WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if the number of responses has a direct correlation to interest but the top three highest number of responses in the Baselworld 2017 Preview forum are:

1) Longines Flagship Heritage 60th Anniversary (20)

2) Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe (16)

3) Zenith Heritage 146 (12)

The Zenith is really grabbing me as well as the Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 and Blancpain. What are you seeing in the Previews that you like?

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
What Swatch is doing. GMT and moonphase HAQs. By specs, the world-class HAQs in the Longines VHPs. The Powermatic 80 Si models (Mido and Tissot) seem to be raising the bar quite a bit, arguably trying to undercut the 2892-using crowd. It also speaks, I think, to the industry as it moves forward, that Swatch can put silicon hairsprings and balance springs into what is likely to become their core movement, at fairly reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
What Swatch is doing. GMT and moonphase HAQs. By specs, the world-class HAQs in the Longines VHPs. The Powermatic 80 Si models (Mido and Tissot) seem to be raising the bar quite a bit, arguably trying to undercut the 2892-using crowd. It also speaks, I think, to the industry as it moves forward, that Swatch can put silicon hairsprings and balance springs into what is likely to become their core movement, at fairly reasonable prices.
I have always contended that a major driver of the trend towards silicon hairsprings are their consistency and the fact that they don't need to have their shape individually adjusted by a skilled watchmaker in order to achieve high accuracy. So, I'm not surprised to see Swatch use them in their chronometer certified movements in their more affordable brands, since skilled labor costs are responsible for a significant fraction of their production costs. This is also the reason why the Sistem51 is their only affordable 100% Swiss made movement, because it is totally machine made.

Reactions: Longjean

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh yeah that Longines looks terrific. BP Bathyscaphe should have been 40mm, I feel 38mm will be too small.
I agree. Plus, with a large bezel it will tend to wear even smaller.

I could be wrong but it appears that companies who tend to produce larger watches are going smaller this year, and companies that tend to produce smaller
watches are going larger. And of course the Heritage and Anniversary stuff. It seems like every additional 5 years of company history is now an Anniversary Edition--50, 55, 60...

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I am hoping for a 43mm version of that blue Bathy next week.

And that Longines... *swoon*

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Heuer Autavia!!

Looks awesome, and may well end up in my watch box.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Hamilton and Oris always seems to come up with something I like every year.

I missed the Coltrane a few years back but this year's Dextor Gordon looks like it'll make up for that. Don't know if it counts as a Basel watch though.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
The Longines' movement is a little small for the case, in the modern way, but at least this allows for non-nibbled 6, which is the cause of many a WIS freak-out.

The Blaincpain... could those indexes be even more nipple-like. I like the different take on the bezel pip though. What is it up to, 12 grand now for this small, brushed-steel watch?

Zenith looks OK.

Hamilton Intra-Matic chrono is going to be far too big; you can see it in the distended subdials. 16mm thick case too. This isn't really vintage :)

I am sure Tudor and Rolex new models will disappoint, as every year, the WIS crowd expects a slam-dunk cure for world hunger.

Nothing new from Breitling I've seen yet. I expect large and shiny, of course.

Maybe another couple dozen Speedmaster LEs, that ought to be fun :)

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hamilton and Oris always seems to come up with something I like every year.

I missed the Coltrane a few years back but this year's Dextor Gordon looks like it'll make up for that. Don't know if it counts as a Basel watch though.
As a jazz buff I always wanted a Coltrane but thought it was a bit overpriced. Dexter Gordon is my favorite tenor saxophone player so I will have to check it out!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ooh yeah that Longines looks terrific. BP Bathyscaphe should have been 40mm, I feel 38mm will be too small.
I agree. Previous owner of the 43mm and it wore smaller than the size suggest (felt like a 41.5-42mm). If the same applies, it would feel like a 36-37mm, which would be small for a sports diver. I think a 40mm would be perfect, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
I may get the Gordon down the line, if I decide I need to build the jazz trio. Got the pianist...the Monk. Hey, Oris! Bass player time!

BUT, I'd prefer to see this dial. I'd prefer it to be more in the browns than the grays; pics suggest brown, text suggests gray. Or good wrist shots down the line might resolve the issue.

·
Registered
Revue Thommen Airspeed Lemania 5100
358 Posts
Longines re-edition without the date? What's next, Rolex adding a new line to their collection?

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may get the Gordon down the line, if I decide I need to build the jazz trio. Got the pianist...the Monk. Hey, Oris! Bass player time!

BUT, I'd prefer to see this dial. I'd prefer it to be more in the browns than the grays; pics suggest brown, text suggests gray. Or good wrist shots down the line might resolve the issue.
Yes, the Dexter Gordon does look brown in pics with a brown strap but the text says gray. And even though he was called "Long Tall Dex" due to his 6' 6" frame, I'm not sure I want that written on the back.
Dexter Gordon would have been just fine.

I've got most of his recordings and I've never heard him put a note out of place. He would also squeeze in a bar or two from another song while improvising. Just an amazing player.
He was nominated for Best Actor for "Round Midnight" and also won a Grammy.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Heuer Autavia!!

Looks awesome, and may well end up in my watch box.
I'm with you on the Heuer Autavia. It looks awesome, and I think it's the perfect classic watch to bring back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts