WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading trhough some posts here and found stumbled upon this one that included a bunch of photos of 'Bathing Ape' G-Shock (real or fake - not srue). I also remember seeing some other posts here dealing mostly with ebay auctions selling fake BAPEs.

Could someone pls point to me to a web site or a thread (on this forum or another one) that would include some background info and maby a story behind 'Bathing Ape'? It seems quite bizare at first - but I'm sure there is a reaons for an... ape that's bathing ;-)

Or is there no particular rason for the Apae - just an unique way of marking limited edition runs?

Thank you,
Michael

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thank you. That Wiki entry seems to be talking about a line of clothing but does not mentoin CASIO. Are G-Shock BAPE watches somehow co-branded with BAPE - the clothing company? Or is there some other arrangement going on?

Thx,
Michael
Collaborations between clothing companies is a very big (yet odd) trend at the moment. Therefore, you see g-shock x bape (crap x expensive usually, except in the case of our beloved g-shock:) ).

Bathing ape has collaborated with other brands to produce very, very expensive clothing/sneakers. I think they even have a rolex knock-off with the bape image selling for over $500. The first two dw-6900's were unique in that the g-shock logo on the bezel was made up of different colors. The first was black, the second white. Many consider the latter to be a bit too bright. The third was a red model with "go ape" on the dial.

The dw-5000 came before, but is considered sort of a sleeper model.

I have to say I am shocked at how many fakes are out there. A year ago, you could still pick them up without worrying about this.

Here is a great write-up on the white one by B. Anderson (hope you don't mind):
http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1104760980

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Collaborations between clothing companies is a very big (yet odd) trend at the moment. Therefore, you see g-shock x bape (crap x expensive usually, except in the case of our beloved g-shock:) ).

Bathing ape has collaborated with other brands to produce very, very expensive clothing/sneakers. I think they even have a rolex knock-off with the bape image selling for over $500. The first two dw-6900's were unique in that the g-shock logo on the bezel was made up of different colors. The first was black, the second white. Many consider the latter to be a bit too bright. The third was a red model with "go ape" on the dial.

The dw-5000 came before, but is considered sort of a sleeper model.

I have to say I am shocked at how many fakes are out there. A year ago, you could still pick them up without worrying about this.

Here is a great write-up on the white one by B. Anderson (hope you don't mind):
http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1104760980
Thank you for your post and the link. Quite informative - and exactly what I was looing for. Aalong with the earlier pointer to Bape (the clothing company) in Wikipedia - I think I now have a reasonably full picture of the whole Bathing Ape G-Shock phenomenon ;-)

Thanks again,
Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts