WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am brand new here so bear with me if I am in the wrong place for this.
A little intro: I have always been a lover of watches, but a bit to frugal to ever buy an expensive one. I have mainly been limited to a few luminoxes and a fossil. But I am finally at a place where I feel fine with spending a grand on a watch. Anyway, on to my problem.
Back in Feb, I placed an order for a Bathys 100f auto, silver/ruthy. But due to limited supply, I still haven't recieved it. Now thanks to this site, I have been turned onto the Ocean7 watches, namely the LM-2gmt. So now I am really at a loss. I want both, but can only afford one. The more I look at the Ocean7, the more I like it. Probably because it has more in common with the Luminox I have worn nearly everyday for the last 5 years. But the Bathys has, I feel, a bit more sophisticated look to it, which is what turned me onto it in the first place. Anyway, I was hoping for a little insight, maybe from someone that has both. Or just something I might not have considered since this will be my first "real" watch, and by that I mean an auto that cost more than $200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Nick

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Welcome to WUS! This may just be the beginning for you. Soon you won't be eating much in order to fund your watch needs. JK.

I have heard great things about Bathy's and I know first hand that Ocean7 watches are absolutely incredible.

I would go with what looks better to you since both are of high quality.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to throw out your thought about one being more sophisticated than another. I wear my Ocean7 and other divers every M-F with a suit (often with french cuff shirts) and it looks great.

Get what looks best to you. Over time, I found that a watch I loved early on is only so-so later once I find other options.

Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, Seiko, it was actually your review that really got me leaning towards the ocean7. I think it may just push me over as well. That is one mean looking watch! I already emailed Mitch regarding pricing with the standard and special editions and availability. I haven't been able to locate any pictures of the lm-2gmt standard edition, I am assuming it is basically the same except color, non-pvd, and different lume. Man, these decisions are tough. And Nostalgic, I think i might be falling into what you mentioned at the end of your post.

·
Aquadive forum moderator
5,644 Posts
Welcome.

Both brands are new an will face the challenge of a growing watch company. I recommend that you look into each company, pick a watch you like and do a search in this forum for information.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum alot of good advice here,

I happen to wear a Bathys 100F BB Quartz that I purchased from Grand Gems in HI, I fell in love with the look then did my research thru this forum and other sites and decided to give the Bathys a try, Wow for me what a watch I have a Seiko/Bulova/ and a 70's vintage mechanical that are now collecting dust. This watch with the large numbers and big date plus great lume have just been a pleasure to wear. I use the rubber band and wear it pretty much 247 and have since last August it is hardy, accurate and has a simply elegance that I appreciate plus I had an opportunity to annoit it in the waters of Maui at Kihei it was a great bonding time, but on the serious side it has been my most expensive watch ever to purchase ( 495.00 ) for me where as some of the other gentlemen have serveral which is fine and actually I really enjoy their pictures, in any event I can speak for the Bathys not the O7 they do look nice and seem to be well spoken of but my vote is for the bathys feel free to reply back and I will answer any other questions you might have also the quartz might be less $ although they had to raise prices due to currency exchange rate.
HAPPY HUNTING
Dan.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
I have the Ocean7 LM-6 GMT and the G-2. I'm very biased as you can tell. Incredibly well made watches with equally incredible customer service. If you like being made part of the design team then O7 is for you. A quick browse of the O7 forum will show you what I'm talking about.

Todd

DISCLAIMER: Todd is an Ocean7 moderator and is therefore hugely biased.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
I may be as close as you get to a direct comparison of the two watches you're considering. I own a Bathys silver/ruthy 100 Fathoms auto, as well as an LM-2 (non-GMT version). They're both great watches, and I've gotten lots of positive comments on them. Buy my wrist is about 7 inches or a little less, and I've decided that the LM-2 is just too large and uncomfortable for me. I wore it to the beach a couple of weeks ago, and it just never felt like it was hugging my wrist properly when I was doing active stuff. But the Bathys fits like a glove and really seems to be tailor-made for water sports.

From a fit and finish standpoint, they're both high quality pieces that are worth the price. The ruthenium dial on the Bathys is one of the best watch dials that I've ever seen, and it's a big reason why I love the watch. A couple of gripes are that there isn't a bracelet available for the 100F, and the leather strap with deployant is horribly uncomfortable on my wrist. I believe I have a first generation model, and to my knowledge there have been improvements made since then. As for the LM-2, I like the subdued look of the burnt orange next to the darker finish of the Ti. The bracelet is solid and a good match for the watch, but a bit of a hair puller for me. I've also found that while I love the look of the internal bezel, it's really too impractical to use with any regularity. For actual diving, I wouldn't wear either of these as I have so many other bezeled watches. Both have good lume and are running about +10 seconds per day with their SW200 movements.

Interestingly enough, I was unsure about the Bathys when looking at in in pictures, but I loved it immediately after receiving it. My experience has been different with the LM-2, as I love the looks, but I haven't been able to connect with the watch in person. The 100 Fathoms will never be sold, short of dire financial calamity. But I think the LM-2 will be leaving soon, possibly to be replaced by the new smaller version (LM-5?) when it comes out.

Sorry for the rambling answer. :roll: Feel free to PM me for pics or with more specific questions.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had an LM-2. I loved the look, but the internal bezel (reflector) was not easy to use on a whim, which was a big reason I sold it for the Capeland that replaced it. It did fit my 7" wrist nicely. The silicone strap was super comfortable.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
i have a O7 LM-2 (non-GMT) and a Bathys 100Fathoms Auto (1st generation).

the bathy auto 1st generation design had a very small crown which made it very hard to grip. supposedly, a larger crown will be used in later releases but i don't know which version you'll be getting...i haven't seen any news that the second generation model has been released.

additionally, the crown stem on the 100fathoms piece is very short and the clearance between the start of the crown thread and the detente position of the crown when fully unscrewed is very, very close - when turning the crown to wind the watch, it was very easy to accidentally start to screw the crown in (which makes for greater chances of cross-threading) and then i have to back it out again.

i've not had any design complaints regarding my LM-2. the watch is definitely bigger than the bathys and it's something to be aware of. it wears comfortably on the wrist though, just has a longer lug-to-lug length.

if you like bracelets, the LM-2 has a bracelet option while the Bathys does not.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The LM2 GMT uses an ETA 2893 ? (not sure about the number) but I can say I have an LM6 GMT from O7 and this is one of the most accurate watches I own. Currently it's running at about 1sec per week!!! I have had many other people comment on the accuracy of this movement.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
welcome Nick!

I own watches from both companies......not much of a physical comparison as they are definitely 2 different watches. My O7's are frickers---larger and more tool-like (I dont have an LM2)

both are young companies that will have growing pains. Both offer great build quality/finish for the $$ IMO.

if you are leaning towards the Bathys look, you cant go wrong there

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I also own the Bathys 100F AQ auto. Great watch love the MOP dial. There totally different watches. I picked one up from piccones a AD for bathys and got it in two days! And that was two weeks ago, Cant imagine whats taking so long? Either way there both great looking timepieces (BUY BOTH AND SAVE URSELF THE AGONY)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hey Nick,
I have a Bathys black Aquaculture from the original 65 and an OCEAN7 LM-2 (non GMT). Both are great watches and I'd hate to have to choose between them. The Aquacultures have a better movement (ETA 2892-2) than either the 100 Fathoms or the LM-2 (SW-200) but my SW-200 runs about +9sec/day which is quite acceptable. The 2892-2 runs less than +1sec/day if I wear it for several days.

As for size the Bathys is 41.1mm and the LM-2 is 44mm in diameter. The LM-2 wears "large" because of its huge domed crystal. The LM-2 fits my 8" wrist just fine. The Bathys looks too small at first, especially after wearing a larger watch, but after a couple of hours looks fine. I never wear the Bathys leather deployant (uncomfortable) or the rubber strap (looks "wrong") but instead wear it on a black Zulu always. I started with a 2 piece Zulu but then bought a 1 piece with low light (PVD) hardware.

I have no experience with the small crowns Bathys originally used. All of John's watches now have a larger crown.

I can't really tell you which to pick. Both are excellent watches and I wouldn't hesitate to wear either on a dressy or formal occasion. Here are some shots of each to help make your decision even harder. :think: :-d

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
i forgot to add to the OP that buying USED is probably your best bet.......seems like you may possibly have a change of heart down the line

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, I've owned both, and they both have their good and bad points.

Let's start with the one that I still own - I bought one of the 2nd gen Bathys 100F Quartz with the Ti caseback. The only real issue I have has already been discussed here - that tiny crown, but I hear the new ones are better. There's just something about this watch that I love. It's got that beautifully curved crystal, and the dial just looks massive. I've thought about selling it a few times, but have never gone through with it. (although, admittedly I'm considering trading up from the quartz to an auto with the ruthy dial - they are stunning! If anyone wants to trade, let me know :-d)

Now let's talk about the one that got away - although it didn't get very far. I sold my LM-1 to Guido not too long ago, and I regret it every day. That was truly a special watch, seemingly one that I can only appreciate in its absence. Ocean7 makes some killer watches, high quality toolish watches - much more so than Bathys. I'm looking forward to my LM-7 more than just about any watch purchase I've ever made.

Go ahead and pore over the many pictures both here and on other sites, and make your decision. Although the winning money is on you getting both. I've seen it before! ;-)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I can second the satisfaction with the Bathys MOP AQ. Ditched the leather strap for Stingray...still using original clasp, but looking to upgrade it. Watch keeps great time also, like +3 secs day.b-)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts