WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading Watch Insider and saw that Patek has released 2 new models - both in stainless steel.

Baselworld 2014: Two ticking surprises provided by Patek Philippe

I suppose there is no point making them in gold when you can sell them for the same price in steel.

I want to like the new Nautilus but I think there is too much information on the dial. Would have loved to have seen a Nautilus with a travel time option and without the chronograph - it would have been my next purchase.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Funny, just a few days ago I was wondering when Patek will introduce their travel time into their Nautilus collection...

let me guess pricing...$43k for the Nautilus and around 60k-75k for the other...

My verdict: Nope and nope! Great movement and all but take away 20k and then ill take you seriously...

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I would love an 8960 in stainless but it won't be much cheaper than gold relatively, it is over $90K in gold MSRP right?

If it were under $50k I might be on the sales forum right now dumping a chunk of my collection but $80k+ is just too much for ME.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would love an 8960 in stainless but it won't be much cheaper than gold relatively, it is over $90K in gold MSRP right?

If it were under $50k I might be on the sales forum right now dumping a chunk of my collection but $80k+ is just too much for ME.
If it's too much for you it should be too much for the patek collector clientele.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The 5960/1A is $54,800.

The 5990/1A is $57,300.
Thanks!

And yea im just not taking Patek seriously anymore...I'd rather get a Pt950 Journe Centigraphe for that price.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't like any of the current Patek chronos so it comes as no surprise that I don't like these either. I find the 5960 particularly unappealing, even more so than the previous versions.

Nautlis travel time is just like the Aquanaut, I find that the extra pushers ruin the case symmetry.

Can an someone explain the dial lay out to me? Is there no running second hand?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
A steel Patek. The crowd goes wild.

Reactions: ilikebigbutts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
You guys just don't understand...

The 5960 in steel in a breakthrough from patek and there will be a huge waiting list. The dress watches are never in steel and the exceptions are very rare, commanding astronomical prices in auctions.

I'm placing the order with the AD this weekend.

In 30 years that steel 5960 patek will be worth a few hundred k or a million dollars depending on whether they keep producing steel models.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Here we go again... Patek and their ridiculous auction/investment/marketing/whateveryouwanttocallit gimmick. I would say they are quite lucky as a company cause they don't have to work as hard as others to prove their worthy. Half of their worth is by default simply from the name. I would love to see how they go on introducing ideas during their meetings...

Scenario:
Mr. Stern: Well, today we are gathered to introduce 2 new pieces into the world of Patek Philippe. My family has owned this company...bla bla bla...and we produce only the best until today....bla bla bla. Stephan, what do you have for us today?

Stephan: A breakthrough Mr. Stern! I have thought of an extremely precious piece that has been greatly requested by our collectors... Lets take two of our movements and place them in steel cases.....and lets charge the same prices as gold. *grins*

Mr. Stern: They will never see it coming! Session over!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
GO or BP or JLC makes a dress watch in stainless = not high-end enough

PP makes a dress watch in stainless = collector's item

Makes a lot of sense....

If PP is going to keep rolling out stainless the novelty will wear off quickly and the investment side won't be so bright.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Here we go again... Patek and their ridiculous auction/investment/marketing/whateveryouwanttocallit gimmick. I would say they are quite lucky as a company cause they don't have to work as hard as others to prove their worthy. Half of their worth is by default simply from the name. I would love to see how they go on introducing ideas during their meetings...

Scenario:
Mr. Stern: Well, today we are gathered to introduce 2 new pieces into the world of Patek Philippe. My family has owned this company...bla bla bla...and we produce only the best until today....bla bla bla. Stephan, what do you have for us today?

Stephan: A breakthrough Mr. Stern! I have thought of an extremely precious piece that has been greatly requested by our collectors... Lets take two of our movements and place them in steel cases.....and lets charge the same prices as gold. *grins*

Mr. Stern: They will never see it coming! Session over!
I think you are overly harsh on patek.

They may be more commercialized now, but they must have done something right to deserve their reputation. How about you try to build a company worth billions of dollars, survive and grow through 3 generations and over 175 years?

The steel patek is not just special for being in steel. It debuts a new in house chrono movement, which if successful will be used in many watches including the perpetual calendar chronos.

My guess on why patek debuts with a new steel model is not for collectors making it collectible or what not. It is steel to make a lower price point so that more people would buy it and become a test market. If this movement passes the test of many discerning buyers, only then will it be introduced to higher end models. Note that this new movement replaces all the old 5960s. If patek stops the steel model after a few years, this model will be collectible not just for the metal, but for the historical significance of establishing a new standard in patek movements. It's too early to guess. It could go either way, not a sure investment. But there are deeper reasons why such and such watch become collectible.

It's easy to just dismiss something very expensive as market fad, i don't think a superficial fad can last 100s of years without having real content. Also, rich people are not all stupid. Making generalizations is dangerous, just because you prefer a certain brand, does not mean another very successful brand is silly.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
GO or BP or JLC makes a dress watch in stainless = not high-end enough

PP makes a dress watch in stainless = collector's item

Makes a lot of sense....

If PP is going to keep rolling out stainless the novelty will wear off quickly and the investment side won't be so bright.
Funny you say that...although this industry as a whole makes almost no sense...

I think you are overly harsh on patek.

My guess on why patek debuts with a new steel model is not for collectors making it collectible or what not. It is steel to make a lower price point so that more people would buy it and become a test market. If this movement passes the test of many discerning buyers, only then will it be introduced to higher end models. Note that this new movement replaces all the old 5960s. If patek stops the steel model after a few years, this model will be collectible not just for the metal, but for the historical significance of establishing a new standard in patek movements. It's too early to guess. It could go either way, not a sure investment. But there are deeper reasons why such and such watch become collectible.

It's easy to just dismiss something very expensive as market fad, i don't think a superficial fad can last 100s of years without having real content. Also, rich people are not all stupid. Making generalizations is dangerous, just because you prefer a certain brand, does not mean another very successful brand is silly.
I agree with your criticisms that Im a little harsh on Patek...I just am because i am sick and tired of everyone who is involved with them (dealers, and non WIS collectors) and are very convinced that Patek is the best in the world. I always wonder where they place other brands like ALS and they just come up with some stupid excuse which makes no sense. Ignorance plays the largest part in this. Although i believe this to be the case that applies to most, i exclude someone like yourself as you seem to admire other brands as well...which i admire and respect.

RED:
I find that to be ridiculous. If you make a ss case so more people would buy it then what is the point if it still costs just as much as a gold case. My opinion is that Patek didn't care about affordability since they know their large consumer base will just buy it without regarding the price. They make money either way.

Patek movements are great and I cannot fault them one bit. If i respect anything about Patek, it has to be their movements. That said, I don't see them raising the bar any higher with their so called "new standard" in movements. They are making great stuff already and it is unfortunate that regardless of how this new "prototype" movement comes out to be...it will still be historical for Patek fans. Everything made by them is historical and personally, i just dont get it. In my mind, its viewing a far more beautiful, sophisticated and exclusive alternative to Rolex. Call me extremely biased, and i might be, but the brand doesnt do my personal taste any good.

Im not mentioning anything from Mr. you know who in this thread:-x

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Agreed.

Why can't we appreciate all these brands?
I appreciate Patek more than most other brands but also love almost all other quality brands which make attractively designed watches and/or movements.

Commenting on the high price of any luxury good is almost always a moot point.
If this watch had been 150k, then almost everyone here would complain.
But seeing as how it was priced similar to a high end in house chronograph with annual calendar, don't see what the issue is.

In a side note, what other watches are also annual calendar plus chronographs?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Zenith captain winsor. 10k. Although to be fair, with the exception of the boutique edition, it is up,there with the most boring dials ever made. I mean, that dial makes Pateks look exciting.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts