WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
By golly, I think you've got it.

I had heard this theory in regard to pocket watches, but never wristwatches -- but it makes perfect sense. This would explain why the watches are export models (English writing on the dials, date wheels, and back covers), and also why there is a misspelling on the inscription of one of mine. I just never put two and two together.
Number 1139 seems to confirm it.
Welcome to USSR Time!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I don't mean to keep spamming Kev's thread, but rather than open a new one I thought I'd post a new arrival here.

This is a Serkisof Railway watch with a very special dial labeled "Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Devlet (T.C.D.) Demiryolları" or State Railways of the Turkish Republic. I can find very little information about this particular watch, but I do understand that it was not sold in the open market. One must have been an official railway employee in order to get it.

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I've only seen one other watch like this one, and the blogger has a few interesting tidbits to share:

K. Serkisoff & Co were exclusive suppliers for the Turkish National Railways since 1880. The Ottoman Empire had signed an agreement with K. Serkisoff & Co in 1880. Since then, when one retires from the railways, it is a tradition to give the person a Serkisoff railway watch as a present.

I cannot confirm these historical details, but I do know that my watch is similarly inscribed on the case-back. Maybe someone here can help with the translation.

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Locket Pendant

Pendant Fashion accessory Locket Jewellery Circle

Most interestingly, the other watch I found has the same strange hands. I've never seen this style on any other Vostok. The watch and dial reflects a standard Vostok design, but not these hands. They may have been specially comissioned for the Turkish Railway. The lume is very interesting, apparently applied into an open-ended fork at the tip of each hand:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The movement on my piece is a standard issue 2506 with 17 jewels, but the one posted here has a gilt movement(!), the likes of which I've never seen. Perhaps a gilt movement belongs in mine as well, but I have no way of knowing.

Pocket watch Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Analog watch

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch accessory

Thanks for sharing your thread, Kev!

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well Dashiell I have to say I'm extremely jealous. I've been looking for one of these and I get home only to find the watch seeker has beat me too it. Congratulations on a fantastic find.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Well Dashiell I have to say I'm extremely jealous. I've been looking for one of these and I get home only to find the watch seeker has beat me too it. Congratulations on a fantastic find.
I'll keep my eyes open. There are others out there! Just a matter of time.

And for you -- if you ever find another with signed dial, pay special attention to the movement. I want to see if these gold-plated movements are common for Serkisof and if mine should have one. Never seen such a movement on any other Vostok.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
:In my original post I seem to have been wrong , nothing new there then, when I wrote this off because of its date window.

This was just for sale on eBay.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Gauge

The date window is much neater and in my opinion looks a lot better in a silver case. The first one was listed at around £60 to £70 plus post a if I remember correctly. The second one £32 plus postage or Best offer. Yes it's now on its way after my offer was accepted which basically gave me free postage. Pictures upon arrival.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The watch from above arrived and boy did it give me a headache with its engraving. The best guess is : Yu. A. Shmiaknfrom the director of Pridnestrovska rail road *****
Thanks to all that helped. On investigating this I discovered there is a Pridnestrovska Railway Union so maybe that's the mystery word .
Metal Coin Currency Close-up Money

And another arrived today . This time from the Gorky Railway. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorky_Railway

This is in excellent condition and I think quite rare. Cue loads of pictures. Housed in my personal favourite komandirskie case I'm very pleased with this one.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
I'm trying to limit each section of my collection to 10 watches so in theory this is my final Railway themed one. Obviously if a Serkisof turns up then something will have to go. I know which one.

Hopefully this is genuine. The movement , case and hands are all Raketa i believe and the dial seems good to me. I would like your opinions.
This represents allegedly the oldest Russian Railway , the October Railway.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Railway

My translation comes out as:
Stations St. Petersburg -Home OCTOBER Railway

Still on its way so sellers photos.
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Pocket watch

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm trying to limit each section of my collection to 10 watches so in theory this is my final Railway themed one. Obviously if a Serkisof turns up then something will have to go.
Oh, Comrade, please.

Don't try to fool us and, most important, don't fool yourself.

All collectors have their own self-imposed limits, so if you have reached yours just do like all others would do: split your "Railway" main collection into "Trans-Siberian", "BAM" and "October" Railways sub-collections. It's that simple... :roll:

:-d :-d :-d

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Oh, Comrade, please.

Don't try to fool us and, most important, don't fool yourself.

All collectors have their own self-imposed limits, so if you have reached yours just do like all others would do: split your "Railway" main collection into "Trans-Siberian", "BAM" and "October" Railways sub-collections. It's that simple... :roll:

:-d :-d :-d
I'm determined , however, can you have a sub collection of a sub collection? Interesting.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My October Railway watch has arrived and as usual so has a mystery that hopefully one of our Russian comrades can help with. As well as the writing clearly visible that I think says Stations St. Petersburg -Home OCTOBER Railway there is a less visible initials . СИГ ? If you have any idea that would be great. They do represent some of the words on the dial , СТАНЦИЯ САНКТ-ПЕТЕРБУРГ -ГЛАВНАЯ ОКТЯБРЬСКАЯ ЖД just not really clear which ones.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Another one on its way to join this sub collection. As far as I can tell it's 75 years of the Transportation Police or military ? Maybe the equivalent to our British Transport Police.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Another one on its way to join this sub collection. As far as I can tell it's 75 years of the Transportation Police or military ? Maybe the equivalent to our British Transport Police.
Looks like a modern design with a sunken dial and flat (non-domed) crystal. Looking forward to more photos upon arrival. Cool find!

·
Registered
684 Posts
kev80e - I think the СИГ watch is for Санкт-Петербург-Главный, and I think this translates as something like Saint Petersburg Main which is the sub-section running the St Petersburg terminal of the October Railway, including passengers but also a very significant cargo operation.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
kev80e - I think the СИГ watch is for Санкт-Петербург-Главный, and I think this translates as something like Saint Petersburg Main which is the sub-section running the St Petersburg terminal of the October Railway, including passengers but also a very significant cargo operation.
Thanks very much for the additional information. This makes perfect sense. Much appreciated.
Looks like a modern design with a sunken dial and flat (non-domed) crystal. Looking forward to more photos upon arrival. Cool find!
I've been digging and more modern makes sense with the Russian colours rather than Soviet. I think I see МВД within the cost of arms . This leads to The Ministry of Internal Affairs Russia . Is there a special section of this Ministry that deals with Transport ? I don't know but will keep digging.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.