WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I almost titled this thread "Battle of the 40mm Tools", but then I realized it sounded like an adult movie featuring unfortunate men.

Anyway, cue the crazy Star Trek gladiator fight music (Star Trek Best Fight Scene EVER - YouTube) and let's begin:

EZM3

+ The best looking of the three, in my opinion.
+ Crown positioned on the left makes for a very comfortable watch I've found.
+ Best water resistance at 500m. I would actually find this useful. I dive a lot, and while 200m is fine, it's really just on the cusp for a diver.
+ Despite the non-tegimented case, the reports I read make it sound like a beefier, more durable watch than the other two. Accurate?

- No tegimented case.
- No UTC hand.
- The most expensive. Let me explain: due to how long it's been out, and the non-tegimented case, I'd probably be buying this one new.

856 UTC

+ Tegimented steel case and bracelet.
+ UTC hand.
+ Easiest to read of the three in my opinion. Like picking the easiest to read sports stadium Jumbotron though. All three are very legible.
+ Lightest of the three, while still maintaining a substantial weight.
+ Least expensive of the three.

- Least attractive of the three in my opinion, but again, a little like picking the least attractive Victoria's Secret model.
- Thinnest of the three... I worry it may look unsubstantial on my 7" wrist.
- Only 200m water resistance.

756 UTC

+ Second best-looking in my opinion.
+ Tegimented steel case.
+ UTC hand.
+ Second easiest to read in my opinion.
+ Chronograph. I'd actually use it a bit. Not a ton, but it's nice to have.

- No running seconds hand. I have mixed feelings about this. I might grow to like the simplicity. Or it might drive me nuts.
- Only 200m water resistance.
- Second most expensive. A used one in good shape on the bracelet might run me nearly as much as the EZM3 would new.
- Valjoux 7750 might be slightly more susceptible to shocks than the 2824 or 2893, due to more moving parts and it's trademark massive rotor? Or no?

Other bits and bobs to consider or throw out:

My girlfriend hates the look of the 756 and 856. That said, she only thinks the EZM3 is "fine"... And besides, she's had her eye on a watch for herself from a company called "Glam Rock"... So whatever.

While the tegimented cases of the 756 and 856 pick up less scratches than the EZM3, I've heard reports that when a mark shows up on the darker tegimented surface, it's pretty apparent... While everything kind of blends after a while on the EZM3.

· Registered
4,267 Posts
Re: Battle of the 40mm Tool Watches - EZM3 vs. 856 UTC vs. 856 UTC - TO THE DEATH

I've owned all three of them and enjoyed my times with them all... each a great watch in its own right... but whatever floats your boat... hard to choose a clear-cut winner :-d

happy hunting!
cheers,
Peter

· Registered
2,255 Posts
Re: Battle of the 40mm Tool Watches - EZM3 vs. 856 UTC vs. 856 UTC - TO THE DEATH

I would also add that service costs will be significantly higher for the 756 then the other two but if I had to choose one as a "only" tool watch it would clearly be the 756. The only reason you really need a seconds hand besides setting the watch to the exact second of the atomic clock (which it will deviate from in less then 24 hours) is to time things that are only going to last a few seconds or a couple minutes. timing things when the second hand starts at 17 seconds is a little cumbersome so you could wait 43 more seconds for it to come to 60 or you could just push a chrono button. Rarely do I need to know which minute and official second it is in a day and if I am ever in dire need of this on some task then I will just bring my atomic G-Shock. I time things with the second hand and rotating bezel, but both are more cumbersome then a true chrono. I say go with the 756!

Reactions: robmellor

· Registered
911 Posts
If you don't need UTC and can spring for the extra bucks go with the EZM3. I have never owned one of these but I wouldn't worry about scratches on the bracelet. Not having a second hand on the 756 would drive me nuts. If you feel the 856 is the least attractive, don't go there. That said, I just picked up an 856 and like it a lot. The thinner case and teg bracelet are great. I don't plan on swimming with it, but if it gets wet while doing dishes it will be fine.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,587 Posts
"BATTLE...TO THE DEATH"???
Awfully big words (even without the capital letters).

I very much prefer a peaceful coexistence that has place for several Sinns; all living together in perfect harmony.

And as for your girlfriend "hating" one model or the other: girlfriends come and go, a well maintained mechanical watch can stay with you forever and one day you may even be able to pass it on to your children.
Unless you are Oedipus, try that with a girlfriend.... :-d

· Sinn Moderator
9,834 Posts
""BATTLE...TO THE DEATH"???
Awfully big words (even without the capital letters).

I very much prefer a peaceful coexistence that has place for several Sinns; all living together in perfect harmony."

Kurt speaks for me! I have an EZM3 in a collection of several other Sinn watches and mine all live in perfect harmony! Cheers, Bill P.

· G-Shock Mod
14,492 Posts
I think it really depends, EZM3 sounds like a good "compromise"

UTC hand is good to have, but if you remember the time difference between your current and target time zone, then the time can easily be calculated.
And the chronograph is nice, if you rough "guess-timate", I can use the timing bezel to point to the hour hand that would allow me to guess the time elasped over 60 min.

I would imagine EZM3 is the toughest of the bunch because of the anti mag, and added WR and less complication on the movement.

The only thing I worry about the EZM3 is the bezel, I think there were very few reports about the bezel popping off or losing the lume triangle. But they don't happen very often.

One complain from me about the bracelet of EZM3 is that its right in between sizes for my wrist size. Its either a bit tight or a bit lose, I can never size it right. :(

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Actually, I have been looking at your 856 UTC that you have in the for sale forum. I'm trying to keep myself from making another purchase right at the moment. I have also owned an EZM3 and sold it to a WUS member that has posted on this very thread. The EZM3 is a great watch . . . but do to the red date wheel I had trouble reading the date. I would'nt mind a second go round with an EZM3 . . . specially since I have a Sinn rubber strap with the small deployant clasp that would look great on that watch. Good luck with your battle.

· Registered
50 Posts
Don't look to your girlfriend for watch advice. She likes a fashion watch company that I have never heard of and sounds like a CVS brand(so all of the brand value is gone right there) that makes 46mm watches for WOMEN(the dial will be falling off of her wrist and forget about the lugs) at > $1000

It's a travesty. Please, for the sake of the watch gods, tell her to stop this madness!

· Registered
43 Posts
All 3 are great...and if your girlfriend hates something, it's probably the one to go with!!!

· Registered
976 Posts
I have an EZM3 and am planning on adding a Sinn GMT watch of some sort in the next year or so. The EZM3 is a very cool watch and of the three would likely be my choice. As noted above, the bezel is a bit suspect. Unlike the bezels on beefier Sinn models, it feels a bit thin, a bit sloppy, and of course the lume triangle thing might be worrisome. My personal watch *is* a bit dinged up in comparison to my other watches. Still, it has character.

My second pick would be the 856. Lack of a seconds hand on the chrono would drive me crazy, so that option would be a no-go for me. Good luck!

· Registered
2,109 Posts
All three should be able to co-exist peacefully.

I'll have an 856 and EZM3 next week. I'm not a big chrono fan but love the look of the 756 Diapal....

· Registered
Steel Tudor Prince Date, black indices dial, 74000-0013
526 Posts
If you don't need UTC and can spring for the extra bucks go with the EZM3. I have never owned one of these but I wouldn't worry about scratches on the bracelet. Not having a second hand on the 756 would drive me nuts. If you feel the 856 is the least attractive, don't go there. That said, I just picked up an 856 and like it a lot. The thinner case and teg bracelet are great. I don't plan on swimming with it, but if it gets wet while doing dishes it will be fine.

Good luck!
Just a tip I learnt from Sinn. You would 'potentially' risk your Sinn 856 watch more doing the dishes with it on than going swimming. As a case heats in the hot water of your sink it expands, quickly allowing moisture inside. You also have the added issue of chemicals remaining on the seals, even if you rinse the watch. All Sinn watches ARE designed to handle water and swimming believe me. Especially Sinn's SUG sourced cases. As a general rule stay away from showers, hot baths, saunas, chemicals- including dishwashing liquid; and ANY significant changes in heat cold to hot OR hot to cold room tempertaures.

I too have grappled with deciding between 856 and EZM3 after much research into current lines of German watches. From what I have read and from what Sinn has told me (I bother them allot) the only thing technically different about the two watches, unless you are a serious diver (I am yet to meet one), is tempertaure resistance. 856 = -20 to +60 Celcius and EZM3, being a mission timer is tougher = -45 to +80 Celcius. Just breifly, EZM3 was designed for Special Operations Police and Customs Officers of the German Government. It is better than a diving watch IMHO as it is designed to operate on land as well as fullfill, as one member put it, most diving operations if necessary. 856 on the other hand is more of a general tool first, dress second, tough, tool watch.

In terms of authetics, at first sight I liked the look of the 856 much more as its easier to read and more elegant as well as being able to fulfill the all important role of tool, essential for any true watch lover, except your GF ...right!? In fact I thought the EZM3 was goddarn ugly at first sight. However, what I have noticed with many Scnadinavian things is that they tend to grow on you. What these watches offer and indeed German Engineering and Science in general is fascinating: Character, class, elegance and prestige. Once your GF opens her eyes to these qualities, like many of us do, they will love the watch and more so you for having the brains to choose a timepiece like this! Those who dont could, politely, be said to lack intellectual capacity. Or in laymens terms they could be said not to have good tastes.

So which one should you choose? These two watches are clearly the best in the technology and value for money stakes and for their intended purpose- tool and everyday wear. If you are a SERIOUS, regular or career diver buy a diving watch. Members are right in that you cant go wrong with either one 856 or EZM3, but firstly and most importantly choose the right one for your needs and purpose based on technological specs!!! IMO austhetics should be your last consideration, because as mentioned German watches are not good looking watches. UNLESS you think two dimensionally, like the Germans' and Scandis'- Always think, like I do, that 'FORM MUST FOLLOW FUNCTION'. Then they become more than just beautiful watches ...They become techological marvels, timeless classical timepieces.

The battle to the death is an appropriate choice of words and for me it continues... Why? Because years ago the EZM3's style, particularly the bezzel, would have only been considered a ditched attempt at a sports watch, so the choice would have been easy 856. However, that is until it was made famous by James Bond's Rolex Submariner where it became elegant and manly in conforming to popular culture. Now the EZM's style has a cult following and a sense of manly elegance. A Tudor Herritage Black Bay is an recent example- But dont go there it is not woth the money and it is sadly let down by its case. It is not longer Oyster signed and made by Rolex.

Reactions: RSDA

· Registered
1,110 Posts
I guess time for resurrection after "The battle to the death"

Reactions: CMSgt Bo

· Registered
136 Posts
I guess time for resurrection after "The battle to the death"
Looking at the OP's profile it looks like he tried all three of the watches in succession: 756 UTC >856UTC > EZM 3. I wonder if he's still around to chime in and tell us how he liked each of those watches. I'm also curios if he's still with the same girlfriend.

I was very close to pulling the trigger this weekend on an 856 (Non UTC) for myself; I wanted to get in before the Sinn/Watchbuys price increases. At the last instant my better angels talked me out of it on financial grounds. I'm still hoping to be able to buy a new or used Sinn in the next few months and the 856 or EZM 3 are the two that I'm currently considering. The 756 is just too expensive for me to consider it as a tool watch.

If I were to place a new order today (BTW Watchbuys is still showing the old prices 865 (Non UTC) strap $1,610; EZM 3 strap $1,850) I'd probably go for the EZM 3. The 856 seems a bit more versatile on the rugged<->dressy continuum. However, though I do own a nice blazer, trousers, dress shirts and ties I really only wear them a couple of times a year. The EZM 3 on the other hand looks like a watch that I'd wear on the outside of my volunteer ski patrol uniform next to my radio 40 days a year and be less concerned about beating it up. It also has better grade oils that let it run well in really cold weather. As for the Tegimented case difference: the 856 may hold its looks and resale value a bit better. However if I like a watch I'll probably keep it for a long time and I really don't care about some "beauty marks".

A big question for me would be if the different case shapes change the way the watch feels on the wrist. The EZM 3 looks like it has more drop on the lugs and may ride a bit differently because of that. I also like the left side crown for sporty use skiing and biking. However the 856 is a bit lighter and it's slightly lower profile would layer better under cold weather clothing.

Photos from Sinn:

Product Fashion accessory Steel Strap Metal

· Registered
253 Posts
In case anyone is looking for an EZM3 I've put mine up for sale.

40mm is becoming my comfort zone lately.

· Registered
23 Posts
I've owned both the 856s UTC and the EZM3 (as well as a U2 and U2s). I think both are classic watches which go well with those special missions to the office or pub. Of the two, however, I think the EZM3 is just a tad bid cooler. The Ux series almost defines the Sinn diver series now, but I think over time the EZM3 will become more appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.