WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Battery replacement in gw5600

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cdude 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to a jewellry to change my GW5600 battery and they couldn´t make it work, so they only charge me the price of the battery ( 1 € ). Read somewhere that after replacing a battery on any GSHOCK it has to be reset, so I opened mine and found the "AC" sign but no button near so I can restart it. Is it normal? My GW5600 by now as a new battery but is dead ( not light, no dial, nothing ). Can anybody help me? There´s a little sticker in the back that says "After battery replacement, contact AC with battery (+) using tweezers", how could I do this contact, just touching the areas? Can somebody please help me? I´m not used to change batterys in GShocks ( and seems no one else in my crappt little town ). Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks a lot but allready managed to make it work. It´s very easy when you find out how, I used a open clip, one side on the back of the battery and the other on the CIRCUIT close to the AC sign, maybe in the future Casio manages to put a reset button that would make it easier ( and enclose instructions on the manual ) to change the battery. But anyway, I wonder how many G-Shock owners had to put away theire fiable watches after battery replace thinking it was "dead"? Normal life of first battery on a G-Shock from buying new till replace is 2 years if beep/light hour sign/daily alarm is activated so users who bought the GW5600 ( the "cheapest" "start" model ( mine was 60 USD in ebay new, so it´s well spent money for just 2 years watch ) may think it´s time to move on for another different model and put the good old 5600 to rest, even Casio may be aware of it and as so, it´s money to be earned. I for myself love my 2 years old GW 5600 with that simple and cool retro look, but maybe will buy a GW 6900 not to be replaced but to used it like from 2 to 2 days ( like changing shifts :) ) or for more extreme situations. I do love the retro look of the "elegant" GW 5600 and the "muscled" GW 6900 ( not such a fan of the "ugly" 6200 ) and while there are better models I think any G-Shock user should own at least as a colection piece the two ( or three ) classic models.

#6 · (Edited)
I once killed a sale in a drugstore by resetting the watch. The lady behind the counter could not make the watch work after a new battery so the customer began looking in the display case for a new watch. I asked if I could try and of course resetting the watch got it going.

I strongly recommend DIY battery replacements. It's easy to do, just get some $1 cereal box junkers from thrift stores and practice on those. Even if you do mangle your G you'll probably do less damage than some of the people behind the watch counter.

Moonpreacher, if you stick around here long enough you'll read horror stories of back gaskets not being put back on properly and watches flooding with water after a battery change. Consider yourself lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.