WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On March 8th I will visit the LW booth at Baselworld. Let me know if you have any questions you like to be answered.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Do they ever plan of making an in-house movement?
Hi PatAz, not sure if this be of help to you, and I'm sure it is still a very valid question, but I recall seeing an interview with Morten some time ago saying that in-house movements were definitely not their priority in the immediate future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Ernie,

Thanks for the offer to get some LW questions answered. I have a few regarding the Oktopus II-

#1- Why have they omitted the helium escape valve from the new case?
#2- Did they eliminate the rotating diver's bezel to move the look more upscale/fashion forward or for some other reason?
# Is the new movement still ETA based?

Thanks, I look forward to what they have to say.

Franz

·
Registered
125 Posts
Questions?

First and foremost, please send my warmest regards and best wishes to Jorn. We met once when he came to S'pore and we had a brief chat about this much anticipated new Okto II.

To the questions,

- LW has gone funky with some bright colors and seems to be diverting away from its stealth dull black theme. Is the use of bright colors (orange Spidospeed, yelow Okto)) is what we can be expecting from future LW designs?

- Is the 5 structure case design the cause of the lower depth rating?

- Since LW has advanced to create a concept inspired by an air-tight pressure chamber (housing containing the movement is constructed for maximum resistance against water) with the four case parts built separately from the movement chamber and are used to hold the strap as well as to carry the attachable instrument, can we also expect to see a skeletonised diver from LW in the future (sekelonised four case parts)?

Thanks Ernie.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, sorry for the delay, but I have been extremely busy lately and getting all the stuff from Baselworld in articles to be published on our forums is demanding. But here are all the answers to your questions, thanks to Madina from Linde Werdelin:

Q: #1- Why have they omitted the helium escape valve from the new case?
1. The helium escape valve is a reasonable function for professional divers who operate at great depths, greater than 300 m and very long periods under water. The Oktopus II is water resistant to 300 m. The helium escape valve is not appropriate for scuba-diving and not relevant for our case construction.

Q: #2- Did they eliminate the rotating diver's bezel to move the look more upscale/fashion forward or for some other reason?
Today you cannot dive without a diving computer. And when you do, you just clip on the Reef, diving instrument. The rotating bezel is not a modern diving function.

Q: # Is the new movement still ETA based?
3. The movement is based on an ETA 2892 and we have integrated a Dubois Depraz big date calendar wheel.

Q: LW has gone funky with some bright colors and seems to be diverting away from its stealth dull black theme. Is the use of bright colors (orange Spidospeed, yelow Okto)) is what we can be expecting from future LW designs?
4. We find it quite spontaneous to start with plain/natural colours and later add colours. Indeed in future we shall play with multi-chromatic watches and the digital instruments.

Q: Is the 5 structure case design the cause of the lower depth rating?
5. Not at all. The 5 part case construction has been developed to guarantee the best water resistance. The 4 attachments with the fixed bezel seal the center cylinder secure there is no water ingress.

Q: Since LW has advanced to create a concept inspired by an air-tight pressure chamber (housing containing the movement is constructed for maximum resistance against water) with the four case parts built separately from the movement chamber and are used to hold the strap as well as to carry the attachable instrument, can we also expect to see a skeletonised diver from LW in the future (sekelonised four case parts)?
6. The skeletonised technique on LINDE WERDELIN Spido timepieces (SpidoLite II and SpidoSpeed) has been created for a functional reason, to reduce weight when doing high altitude sports experience. Since then it has become an iconic symbol of LINDE WERDELIN Spido watches. The Oktopus II is a diving watch. When in the water, weight is not an issue, so there is no need to skeletonised the case. It is crucial that we use special materials, such as ceramic, titanium and gold are highly anti-corrosive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts