WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so anyone else got the email re the new balloting system for the FO?

sigh. this really sucks. waiting over a year, and now i have to ballot for the piece i want (swan neck caseback).

im curious, anyone here know what was the last number or range on the waiting list that got the watch befor ethe movement supply stopped? i.e. was it over 300 or still under 300.

also, for those on the list still want, would u guys settle for a non swan neck or non sapphire case version? bearing in mind there are only 70 pieces left for the sapphire csaebac with swan neck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, they were stuck at #132. They have 70 FO with saphire case-back and swanneck, 60 without swanneck and 70 with a massive caseback. That means that delivery will stop at #332.

So unless you have a waiting number below or in the range of 332, you can all but forget about the FO.

To all that are disappointed may I point this thread out? There are still a few entries left.

·
Vendor
921 Posts
Hello everybody,

today we have send a newsletter to all customer who have reserved a Flieger Original.

We are not able at the moment to deliver all watches we have in preorder.

Here you can read the reasons.

http://www.stowa.de/fo.htm

Best regards

Your STOWA Team and Jörg Schauer

But all people who have prereserved and can´t get a watch will have the chance to win a Flieger Original in July :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad I didn't get my hopes up too much. I'm number 577 on the list so unless there are a whole lot of cancellations I won't get a watch this time. Hopefully STOWA will be able to source either the same or similar movements sometime in the future, at least they will respect the order of the original reservation list if/when that time comes.

I would also ask that people on the FO serial list get first priority to order any limited edition Fliegers that may be released in the future (like the limited edition 2801 Flieger from last year).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes.. maybe with durowe movement. and i do hope they will give those who lost out this time priority.

i cant see how stowa can not have FO on its product list.. its such an iconic watch.

but sad to say this whole whole episode has made me look upon stowa far less rosily.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bloody hell. I got the email. I'm #623 (October 2008.) I'm sorely disappointed. Unless 300 people opt out completely, there's almost no way (there is the raffle) for me to get an FO. I would hope that Stowa would give those of us who were on the list and who didn't get an FO first dibs on a future release or special edition or something. And I hope Stowa will keep us on the list in the event that movements can be sourced in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
but sad to say this whole whole episode has made me look upon stowa far less rosily.
Why is that? They are a small company that build watches on a small scale, not manufacture them. They simply put a number of pre-fabricated parts together if you like. So, if a company that makes the center-hack modification to the Unitas movement that you use stops doing so, it's the end of the line.

This has always been the case. So I wonder why you are looking at Stowa differently.

Makes me wonder if the recent ETA policy change has something to do with it or not. I would not think so, but you can't be sure. Is the ETA 6497 and 6498 still available to small companies? If yes, then why is it so hard to find a company that does the center-hack modification for you?
The work itself is not that complicated, especially on the large 6497 movement.

Anyhoe, it's a shame that about 1000 watch lovers don't get their FO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even though it is disappointing for those of us who will miss out, to be fair to Stowa, the reason for the delay was completely out of their control (and sad for the movement finisher's family). I admire Stowa for being upfront about the situation and trying to find the fairest solution for everybody, and also for keeping us all informed.

A small company like Stowa will not give up over 1 million euros worth of orders lightly so I am sure they will do their best to get the FO back onto their model range.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I am order No. 1166.

Even though I knew it was not something that was "around the corner" I still am a little bummed out about it.

I am willing to wait whatever time needed in order to get a FO. Hopefully they can either find more of the unitas movements some where or maybe begin using another, similar movement. I just don't see how Stowa can just stop producing their most iconic watch.

I really hope I eventually end up with one of these watches.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Why is that? They are a small company that build watches on a small scale, not manufacture them. They simply put a number of pre-fabricated parts together if you like. So, if a company that makes the center-hack modification to the Unitas movement that you use stops doing so, it's the end of the line.
i can understand the issue they are having with movements.. but as an earlier posted highlighted, the last no that was delivered was around 132. i ordered mine in april last year. my no was 399 i think. the movement issue only surfaced recently, so even before that came up, they already had a huge backlog of orders that they were not able to keep up with. even with the movement thing, i still dont know why they cant secure an alternative supplier. they are not the only company making a flieger with handwinding centre seconds.

they should have closed this list much earlier to keep delivery times within reasonable expectations.

. at least not so many people would be dissapointed, but right now, thats about 1000 dissapointed customers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i can understand the issue they are having with movements.. but as an earlier posted highlighted, the last no that was delivered was around 132. i ordered mine in april last year. my no was 399 i think. the movement issue only surfaced recently, so even before that came up, they already had a huge backlog of orders that they were not able to keep up with. even with the movement thing, i still dont know why they cant secure an alternative supplier. they are not the only company making a flieger with handwinding centre seconds.

they should have closed this list much earlier to keep delivery times within reasonable expectations.

. at least not so many people would be dissapointed, but right now, thats about 1000 dissapointed customers.

I'm #583 so I won't be getting an FO anytime soon. We are all disappointed but none of us has paid a single penny/peso/pence/yuan/yens yet. With that, Stowa is under no obligation to deliver anything to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm sure Stowa will remember that this was an extremely popular design and fashion an alternative as parts permit. Personally I was holding out for the new incarnation of the Durowe movement, so I did not get my name on the list. In the next couple of years I'm sure we all will have a great opportunity to purchase new and interesting designs.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I was (am) 987. Oh well. The original timetable had my order delivered right around when I am to defend my PhD. It was going to be my gift to myself for becoming a doctor (not the useful kind:-d). Now I get to look for another watch to fit the bill. Man, wouldn't it be awesome to win that one Flieger? Lucky devil, whoever it will be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure Stowa will remember that this was an extremely popular design and fashion an alternative as parts permit. Personally I was holding out for the new incarnation of the Durowe movement, so I did not get my name on the list. In the next couple of years I'm sure we all will have a great opportunity to purchase new and interesting designs.
As I (almost) never buy a watch with a movement I allready have in another watch it's not very likely it will be a Stowa.
As the FO is not obtainable I decided to go for the Sinn 6100 Regulateur and not to wait any longer for a watch that probably will never be. Now how is that for dealing with disappointment, lol! :-!

It doesn't have the center-second hack modification, but it counters that with an absolutely stunning dial!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I can certainly sympathize with those waiting on the FO. I was quite disappointed myself when I learned I didn't make the list for the LE.

This happens in the watch world, unfortunately, but in the same respect, it makes those LE pieces we DO get that much more special.

I have nothing but respect for Jorg and Stowa, and am confident he's handling the situation in the best way possible.

The FO does show up time to time on the secondary market, so don't lost faith!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wonder how many folk will flip the watches? Now that the SE is effectively an LE, the value of both types is likely to go through the roof.

Anyone know of of any other good options for a Type A dial central seconds handwound flieger with no date? The FO was occupying a pretty unique niche as far as I could tell.

Ah well may have to go with an automatic if I don't make the cut. :-(

·
Registered
311 Posts
Any of you guys in line to get one? Any idea how much one would need to pay for one in the secondary market? TIA. JF

1 - 20 of 42 Posts