WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m found this old Ball pocket watch at my grandfathers. My mom thinks it may have been his dads, he worked on the railroad in Colorado. I wound it and it began working. I can’t get the pendant up to set the time. I don’t know how to open it either.

I’d like to keep it and get it functioning.
The glass is pretty scratched up, is there any home polishing tips or only a jeweler?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
It's most likely a lever set. Unscrew the front bezel and you should find a small tab at around the one or two o'clock position. Pull that out and you will be able to turn the crown and set the time.
That was a feature on railroad watches so that the time couldn't be changed by accident.
Nice find.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's ticking it is a good sign. It means that that it is complete. A good movement cleaning could help if you want to wear it as old oils dry in time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will have to find someone who can work on it when I get back to Florida. I’m not able to twist it open.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried again this morning and the case opened.

10k gold filled. 999B, 21 jewels. Looking forward to learning more about it.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The 999B movement was made by Hamilton and sold to Ball. Mechanically it's the same as the Hamilton 992B. But since there were only about 30,000 Ball versions vs a little over 500,000 Hamiltons made, the Ball brings a slightly higher price on resale market.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found time to stop in at local jeweler today before heading home. He opened up the watch and looked at the case. He found marks where original store owner and later his father serviced the watch as far back at 1952. They engraved some codes for cleaning and repairs on the watch.

Glad I stopped in. Another jeweler/watchmaker might not have known that history.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts