WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I came around this Tissot Pointer (1950 probably) on a Swedish auction site, looking nice except the numbers and hands. Could the colour on the numbers and hands be original or is it more likely to be bad paintjob?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That's the first Tissot pointer I've seen. Its a very nice watch. But I think you are correct - bad paint job. There are one or two Tissot lovers in here that might just have another for comparison.

Here's one pinched from a dealer's site:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It looks like a bad paint job to me. The hands I believe are incorrect. I have a Tissot Pointer Date at home and the hands are similar to the picture posted by Marrick and the dial is to dark. I believe it's a bad refinish.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,090 Posts
Hello!
I came around this Tissot Pointer (1950 probably) on a Swedish auction site, looking nice except the numbers and hands. Could the colour on the numbers and hands be original or is it more likely to be bad paintjob?
It's a bad paint job and the whole dial was likely redone. On close inspection the lettering and markers will show similar problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh ok, thats to bad.. destoying a watch like that o|

i will now have to look for another one, wouldnt you guys even buy it for 50EUR?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,090 Posts

i will now have to look for another one, wouldnt you guys even buy it for 50EUR?
I'd have a look at the movement. If you really want the watch and can either live with the appearance or are willing to pay for the repairs, then go for it.

There are enough other good used watches that would catch my eye.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well we don't do valuations. But the one in the picture I posted is on sale for just under £1000 - not that that is a definitive value. So I suppose its a matter of what you would do with it if you bought it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts

If the movement is in good condition and original I personally would buy the watch. I could have it serviced and professionally restored, correctly I might add, for about $350. In the end it would be definitely worth it for myself.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
I'm no expert, but the lume on the hands doesn't seem appropriate for the age of the watch IMO~Cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I am guessing they are guilded under that modern paint. I would buy it for 50 euros like a shot and have a go at redeeming the hands. They also look like they would take lume, which they currently do not have. Odd thing to do to a fundementally wonderful watch.

I don't know if the dial was originally available in that colour, seems in rather suspiciously good condition.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I am guessing they are guilded under that modern paint. I would buy it for 50 euros like a shot and have a go at redeeming the hands. They also look like they would take lume, which they currently do not have. Odd thing to do to a fundementally wonderful watch.

I don't know if the dial was originally available in that colour, seems in rather suspiciously good condition.
For reference, the hands on this one of mine have not been repainted... I am not so sure about the dial, however.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Ooohhh nice one Eeeb! Why have I not seen you post that before :p I think you have been holding out on me. :rodekaart
I must have posted it previously as it was already on my Photobucket account and I remember discussing the calibre with Dr. Ranfft. (I tend to remember exchanges with him as they are so rich with information :).)

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

I think the "11" is original, otherwise the dial numbers have been...how shall I put it..."refreshed". The rest of the dial looks good...lovely watch!

JohnF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts