WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a video on g shock durability tests. They mentioned that if you drop the watch on its band, it will cushion the impact...

First of all... all watches will do that...

Second of all... why would you drop your watch from a 10 story building? Mine is always on my wrist.... :think:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I understand that dropping a watch is just a way to compare its strength to other watches.. but when they tell you that the band protects it from impact, makes me wonder....

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Just watched a video on g shock durability tests. They mentioned that if you drop the watch on its band, it will cushion the impact...

First of all... all watches will do that...

Second of all... why would you drop your watch from a 10 story building? Mine is always on my wrist.... :think:
I think a watch dropped from any significant distance will land more or less face first, due to the case being heavier than the strap (unless it has a heavy metal bracelet). This is the same idea as a slice of bread with peanut butter on it tending to land peanut butter side (heavy side) down.

That said, I can see the resin strap on a G-Shock providing some protection from shocks near the case in normal daily activities.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Around here, they're usually referred to as "wings," and they're apparently designed to help the watch fit some people's wrists better. Some people like them, while other people find that they make the fit WORSE -- it really depends on the diameter AND shape of a person's wrist.

Despite what those pictures claim, there's not really any evidence that they're designed to be "shock absorbers."

Here are plenty of threads on the subject -- start reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17+wings&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Around here, I believe they're generally referred to as "wings." I think their primary purpose is to take up some of the gap when a large G-Shock or Pathfinder/Protrek is worn on a smaller wrist. My G-7900A-4 and PAW-2000 have these wings.

Casio calls the wings on the GD-350 a shock absorber design, and in this instance they're also used to help transmit the vibe alarm to the wearer's arm.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pics are screen shots i got from an official g shock commercial.. they show an animation of the watch falling and landing on the wings...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I agree with GaryK30 -- the watch falling on the wings sounds more like something the marketing department came up with than anything from the engineering department. :-d

And from the original post, there's no logical reason for anybody to drop a watch of a ten story building. The watch was designed to survive a 10 METER fall -- anything beyond that is just showing off and hoping that the watch won't break. It's much the same as people throwing their watch very hard AT the floor or AT the wall -- and the watches DO break sometimes when people exceed the design parameters.

Just because cars today have bumpers that are supposed to shrug off a 5 MPH impact without damage, most people aren't quite stupid enough to drive into a wall at 30 MPH just to see what happens -- but some of them do pretty much the same thing with their G-Shocks!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,206 Posts
Right!

And beside that:
Remember that the watch has just to handle forces that are present on your wirst.

So while a G-Shock will survive a 10m drop, will your wirst survive too?
The same applies to test with cars running over it, fire exposure, boiling water, ice and use as a hokey puk.....

;-)

I agree with GaryK30 -- the watch falling on the wings sounds more like something the marketing department came up with than anything from the engineering department. :-d

And from the original post, there's no logical reason for anybody to drop a watch of a ten story building. The watch was designed to survive a 10 METER fall -- anything beyond that is just showing off and hoping that the watch won't break. It's much the same as people throwing their watch very hard AT the floor or AT the wall -- and the watches DO break sometimes when people exceed the design parameters.

Just because cars today have bumpers that are supposed to shrug off a 5 MPH impact without damage, most people aren't quite stupid enough to drive into a wall at 30 MPH just to see what happens -- but some of them do pretty much the same thing with their G-Shocks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The point is that IF you should happen to drop your watch accidentally, try to drop it in such a way that it lands on the band. Maybe you can walk with your arms in a certain position just as a general precaution.

The "buttered bread" analogy has another factor: the cost of the rug that it falls onto. The higher the value of the rug, the higher chance that the buttered side will land face down. There is a positive correlation.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Here is the video where they claim that the wings protect from falling...

https://youtu.be/ues7UPwqBNs?t=84

Drop tests are good to compare strengths of watches between each other, but you will never drop a watch off a building.
I thought the wings were included because the straps on that model weren't fixed at an angle like other Gs, so it is possible to drop the watch on its back

Like this:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~relax/DW001_1.jpg

and this

http://wristfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/casio1-300x120.jpg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Too bad the photos seem to be gone.
Until the Great Accidental Forum Photo Purge of 2014, that's exactly why I always hated when people used Photobucket or other third-party hosting services -- it's far too easy for information to be lost forever when people's hobbies change, or they clean out their photo account to make room for more pictures, or delete their accounts....

...and then the Watchuseek forum software randomly and somehow accidentally deleted a ton of pictures that people had uploaded to this forum, so apparently there IS no good way to handle photos around here. o|

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Remember all the stress tests manufacturers done to their products (not just Casio), are done with the ideal conditions. Precisely calibrated so it's reproducible over and over again. The point is to prove their products met certain predefined specs, that' it. Don't think too much into it.

As said in the disclaimer in the following test video: "Test results are not guarantees of product quality. Test results are for the models used and do not necessarily apply for every G-Shock model."

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
i always saw the wrist guards (im not calling them wings. that sounds like it should be on some sort of lady hygiene product lol) as exactly that, wrist guards that help with fit - hugs the wrist better; protection - to stop the band folding in on itself or shifting around your wrist during a hard knock; and shock absorption - to be an extra buffer between your arm and the module during strong shocks or repetative vibration thru your hand or arm like firing a gun or riding a trailbike.
dropping it so that it lands on the guards is illustrative of the shock absorption. its like that ad for scholl gel insoles, you know the streets arent going to be paved with gel once you buy them right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2aYU5Hqno

1 - 19 of 19 Posts