WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a new Ball coming! It's called the AeroGMTII. I rather like it (though I could do without the silly crown guard thing). I'm quite interested in pre-ordering, but at 2k, I'm not sure I know enough about Ball to make an informed decision.

I've read all the website blurb, and I've been reading posts about Ball since I fancied the Roadmaster (missed out on that). Can anyone help me out with some info?

1) Are Ball worth spending on? 2) What is their lume actually like?
3) Are their gmts based on eta movements and thus have a quick-set 24hour hand not an hour hand quick set?
4) how does the 42mm case sit on a 7 3/8" wrist?
5) their bracelets don't taper much -- does this make them uncomfortable or bulky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
They are trying to make a move to Direct to consumer off-late (ticking off some of their dealer networks in the process as well) and launching a few LE's and early access type new watches directly at seemingly attractive price points. Value for money wise they are really quite good. Build quality is excellent, attention to detail and features wise they always punch above their price point. If anything their problem is with design, creativity, and value retention.

A lot of their watches tend to look quite hideous and attract zero attention while some of the good looking ones arent exactly very creative. They also "updated" some of their lines to designs that arent quite as nice as their previous versions (IMO the Skin diver for example lost a lot of its charm with the update)

They use ETA movements, 2893 probably on this one, the Lume is really really useful. I LOVE their watches for this and frequently find real world use for the ones I have on late picnics, movies, long drives at night, bedside clock in hotel room etc etc etc. Its one of the features on a watch that actually has real world value. Just dont expect it to light up like a Seiko Monster, it will show you the time/markers and show it to you in any darkness even without charging, thats it.

Reegarding the last bit, yes their watches are indeed bulky and their bracelets quite chunky and heavy. But the target market for the Hydrocarbon series like that and buy those watches for that reason. I for one sold my older HC for this very reason, it was too heavy and demanding on the wrist, but I did love the look.

At under 2k the features on this watch are quite terrific IMO for the quality you get, but does the overall design really speak to you? Do you see yourself wearing a chunky heavy watch with so much going on? If you like the look, you can hardly do any better IMO

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Since your questions all concern aspects of Ball watches that are best answered by folks who actually have owned them, why is this not posted in the Ball forum? Having owned more than 50 Ball watches, I can answer your first two questions--first, yes, Ball watches are worth the money--they are in fact often considered one of the best "bang for the buck" watches around, and second, the Ball lume, in the form of their tritium tubes, are arguably the best in the industry, though their traditional lume accents, such as on the bezel, are not.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since your questions all concern aspects of Ball watches that are best answered by folks who actually have owned them, why is this not posted in the Ball forum?
I sort of wanted views from people who weren't Ball groupies as well as those who were. I watched a review recently by a guy who thought Ball lume wasn't as good as the lume on some Rolexes or Omegas -- I've never seen one in the flesh, so I've no comparison! It's this sort of balance that I was looking for.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
. I for one sold my older HC for this very reason, it was too heavy and demanding on the wrist, but I did love the look.

At under 2k the features on this watch are quite terrific IMO for the quality you get, but does the overall design really speak to you? Do you see yourself wearing a chunky heavy watch with so much going on? If you like the look, you can hardly do any better IMO
Excellent information! Thanks! I should note that, according to their site, they've trimmed this watch down a bunch. It's now 42mm not 44mm, and is only 13mm thick. My Bremont (which I think a bit big) is 43mm and 16mm thick; it's mostly the thickness I don't appreciate.

I'd love to try one on first, as I like to feel the fit of a watch, but you don't have that option with these pre-sales things, sadly.

Can you tell me if the HC felt bigger/heavier than the Rolex GMTIIC? I've had one of those and it wore fine -- but on the upper level. My DSSD was too bulky.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I sort of wanted views from people who weren't Ball groupies as well as those who were. I watched a review recently by a guy who thought Ball lume wasn't as good as the lume on some Rolexes or Omegas -- I've never seen one in the flesh, so I've no comparison! It's this sort of balance that I was looking for.

Different technology. Ball used combination of GTLS (gaseous tritium light source) aka tritium tubes and superluminova paint. Omega, Rolex and most other uses superluminova paint of version of it.

Tritium tubes are radioactive, thus self powered. It is glow will be consistently through out the night. Compare to lume paint, which will be super bright after charge but drops off significantly after 5min.

There are after watches uses tritium tubes, Tracer, DeepBlue to name a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: shedlock2000

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've thought about getting some Balls for years but my wife says I can't have any. That said, there are some great deals out there on lightly used Balls And eventually I hope to have at least one. A Ball Deep Quest is definitely on my bucket list.

·
Registered
136 Posts
so I just preordered an AeroGMT2 through their site. I got the blue dial with black strap and added the blue NATO strap. I am glad I came here (as I always do prior to any watch purchase). I have owned 3 Breitlings (Super Avenger, Seawolf, Colt Auto) and a Charmex Swiss Military. All fairly heavy and meaty watches. I think the Aero GMT is the perfect size and height. I am not a fan of the metal bracelet so main reason I opted for the black strap version. Glad to hear good honest info about Ball owners. Much appreciated guys. I will post an update once I get the watch and give my 2 cents on it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I ordered mine, I have pondered over whether to get the metal bracelet as that seems to be the 'norm'. But manage to Google and find some pics on the older model with the rubber strap which looks good too. Basically want the rubber strap as it's more comfortable to wear all the time.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts