Each year Baselworld brings one or two new interesting brands which start out small in a booth where there is very little foot traffic.  This year I had the privilege to meet and accidentally run into Orologi Calamai.  They deserve the Watchuseek attention for putting out amazingly cool tool watches, oh, and happen to also official watch of  the Italian Air Force pilots since 2016.

The brand has been making watches since 2008.  I accidentally stumbled upon their booth where Mr. Francesco Calamai and his lovely wife were sitting and enjoying Swiss chocolates.   He invited me to see his watches and I had few minutes between appointment so I decided to have a seat and I am so glad I did.

I was very impressed with the quality of the G50 chronograph.  The well polished 41mm case is forged from the steel of a General Electric turbine that equipped the F-104 of the Italian Air Force.  It is powered by Soprod 2021 A-10 COSC movement.

What's interesting is that Francesco is a Pilot first, watchmaker second.  He designs his watches as a Pilot thinking as a watchmaker rather than vice-a-versa.  The result is a easy-to-read chronograph with a inner-rotating bezel and screw-down crown with 330m water-resistant rating.

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKrC0_E_E8[/embed]

Stay tuned......I will be following-up with Mr. Calamai to do an in-depth review of the watch and perhaps even visit his hanger workshop in Firenze!

You can visit Orologi Calamai website .