WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those who might own a Wolff Cub watch winder. I recently purchased one. It takes two AA batteries.
My question is.
If it is continuously running about how long do the batteries last.
I do not have the A/C adapter for it at this time and may be buying one for it at a later date. I was looking to see if anyone has any experience with using the batteries only.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
36,346 Posts
Should be good for at least a month if used continually.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be good for at least a month if used continually.
Thank you.
I am running a watch on it now to test the accuracy of the watch. I was going to do this over a couple of weeks.
This is good to know.

·
Premium Member
36,346 Posts
Let us know what the actual battery life for you is when it comes time to change it out, as I only offered a somewhat educated guess......

Good luck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Would be nice to know the type of battery such as alkaline or lithium. I've switched to lithium in recent times because leakage is a real issue, destructive to battery terminals. Lithium is not a good value compared to alkaline in terms of runtime for most applications, about twice while cost is about 3-4 times that of alkaline.

·
Premium Member
3,498 Posts
I'd get the adaptor. They are cheap and the souks are full of them. When I get home I'll give you the specs from my Heritage winder adapter.

Edit: K, here's the skinny:

The plug is 5.6 mm OD and positive is on the inside.

Hope that helps.

Now I gotta go plug it back in so I don't kill those huge D size cells. WTF even takes D cells anymore? I remember a boom box I had would kill six in short order, but that was years ago.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone sorry so long for an update. Using an alkaline battery. after about two weeks I took the watch off the winder. The little light on the front still flashing green. After about two weeks the watch is running a total of 6 seconds slow.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Radio Shack made a universal adapter that had many different plugs, polarity change, selectable regulated DC output voltage and it was a linear (transformer). Probably made under different brands today. As long as the output power of the adapter is the same or higher it will work. A linear is best in terms of lower noise and long life. Switchers have high efficiency but are noisy and they will die. The linear type of adapter would be superior to many OEM adapters. Obviously the output and polarity must be set correctly or else, best to triple check prior to use and label your stuff.

Most folks abuse their adapters which are basically power supplies. Unpluging the adapter at the device first causes the output of the adapter to soar (spike transient) far greater than the usual output. The output regulator of the adapter will eventually fail because of the numerous spike transients. Should always unplug at the wall outlet or turn off the adapter first. The turn-off transient will be lessened because the connected device is a load that will dampen the transient. Turn-on also causes a transient, device(s) should be connected prior to applying power.

·
Premium Member
3,498 Posts
^^^That's useful to know and completely tracks with the stability of a switcher's feedback model. But the only switchers I've ever lost were in constant load devices like computer monitors where the on/off switch is upstream of the power supply. I don't think I've ever lost a cube. But then my life is saturated with cubes so if I lost five percent of them, I probably wouldn't know.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another update.
I ran the original test for two weeks. After that I did not use the winder for a couple weeks. I just ran it again with a different watch for a week and so far so good. So as of mow I am looking at just over three weeks so far.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
5 weeks and still going for mine

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Do you guys find the watch winder is worth the investment?
I see you got banned, but yes, I do find it worth it. Anyone wanting to read why I've personally changed my mind on watch winders, start at this link and keep reading the thread:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts