WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I recently purchased a Bailey, Banks and Biddle 8 day watch at auction that is actually an Eterna watch with a serial number of 2464181. Any information about dates or values would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Thanks for posting and welcome. I think JimH might be able to help with Eterna serial numbers.
Usually if you post a picture of the dial case and (hopefully) movement we can do better with ID.
Values we don't do here. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting and welcome. I think JimH might be able to help with Eterna serial numbers.
Usually if you post a picture of the dial case and (hopefully) movement we can do better with ID.
Values we don't do here. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.

Thanks. More info: This item is a very heavy watch in a three-fold travel-type leather case. The back of the watch says, "Eterna Watch Co" with "SWISS" and the number 2281116 above it. The name on the face of the watch is "Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co. It also says "8 Days" and "SWISS" on its 2" x 3" oval face. The earlier reference to a serial number (2464181) is the one stamped inside, on the movement, but I have closed it, so no photo available right now.

As for photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I should say that's more like a travel clock than a watch. We have had a few like it on the forum in the past. I believe again it's JimH who can help with this one.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, this is really a travel clock not a watch per se.

Based on the serial number on the movement it dates to around 1926.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Hi,

don't worry about different numbers on case and movement. Cases were
produced in about the same quantities like movements. But since there was
always a great variety of case models, they were produced in batches on
stock, and by average earlier than the movements. So the case is almost
always older than the movement, and therefore has a lower number than the
movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

don't worry about different numbers on case and movement. Cases were
produced in about the same quantities like movements. But since there was
always a great variety of case models, they were produced in batches on
stock, and by average earlier than the movements. So the case is almost
always older than the movement, and therefore has a lower number than the
movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
@ Jim H
I also am interested in knowledge about a Eterna watch I inherited from my father. It is the Eterna Matic SA Swiss RA with date. Seriel # 4756530. Can you give me a date of manufacture on it

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
For a precise date you will need to contact Eterna.

http://www.eterna.ch/#/en/company/contact/

They are very helpful and will reply in a week or so. My Eterna has a sn of 4377166. and was made in 1960. So yours will be some time later than that - but not by too much.:-!

Otherwise, please start a new thread with pictures and we'll tell you all we know. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts