WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, why is Ball issuing 135th Anniversary watches this year when 125th Anniversary watches were issued in 2016?

What am I missing with his one?

·
Registered
174 Posts
125th anniversary is with respect to the BALL brand, while 135th anniversary is with respect to the establishment of “standard time”. Found on google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that makes sense. Thanks for the research.

Still a bit confusing, without the explanation, as they do not specify to what event the anniversary specifically refers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I remember completely when I purchased the 135 that the explanation of what was being celebrated was very clear

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
sounds like a scam and cash grab to me......
Great, thoughtful contribution--"a scam..."--in what way, when in actuality, both anniversaries were actually clearly explained in the marketing materials for both watches? And, do you really think people are making a decision to buy either watch (the "cash grab" part) solely (or even marginally) on the basis of commemorating either historical event? Honestly?

I bought the Standard Time a while back because it looked good, but later sold it when I got a watch that had the same vintage vibe, but even better looking to me, their Flying Scotsman, which was also a commemorative watch--to honor the railway of the same name linking London to Edinburgh. Did I buy it because I wanted to connect to that railway?--not at all, in fact I had never even heard of it before--but I sure liked the look of watch (and still do!).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter,

I agree with most of what you said. I have Trainmaster 125th Anniversary, and I am glad that I have it.

It may be clear in the marketing materials which anniversaries are being celebrated, however, if you go to the Ball site for the Trainmaster 125th Anniversary, no mention is made as to which anniversary is being celebrated. Just some context in relation to why I asked the question in the OP.

The engraving on the crystal on the back of the watch states '125 Years of Official Railroad Standard'. This refers to the founding of Ball Watch Company, but with the 135th Anniversary celebrating the establishment of Standard Time, it is not very clear. Hence my confusion.

Personally, I like the history of the brand, and very much like the design of the Trainmaster 125th Anniversary. I do wish that the hands were not painted, and that the movement was hacking, but overall, it's a great watch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts