WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Engineer Hydrocarbon Racer Chronograph Chronometer.........
.......that's a lot of words to name one watch but then this is a LOT of watch.

I have not seen this watch reviewed anywhere online, nor have I seen any real world pictures, so I thought it would be good to post this quick review for anyone that might be interested. The model number is; CM2198C-S2CJ-BE

I just received this brand new Ball acquisition today from our friendly DHL driver. This now completes a trio of marvellous Ball watches to my head-spinning and out of control watch collection. I already have the Engineer Aviator and the very classy 40mm Fireman Racer. This newcomer is part of the Hydrocarbon family and it dwarfs the other two in size.

The HC Racer Chrono has not an obscenely large 42mm case. However, it feels and looks a lot bigger due to the large protruding pushers plus the ubiquitous and unique Ball crown guard system. Being an automatic chronograph, it also has a substantial 15.2mm case height - all this makes it a very heavy and unapologetically bold looking watch.

The movement inside is the Automatic caliber BALL RR1401-C
The watch is Chronometer certified COSC with 100m water resistance and a domed anti-reflective sapphire crystal and of course, true to Ball, it has the Tritium micro gas tubes. The lug width is 21mm.

This is certainly a very impressive watch - it retails for around $3,500 to $4,000 but there are some huge discounts on this price right now so shop around if you're keen to buy this new.

It comes in other styles that include a black or silver dial, with a ceramic tachymeter bezel as well as the brushed steel version.

The bracelet tapers and is a wonderfully over engineered work of art. The links are an exquisite combination of brushed and polished finish and then there is the magnificent clasp mechanism. It is the classiest, most self assured and satisfying clasp I have ever seen on a watch - push button release with fold over clasp. It also has the extra extensions either side. Superb.

The dial is a gorgeous, iridescent sunburst blue. I think the dials are well laid out and easy to read. The date window has a unique magnifier built in to the dial which is cool. However, what is not cool is the fact that they positioned it at 12 o'clock which I quite like to see on some watches, but not on a chronograph!! As the second hand resides in the 12 o'clock position when not in use (which is most of the time), it obscures the view of the date - very annoying. That is the only real negative comment I have about this watch, thankfully.

The caseback is very attractive and interesting as with most Ball watches. It features the Empire State Express train - the first man made vehicle to exceed 100mph.

The crown is protected by Ball's patented crown protection system and is finished with the ornate RR symbol.

The Engineer Hydrocarbon Racer truly is a stunning and unforgettable watch. I am suitably impressed and love the way it looks. It is a big. chunky, shiny and obvious timepiece though, so if you like subtle, then it is not for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36,111 Posts
Very nice. Love the blue dial.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning. I'm new to Ball watches and this is my first one.

I have a question about setting the watch. Now, this is my first automatic chrono and I hope an existing owner can answer this. Is it expected (with this movement) that the minute hand takes 30 seconds or so to get going once you set it? I've managed to get the seconds and minutes to align by setting the minute hand halfway between 2 markers, but this seems a bit off for COSC certified movement.

Should this go back for a replacement?

Thanks

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts