WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
More detail here:
Apple Invents a Portable/Wearable Battery System for Apple Watch - Patently Apple

The patent was filed in 2015. Maybe they're waiting for flexible battery tech to mature (graphene is mentioned in the patent) but I kinda doubt it.

I don't like the implementation using a wired mini-puck. There was (or maybe still is?) a third-party battery strap that uses a charging puck integrated into a sort of base to which the AW is mounted -- but it ends up being pretty bulky, too.

It's still rare that someone's AW usage might keep the watch away from recharging for too long; pretty much the only way that someone runs out of battery before bedtime is if they wear it on a very long jog or bike ride.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GPS can kill the battery if on enough. I would want thebattery strap to charge as the watch is bring charged

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
GPS can kill the battery if on enough. I would want thebattery strap to charge as the watch is bring charged
The LEDs are a heavier drain on the battery than GPS; and, for now at least, GPS doesn't even turn on unless you start an outdoor workout without the phone in range.

I'd call this another preemptive patent by Apple. They do a lot of them -- come up with an idea and formalize it in writing. I don't expect to see this on the market.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts