WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ball, Fortis or Oris?

• Ball Engineer Master II DLC

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 44mm

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 46mm

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date ( Blue hands / White dial )

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date ( White hands / Black dial )

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional Day / Date

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Oris Big Crown Small Second, Pointer Day

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow WUSers,

I'm looking at day date watches, and have shortlisted some models from the above brands.
They should be in the same price range, at least that's what the salesman tells me, do correct me if they are not.

Here's the list:

Ball Engineer Master II DLC
Ball Engineer Master II Aviator
Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date (Favor the blue hands model)
Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional Day / Date
Oris Big Crown Small Second, Pointer Day

Any comments on the above choices will be good.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Pics would help and allow us to compare. While I could search for them, I prolly won't. Of the brands you have listed I like Fortis' designs most.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
From what i have read all 3 are well respected brands for the price and it would be hard to choose between them on brand alone.
I don't particularly like the models you have chosen, except perhaps the Fortis because i do like the blued hands on the Flieger, lovely looking watch.
I like the Oris Big Crown designs, but would be reluctant to spend that much on a watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I'd prefer the Oris Classic or Artelier models.
Similarly, i'd prefer the Ball Master II Classic, because i'm not keen on the look of the tritium tubes on their models with arabic numerals. Love the look of the Classic though.
Just my personal preferences!
cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pics would help and allow us to compare. While I could search for them, I prolly won't. Of the brands you have listed I like Fortis' designs most.
Hi, this is my first post here; sorry that I might have made some mistakes, will link some images below.

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 44mm

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator 46mm

Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date

Below are B-42 Pilot Professional and Oris Big Crown Small Seconds, Pointer Day:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
From what i have read all 3 are well respected brands for the price and it would be hard to choose between them on brand alone.
I don't particularly like the models you have chosen, except perhaps the Fortis because i do like the blued hands on the Flieger, lovely looking watch.
I like the Oris Big Crown designs, but would be reluctant to spend that much on a watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I'd prefer the Oris Classic or Artelier models.
Similarly, i'd prefer the Ball Master II Classic, because i'm not keen on the look of the tritium tubes on their models with arabic numerals. Love the look of the Classic though.
Just my personal preferences!
cheers
Thank you very much for your comments.
I supposed you verified that they are at the same price range.

Ditto on the Fortis B-42 Flieger, the blue hands are really lovely.

Just to verify, the Oris website state that the Big Crown has top sapphire glass and a bottom mineral glass, is the website information wrong?

Are you referring to the Engineer Master II Classic, Engineer II Classic or Engineer Classic?
Engineer Master II Classic and Engineer II Classic don't have any day function.
Engineer Classic has day function and I like it too, but was told by the salesman that it's no longer available, I'll check out other retail outlets just to make sure.

Thanks again!

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
I supposed you verified that they are at the same price range.

Ditto on the Fortis B-42 Flieger, the blue hands are really lovely.

Just to verify, the Oris website state that the Big Crown has top sapphire glass and a bottom mineral glass, is the website information wrong?

Are you referring to the Engineer Master II Classic, Engineer II Classic or Engineer Classic?
Engineer Master II Classic and Engineer II Classic don't have any day function.
Engineer Classic has day function and I like it too, but was told by the salesman that it's no longer available, I'll check out other retail outlets just to make sure.

Thanks again!
Hi, no i didn't verify the prices, i'll leave that to you to confirm from a number of sources, but i suspect there wouldn't be a great deal between the Fortis & Balls, the Oris somewhat cheaper.

I was under the assumption that Oris Big Crowns did not have sapphire, i know some i have previously considered haven't. However if Oris states differently, then i guess i was wrong and i will certainly revisit them! Someone else might be able to confirm.

I was referring to the Engineer Master II Classic. It's my favourite Ball but you're right it has date function only. Quite a few other Ball's i like too, including the Aviator, just not keen on the models with arabic numerals.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I got my eyes on the Ball EMII DLC, so that's the one I voted. I think all 3 brands make good watches so it probably just comes down to styling preference. The only brand out of the three I own is an Oris, but the Oris Big Crown model you've posted is probably on the bottom of the list for me among the watches you've listed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, no i didn't verify the prices, i'll leave that to you to confirm from a number of sources, but i suspect there wouldn't be a great deal between the Fortis & Balls, the Oris somewhat cheaper.

I was under the assumption that Oris Big Crowns did not have sapphire, i know some i have previously considered haven't. However if Oris states differently, then i guess i was wrong and i will certainly revisit them! Someone else might be able to confirm.

I was referring to the Engineer Master II Classic. It's my favourite Ball but you're right it has date function only. Quite a few other Ball's i like too, including the Aviator, just not keen on the models with arabic numerals.
Will take note of your advice as well as the Aviator again.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my eyes on the Ball EMII DLC, so that's the one I voted. I think all 3 brands make good watches so it probably just comes down to styling preference. The only brand out of the three I own is an Oris, but the Oris Big Crown model you've posted is probably on the bottom of the list for me among the watches you've listed.
Noted your input and vote.
Strangely, the Ball EMII DLC is not available at my local store as I checked today, I'll have to try to look at other stores.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
698 Posts
I would go with the Oris. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself a few months back, but my wrist just isn't big enough to pull it off. You have to respect them for being one of the few major companies who will never produce a quartz watch. The craftsmanship on the Oris TT1 I have is stellar.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The white dial/blue hands Fortis got my vote.

I've been wanting an Oris BC Pointer Day myself, and read on another forum that Oris' switch to sapphire is recent.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I like the Oris, but the hesalite crystal is actually a plus for me on a watch of that style...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,081 Posts
Hello fellow WUSers,

I'm looking at day date watches, and have shortlisted some models from the above brands.
They should be in the same price range, at least that's what the salesman tells me, do correct me if they are not.

Here's the list:

Ball Engineer Master II Aviator
Fortis B-42 Flieger Day / Date (Favor the blue hands model)
Fortis B-42 Pilot Professional Day / Date
Oris Big Crown Small Second, Pointer Day

Any comments on the above choices will be good.
Thanks in advance!
The Oris is quite a bit different from the others and what I would call a classic design with the pointer date. It would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The DLC and the blue lume are spectacular on the Ball Engineer Master II DLC. Don't know if you have seen this one in person or not but to me it is really special. That was my vote.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I really like the Oris among the choices listed ... if you're looking for some classy coin bezel watches (pilot/aviator style) at an affordable price, Tutima might be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I voted for the 46mm Ball Engineer Master II Aviator

the 44mm would be fine too.

I am a big guy 6'2'' 240lbs. so when I wear a 40mm or smaller it looks like a 34mmb-)

I absolutley love Fortis though....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts