WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think there'd be much interest if Ball released a basic no-date field watch? No date window, stick hands/indexes and a more traditional case size would do it for me. Essentially a smaller (38mm - 40mm) and thinner (closer to 11mm than 12mm) version of the Green Beret model with a no-date dial. Quick example by flipping the 9 o'clock marker:

Ball GB.JPG

Not being a Green Beret I could lose that tie-in, but would be OK with/without a DLC finish.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Looks great--I've always nagged for more no date watches of any style by Ball (either of the two Ball watches in my signature, #2 and #4, would have been better with no dates), and would definitely be interested--BUT, getting them to actually do it is a whole different proposition.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would also be in for a 39mm, 11mm thick brushed stainless or titanium version (nothing too bling), and on a strap, not a bracelet. Not really into the DLC. Unfortunately, Ball seems to be on this kick these days where they'll make a good case size, but ruin it with large bezels and thickness. Even the Marvelights are nice, but too thick for a dress watch.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
No interest at all here. For me, no date equals no sale!

Reactions: Usafwolfe

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. One of the reasons I like Ball for this sort of watch is I used to go swimming in the ocean around dusk and could never read the dial no matter what I wore. I briefly owned a Fireman Racer which informs me those tubes would come in handy.

I figure I need to find another 495 no-date watch friends on the Ball forum or we need to commit to buying around 80 models each before I can contact Topper and get the...oh jeez...instinctively I almost typed “get the <<blank>> rolling”. Not gonna do that, but you know what I mean.

No interest at all here. For me, no date equals no sale!
Not helpful! As the self-appointed vice president of the No-Date Ball Field Watch Buyers Club I declare you to be “part of the problem”. The good news is since I’m the only member you can be president should you ever decide to change your mind.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I'm pretty sure the point here is not that Ball should all of the sudden stop making ALL watches with date windows, but to provide some dateless options for those amongst us who don't want or don't need the date---since we can find that pretty easily on smart and cell phones, computers--heck, even newspapers--it would be nice to at least have a few watches that catered to such tastes--in other words, it would be nice to actually have some choices on occasion--Rolex does this, Sinn does it, and so do many other companies.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure the point here is not that Ball should all of the sudden stop making ALL watches with date windows, but to provide some dateless options for those amongst us who don't want or don't need the date...
At one point I considered suggesting Ball should confiscate every watch ever sold from their owners and return them with no-date dials, but am warming up to your more measured approach.

Ball makes more interesting dials than most (both objectively and numerically), but due to the tubes they can get a little busy/crowded at times. Losing the date on a field-type watch would calm things down a bit while at the same time putting max focus on their best known feature.

I wanna get greedy and ask for a 2892 movement, but that’s asking a lot from a watch that’ll likely never exist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Understand your opinion from an aesthetic point of view. But there are times when knowing the date (and even the day) really is important in a wristwatch. And having the cyclops feature, while it interferes with the symmetry and simplicity of the design, really helps when it comes to functionality on that score.

Perhaps the real answer lies in not seeking a single watch to be all things for all purposes?

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
...Perhaps the real answer lies in not seeking a single watch to be all things for all purposes?
I'm pretty sure no one was--the thread was about a possible variation of a single watch--resulting in a common (cross brand) style, often called the "field" watch--a bare bones piece that is made for those who don't want or need any other complications other than the time of day.

For Ball and most other brands, people who must have a date on the dial have a huge number of choices, while those who can get by without the date have very few options--and yet, "date-less" watches by other companies often sell very well, such as the Rolex Explorer 1 and the Panerai 000--both very popular watches--and countless others--clear evidence that there is a significant percentage of the watch buying public that can do without the date--it would be nice for Ball to step up to the plate and acknowledge those folks, with at least a few more than their present rather meager offerings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts