WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm off to Bangkok next month and would love to do a bit of watch shopping whilst there.

My original intention was to replace my Rado Original Diver, which now belongs to Mr. Burglar (Grrrrr......) but it seems that imports are so heavily taxed in Thailand that I would be better off buying another one here in Dublin.

So...

Plan B is to acquire one or two inexpensive watches - preferably of SE Asian manufacture. Even better if they are Thai (do they even make watches in Thailand, apart from knock-offs?).

I tend to like pretty chunky, masculine watches (Rado, G-Shock, Vostok, 70's Diving watches - that sort of thing).

Can anybody make a recommendation or two?

Also, any ideas about where to go watch-shopping in Bangkok? (I know this has been asked before, but things seem to change quite rapidly in South Asian cities).

Thank you all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was there a few times last month. There are giant shopping centers with plenty of watch stores, although they are not sold at attractive prices. You can find pretty much any brand imaginable.

There are also seemingly endless stands full of knockoff watches. They mostly contain Seiko movements. They are also most 3 ATM watches. It was humorous to see knockoff Patek Phillipes...

Side notes on Bangkok:
Bargain for EVERYTHING. Take metered taxis whenever possible. Most people who make a living in this city do so at the detriment of the tourist.

Definitely check out Khao San road for the international (mostly) backpacking crowd.

If you're going to be there for a few days, it's worth finding a tailor to make a made to measure suit+shirt+tie. It's quite cheap for M2M, but I was never in one city long enough to take advantage of the tailors. Gifts for friends and family- I'd ask that same tailor to make you a bunch of silk ties and silk scarves. Thai silk can be great quality and (relatively) inexpensive. Plus if you're using the same tailor, you can stack the discounts.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
dont really know any Thai watch brand ... but if you're in Asia, perhaps take a look at Seiko models that are not sold in the US?

and not so much a tip on brand, but watches in general, be careful about buying pre-owned watches in Thailand as the weather there is very humid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts