WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a brand new Black/Black Core and of course it is DOA. Assume the battery was activated in the box somehow and killed it. When trying to unscrew the back with a nickel, it turns 1/4 turn then seems to stop. Is the back supposed to pop off now or is it supposed to continue to unscrew? S/N 032xxxxxx

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
No it continues to unscrew. The vector has only a quarter turn of travel, the core turns completely....

Take it to a jeweler, or if you have a clamp, you can hold the quarter in pliers for more torque...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched a good youtube video showing the process, I ended up getting a heavy flathead screwdriver and was still only able to get 1/2 of a turn total. My wife is taking it my jeweler today. Hard to believe this is normal, I hope it isn't crossthreaded from the factory. The website also said my 034xxxx serial number was too old for warranty. Must be having problems.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think that the website is in error now that we have rolled over to 2011... It's fine warranty wise....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Regarding your warranty, I had the same doubt regarding my Xlander that I just bought. According to your serial number, yours was made in 2010, the 34th week. Mine was 049xxxxx. I emailed and got an answer right away.Don't worry about it, it seems to be the change of date. Check my post about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My jeweler got the back off, changed the battery and it's 100% now. Loving my all black core so far, also ordered a green Core and an Aluminum/Black Core this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I call a Suunto dealer or the US service line to order a replacement back, mine was scratched during the battery change.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Ive never seen one available at a retail store for the Core... the VEctor, Observer, X Lander etc yes... but not the metal one for the Core.

could be though... I think someone got one from Suunto directly.

My point is that FOR ME, if the scratches were cosmetic only, I wouldnt care at all. I buy my watches to wear, not to admire... so case backs (or scratches on them) wouldnt bother me a bit.

YMMV.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How often do you sit an look at the back of your watch?
Especially when you'll have two other Cores to wear to alternate! :-d

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The Core is tricky to open. What I have found is it is necessary to apply decent downward pressure to start the removal, but then ease up on the pressure (takes the load off the o-ring)and continue to remove sometimes with just fingers. The install is the reverse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another trick my jeweler mentioned was super glueing a quarter in the slot, using pliers to turn the back, then use acetone to dissolve the glue.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I heard of a thing called a "watch ball" the other day. Kind of like a stress ball or something that you put on the back and twist. And Jeff, the back of my Core is all scratched up, I know just what you mean :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a nice .50 piece I use. :)
I purchased a battery replacement kit from amazon for the "Observer & X6" which came with the correct battery for the Core and a neat little key chain coin to help turn the back off. I ordered it because a friend said it works. The battery fits the Core and the "Coin" works great to remove the back off. No slip. Well worth the $8.95.. I ordered it with my core. Check it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Watch Scratches on the back!! OK!!

If you were to check out all the Cores people are wearing..You will find they are all nicked up. Fact!...Dont worry about the back of the watch on this one. This watch was made for working and stuff happens. If its a little rough..use a little wet dry super very fine paper to buff the scratches out. You will have a better watch!! Enjoy!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I have seen those and tried to use one.... no go for me. Granted I was trying on a Seiko many years ago before getting a proper case back tool.

I also have one of the wooden ones... no go there either. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts