WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed now that the air pressure is climbing steadily, it appears that the graph in baro mode has now "topped out."

Anyone else see this? This would be kind of a bummer because if the pressure drops, it seems it has to drop enough to make it to the point where you can actually see this happening on the graph. It would be great to have some sort of "auto scroll" feature.

Here is a pic of what I mean...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now at 1015, and no autoscaling...
I stand corrected (again). Core autoscales...thanks Geremy...(See below)...

The barometric pressure must have just been the same for all that time in the pic above...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think the barometer graphs do a very good job of vertical positioning/scrolling.

I saw a graph the other day similar to the one in the photo with it being straight on the bottom, then climbed to the top, then straight along the top. I used excel to draw my own graph using the readings in the log book and it was pretty much steadily climbing all the way over the last 24 hours.

I'm guessing a bit but it looks like if the minimum and maximum pressures are too far apart over the last 24 hours to fit the whole graph vertically then the watch will display the middle of the range of pressures (won't show the bottom or the top of the graph). In the second photo the pressure levels off for a bit which probably makes the difference between minimum and maximum pressures smaller so the graph doesn't chop as much off the top and bottom.

If the watch does display the middle of the graph then that seems to me to be wrong. Surely the most important part of the graph is the most recent part. It would make more sense for the watch to move the graph up or down so that the most recent part is always shown and if it has to chop parts off it chops off the older data.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ive checked my baro display a lot against my weather network and it is always very accurate, and flawlessly within 1hpa. Its never topped or bottomed out, and seems to auto scroll fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive checked my baro display a lot against my weather network and it is always very accurate, and flawlessly within 1hpa. Its never topped or bottomed out, and seems to auto scroll fine.
For some reason I can't click the pic you attached...it looks like the beginning of the graph is topped out.

My watch also is always within 1 hPa of the local weather. No complaints there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If paduncan's two photos were taken on the same day then they clearly show the problem.

The 8:16am graph shows the pressure not changing between about 2am and 8am but the 6:09pm graph shows a climbing pressure for the same time period. Have a look at the attached picture which shows the first 8:16am graph shifted back by 10 hours and put on top of the 6:09pm graph.

I've seen the same thing on my watch. Maybe this is something Suunto fixed in later versions (mine has 1.01 software)?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on my B/Y, hw 3A & sw 1.0.1. Has anybody been in contact with Suunto wrt this? If not I'd be glad to bring it up with them & post back if there is interest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed now that the air pressure is climbing steadily, it appears that the graph in baro mode has now "topped out."

Anyone else see this? This would be kind of a bummer because if the pressure drops, it seems it has to drop enough to make it to the point where you can actually see this happening on the graph. It would be great to have some sort of "auto scroll" feature.

Here is a pic of what I mean...
It's not anything other than a visual graph so you can view the 'weather trends' over the past few hours. If you need an accurate, more accurate than any watch will ever be, log of the barometric pressure changes I'd suggest using a PC when you get home. You can not download your Core anyways, so uless you plan on remembering the last graph log, isn't the barometric pressure reading in hPa all you want at the time? Certainly you are not using days worth of graphing weather trends to determine your next move in the field. If you are day hiking, mountain biking, trail running, you don't need to worry about anything other than the last three and next three hours anyways!

Listen...I'm not trying to be harsh man but think about it for a minute and let's stay practical. To finish about the graph, understand that it is the most basic of graphs. Even though it has 'real time' plotting, there is no legend or description for the graph (manual or sw) Even though the graph's x or y axis have assumed values, it is not fair to expect it to pin point the weather trent to any degree. See there is no actual measurment being plotted on the graph but an idealistic trend instead.

Thing is, as soon as Suunto labels the x and y axis, they become exactly acountable for the Baro graphing now. As we can all appreciate, that would just pose new worries and artificial questions about the graphing capabilities and how accurate it is. Lasty, the hPa is displayed exactly, I dunno what you would be trying to determine viewing a graph that isnt
designed to do any more than reflect a quick visual change in weather.

Cool :roll:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not anything other than a visual graph so you can view the 'weather trends' over the past few hours. If you need an accurate, more accurate than any watch will ever be, log of the barometric pressure changes I'd suggest using a PC when you get home. You can not download your Core anyways, so uless you plan on remembering the last graph log, isn't the barometric pressure reading in hPa all you want at the time? Certainly you are not using days worth of graphing weather trends to determine your next move in the field. If you are day hiking, mountain biking, trail running, you don't need to worry about anything other than the last three and next three hours anyways!

Listen...I'm not trying to be harsh man but think about it for a minute and let's stay practical. To finish about the graph, understand that it is the most basic of graphs. Even though it has 'real time' plotting, there is no legend or description for the graph (manual or sw) Even though the graph's x or y axis have assumed values, it is not fair to expect it to pin point the weather trent to any degree. See there is no actual measurment being plotted on the graph but an idealistic trend instead.

Thing is, as soon as Suunto labels the x and y axis, they become exactly acountable for the Baro graphing now. As we can all appreciate, that would just pose new worries and artificial questions about the graphing capabilities and how accurate it is. Lasty, the hPa is displayed exactly, I dunno what you would be trying to determine viewing a graph that isnt

First off, a little late to the party aint'cha?

Second, if the trend was useless and all we would need is to get on our computer, perhaps Suunto should leave this feature off and drop the price by $50 dollars? Your "solution" doesn't hold water.

My T6 doesn't "flatten out" at all, (so I know that having a graph that auto scales isn't a tech limitation) and it is useful to see trends over the last 6 hours (more is an added bonus) because relative TRENDS are what show weather changes, not absolute pressure (hence the OTHER trend graph with the two lines that shows pressure changes over the last 6 hours).

Anyhow, this issue was resolved, as I posted later on (did you read that?). That particular day as the first post happened to have the baro pressure leveling out for that long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you see PhilH's stiched graphs above? I think there is a problem but I'd like your input paduncan. I agree that it makes perfect sense to prioritize the most recent part of the trend over ~20 hr old data.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did you see PhilH's stiched graphs above? I think there is a problem but I'd like your input paduncan. I agree that it makes perfect sense to prioritize the most recent part of the trend over ~20 hr old data.
I really have no idea. Generally, the graph is useful for showing trends. As Reed points out, there are no units, so it makes it hard to determine exactly what transpired.

Edit: There MIGHT be a possiblity that I had switched the ref altitude during this time period in the pics in this thread. I can't remember for sure. Since this was first posted, I can't say that I have had the same issue happen again. The other thing was that the baro pressure on that day was rising SHARPLY, and also falling sharply beforehand. So, add that into possible ref altitude and / or sea level adjustments and you might have some issues with the graph.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree that it is simply a visual indication to help with seeing weather trends over the past few hours. I'm not looking for any kind of accuracy, or axis labelling.

But if the graph chops off the top or the bottom on the right hand side then it is not showing the "past few hours" but giving preference to older trends. If the whole graph can't be shown then preference should be given to showing newer parts and to chopping off older parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found this old topic here ...

About the x axis of the graph. If you read the manual, then you know that graph lenght is 24h. y axis is not relevant because what you need id to see the changes and you have the current pressure anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts