WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In searching the Ball 'bay world, found this product by HORB. Squeeze it, push it on the back, and turn, and voila, the back comes off. No potential marks.

that is the number and if it works for Ball it should work with all screwback cases.

Anyone know of this or have experience?

thanks

paul:-s

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have seen these on the bay also. Frankly, I'd have to see it work with my own eyes and one of my watches before I could believe their claim. :think:

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews on these, well mostly negative comments, with one person being able to use it sucessfully.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yea, these work. I've opened up casebacks before using the Rubber ball or Rubber suction cup (Door stopper) technique. Takes a LOT of zen meditation on applying pressure downward and turning. I think my wrist and veins were numb for a few hours. But once you get it started (as on all watch backs) the lubricants take over and it's on and off for all future movement adjustments.

But now I have an adjustable universal Caseback opening tool, so no more Rubber tools needed again.

·
Registered
510 Posts
ps. If you are one of those type of GUYS that refuse to let a new JAR lid go unopen in front of the Mrs. Then you can use one of these. Like I said, it took me over an hour to even begin loosening the caseback on my Panny. (On and off between rest breaks, veins cooling down and palms bursting with callouses)

If you are not one of these guys, and you worry about Crystal, casing and caseback "possibility" of damage or send your watch to have strap pins removed, then this is not recommended.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
One thing I am thinking is why do we want to open the backs of our watches? I am as much WIS as it gets, but there are risks involved in tasks that we don't perform customarily.

When I was a kid and pre arthritis, I helped my grandfather in the shop, taking backs off, changing bands, minor stuff. In college, I worked for a small quartz company as a watch tech and removed thousands of watch backs.

Keep in mind the need for a sterile environment, and that just a micron of dust can neccesitate an overhaul to a mechanical movement.

I play guitar and my hands are so messed up that in spite of my past, I know my hands, and I would not be happy if I scratched one of my beauties.

Just my .02...your mileage may vary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts