WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my price range, the Orient Bambino is a perfect entry level automatic movement watch. I like its elegance, simplicity, and style- it's just amazing and a great bargain...EXCEPT for that stupid cursive "water resist" marker right on the face. Are all of them like this!?! It seems like on the manufacturer's website they all are, but perhaps you are familiar with older models that don't have that? Which marketing genius/designer thought up that writing in cursive "water resist" would be a good idea? I am pretty disappointed that they would ruin a great watch like this. o|

Search results for: 'BAMBINO' | Orient Watch USA

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree, that cursive ruined it for me, I don't understand why they couldn't put Bambino there instead... Watch manufacturers seem to be compelled to put as much useless text on the dial as possible

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that it does not add to the beauty to have those words there. I'd rather see they left that area clean. Bambino is orient usa' s name for the watch i think. Mako, ray etc does not come from the japanese factory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree, that cursive ruined it for me, I don't understand why they couldn't put Bambino there instead... Watch manufacturers seem to be compelled to put as much useless text on the dial as possible
They don't put "Bambino" there because that's not the real name of the watch. Bambino is just some made up name by Orient Watch USA

The real name (for the white dial, steel case) is ER24005W

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Too much of text on the dial you say? You don't like it much you say? Kitschy? Well, some might disagree with you ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I wonder of it's, in part, to add to the retro feel and aesthetic of the watch?

There was a time when water resistance wasn't taken for granted and would be advertised as a sign of quality. Having the cursive script on the dial doing that, under the domed crystal, just helps pull the Bambino back into that sort of heritage/era.

·
Registered
38 Posts

There was a time when water resistance wasn't taken for granted and would be advertised as a sign of quality. Having the cursive script on the dial doing that, under the domed crystal, just helps pull the Bambino back into that sort of heritage/era.
Nahhh, almost all of the "standard" orients have the cursive "Water Resist" text on them (maube not all but a lot of them). If you don't want that get a OSD or step up a notch to Orient Star or Royal Orient.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Good point in there because the Bambino is a automatic watch who reminds a handwinding one... One day i was looking for vintage watches and some guy started conversation with me about the Bambino... With him telling that the bambino was in mint condition for a vintage one,and me tellling that was in fact a brand new watch...

Even so... Automatic instead of Water Resist would be better.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nahhh, almost all of the "standard" orients have the cursive "Water Resist" text on them (maube not all but a lot of them).
Fair enough point, it's not exclusive to the Bambino and I am only pondering.

But someone still had to make that decision, and I can't shake the feeling that--as most of the standard Orients themselves are pretty heritage-focused--the water resist labelling is part of the overall effort by Orient to anchor their contemporary watches firmly in continuity with their history.

As the US site puts it, "Orient's hallmark, throughout 60 years of continuous watchmaking, is mechanical watchmaking and most well known for their classical styling." The Symphony is called a "true reflection of the heritage and experience of the watch makers..."

Fair dues to anyone who doesn't like it. I'm not trying to argue or change anyone's mind, just speculating as to why the labelling was included. I don't think it's an oversight or a lack of attention to aesthetics, so its being an intentional nod to the past, a heritage hallmark, seems far from unlikely.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good point in there because the Bambino is a automatic watch who reminds a handwinding one... One day i was looking for vintage watches and some guy started conversation with me about the Bambino... With him telling that the bambino was in mint condition for a vintage one,and me tellling that was in fact a brand new watch...

Even so... Automatic instead of Water Resist would be better.
Nice! I've had a few people ask about mine too, wondering if it was older.

True about automatic vs water resist. If they moved it down from below the crest to replace the WR labelling, it would look really good! Not that I mind the way it is now too much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think Orient are prone to putting this on a lot of watches. I've just checked my Orient 3 Star and it has it. It's dumb really in that 50M water resistance is better than none, but certainly nothing to boast about. If it's any consolation you're in good company. I've seen a lot of stuff from Rolex fans moaning amount the amount of text on their dials. So for instance the new DateJust has...

ROLEX
OYSTER PERPETUAL
DATEJUST
SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER
OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED
SWISS MADE

As well as the "bling ring" on the inside of the bezel that says ROLEX.ROLEX.ROLEX, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts