WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK we're back from the Holidays and we hope everyone had a good time and is ready for some Ball-Athon fun. The Lume contest has changed this year! This is a speed round so we have a lower question count. For this round we have 16 questions broken into the two groups. Some questions have two answers so you must have both to get the question correct for those it is indicated on. As in the other rounds you will have 48 hours to submit your answers to me via PM (samanator). Segment 4 will kick off immediately after this round on Friday night. Good Luck.

Please see rules here: Ball-Athon 2012-2013 segment dates and Rules

Here is the material for this segment:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Answers PM'ed. That was certainly fun!

Now it's time for me to sleep.. ZZZzzzZ

Don't have to work this week :D:D otherwise i couldnt participate.

·
11,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As a note for question 7 please use the Streamliner photo on Ballwatch.com. If you have submitted already I have accepted your answer and will continue to accept that answer for the picture given and accept the answer for that picture of the corrected one. If you wish to see if you get the change right you can PM me the other answer during the normal contest period.

Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
19,204 Posts
Not enough of available time left for me, I think I'd better save my strength for the last round :p

·
11,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lume Contest is now closed. Results will be posted tomorrow.

·
11,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Ball-Athon Segment 3 Lume (Speed Round) - Answers and Results

OK for those who are competing or just playing at home here are the answers:

1. Engineer Hydrocarbon Magnate (We accepted anything that has the word Magnate in it)
2. A. could be several watches the most common answer that linked to B was TM Racer B. Fireman Racer (I think Ohio was second place for A)
3. A. Ceramic XV B. Ceramic Midsize
4. 120 and Eternity
5. Officer
6. Fireman Storm Chaser B. EMII Freefall
7. We found a Streamliner (see pictures below) that has lume like the 21st Century (So we accepted that), For the corrected photo from Ballwatches.com 60 seconds II was the answer.

8. Fireman Night Train 1st Gen, Previous decade
9. Went from Single color green to tri color (Green, Red, Yellow) (We accepted knowing that some of the markers changed colors from all green)
10. Legend
11. EHC Spacemaster X-Lume (Glow)
12. Phosphors is what actually glows in the tube
13. MB Microtec
14. T
15. Orbital and Standard Space master, but second part was the trick, Ball only states the tubes on the dial and hands for the Orbital, they missed the two in the pushers in the count so the difference is 3 not 1. A few got this.
16. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)

So the placing for this round is as follows:

1stDsaat
2ndCitizen V
3rdbg002h
4thBalldy
5thdjy74

Current unofficial standings after 3 rounds are as follows (want to recheck after we post incase there was an error):

1stCitizen V16
2ndbg002h12
2ndDsaat12
4thBalldy11
5thDjy748
6thLvt2
7thOklahoma0
7thDdc19740

I'll note that this is the second round that 1 point was missed for 6th place if some one just submitted an answer sheet with one answer. Good Luck in Round 4.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

15. Orbital and Standard Space master, but second part was the trick, Ball only states the tubes on the dial and hands for the Orbital, they missed the two in the pushers in the count so the difference is 3 not 1. A few got this.
Ah tricky! Topper's tube count apparently included them or else I would have definitely missed that.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Good job all! I at least won one of the rounds now :)

Citizen V should I congratulate you already? You're doing a very good job!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

Thanks you are too, especially for doing it at 3:00 am shocked.gif . I woke up at 3 for one of Stowa's Advent Calendar sales, and ended up clicking the wrong watch and missing the one I wanted. I imagine if I tried doing one of these segments at that time, I'd fail miserably.

·
11,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So what did you think of the change in the lume contest this year?

One other point, except where indicated we tried to keep it to the the current Ball line up. Had the Secometer still been in the lineup the Ball Pocket watch that came with it had no tubes. Had someone submitted it I would have accepted it for the Ball watch with the least amount of tubes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

I thought the new format was great. Questions on technical data and lume signature comparison was a fun alternative to simple identification.

I really enjoyed it.

-Dan

·
Registered
391 Posts

So what did you think of the change in the lume contest this year?

One other point, except where indicated we tried to keep it to the the current Ball line up. Had the Secometer still been in the lineup the Ball Pocket watch that came with it had no tubes. Had someone submitted it I would have accepted it for the Ball watch with the least amount of tubes.
This is the first time that I participate in the Ball-Athon so I can't really tell you how I feel about the "change" in the lume contest. However the Ball-Athon in general is really fun and very educating. I have never known this much about ball watches but I had to find out to answer the questions. I think the whole contest is put together very well and it is really challenging. So two thumbs up for putting together all the segments of the Ball-Athon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts