving, running, mountain biking, rappelling, playing baseball/softball, touch or flag football, backpacking, snowshoeing...

I realize there are better specific tools for these activities than an Omega, I have a digital stopwatch for running and a Suunto for backpacking. But I would like to know if, should I want to do these things, I could while wearing the watch. Once I get it, I don't see myself wanting to take it off...

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm...

60-some views and no replies. I guess I can think of two reasons. Either no one wears or can imagine wearing their Omega during recreational activities; or I've breached forum etiquette in some way. Maybe this topic has been done to death. I must not have used the right search terms to find all of the previous threads.

If it's the former, I guess I'll be the guinea pig. If it's the latter, sorry. Maybe someone could PM me and clue me in.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Just fine for all of the above

Sorry for the delayed response, Steve. The SMP is designed to take a whole lotta abuse. You should wear it with confidence in all the activities you mention.

I hope it shows up soon!

eric

·
Registered
137 Posts
Side question

Just out of curiosity, what did the PX charge vs. MSRP? Typical AD is about a 15% discount.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't play many sports in my SMP, other than trap shooting, but I do wear mine to work in a factory everyday. It's been banged, clanged, and bumped into anything you can think of. Covered in grease, hydraulic oil, and various solvents; never had a problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks! I feel pretty good about getting it as a daily watch. I'm especially glad to hear you say you wear it in a shooting sport, RTA. A shotgun will give a pretty good jolt.

kccastle, the PX listed it at $1699, no tax. The lowest price from a local AD I got was $1850. I seriously considered going online for a used watch. The prices I found were not a whole lot less than the PX price, maybe 2-3 hundred less. Getting it new and with the warranty is worth that, I think.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The SMP is built like a tank and should be fine.

I have to admit though I wear a G Shock for any activity as I find the crown uncomfortable when it digs into my wrist.

·
6,880 Posts
Congrats on the new watch Steve!
You're not from Georgia are ya?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not from Georgia. I'm currently assigned to support a Reserve unit in Denver, Co. Every Reserve unit has a few active duty soldiers to keep the trucks running and prepare the training for the Reservists' monthly drills.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Caffeinated,

i have SMP GMT and i wear it hiking, will wear skiing this winter.. i don't wear it cycling (neither road nor mt) not because it can't take it but i am prone to crashing (at times at highspeeds) so i don't want to be worrying about my watch when i go over the handle bars...

enjoy your SMP.

cheers,

Q

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I've thought about that! I suppose a real "00" would have to wear a G Shock. Omega would probably hate a real Bond, imagine the warranty claims...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts