WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
My goodness I never even saw that release! What a striking watch!
While they are very limited if I read that correctly, Chopard watches are not very well known and depreciate quite a lot, which means I need to keep an eye out for those. Maybe one could come up for sale at a reasonable discount.

Thank you for your input!
I have not had the chance to try the Octo Chronograph, how does it wear compared to the GSOTM? The Octo finissimo base (40mm) felt surprisingly large for a 40mm due to the square case.
Chopard is almost a glorified fashion watch - although I still love them since most have some sort of car theme.

Chopard LUC is definitely high horology! They are amazing pieces and although they don't depreciate like the regular line - they do suffer from association and are great buys second hand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thank you for your input!
I have not had the chance to try the Octo Chronograph, how does it wear compared to the GSOTM? The Octo finissimo base (40mm) felt surprisingly large for a 40mm due to the square case.
My pleasure. How the Octo wears is very tough for me to describe as it's unlike anything else I've owned or worn. It's most similar to my AP 15500 with the integrated bracelet and similar overall dimensions, but the thinness somehow makes it feel both lighter/less obtrusive but also lager on the face of the wrist. I think it's because its so flat, so the weight, both visual and literal, is spread more evenly than my other watches. The GSOTM just wears like like all of my other Omegas. That sounds dismissive, but it's not. I own several Omegas specifically because I like how they wear. My Big Blue is as large or lager than my DSSD but feels smaller and more comfortable.

Once I got over the odd (not bad) feel of the Octo, I find it to be the most comfortable watch I own. I've only had it for about 1.5 weeks, but I'm smitten. Man... I can't believe I'm writing this about Bvlgari. Lol. If my AP wasn't an AP (with all the history that entails), I think my Octo would be my favorite in the collection.

Reactions: ar7iste

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My pleasure. How the Octo wears is very tough for me to describe as it's unlike anything else I've owned or worn. It's most similar to my AP 15500 with the integrated bracelet and similar overall dimensions, but the thinness somehow makes it feel both lighter/less obtrusive but also lager on the face of the wrist. I think it's because its so flat, so the weight, both visual and literal, is spread more evenly than my other watches. The GSOTM just wears like like all of my other Omegas. That sounds dismissive, but it's not. I own several Omegas specifically because I like how they wear. My Big Blue is as large or lager than my DSSD but feels smaller and more comfortable.

Once I got over the odd (not bad) feel of the Octo, I find it to be the most comfortable watch I own. I've only had it for about 1.5 weeks, but I'm smitten. Man... I can't believe I'm writing this about Bvlgari. Lol. If my AP wasn't an AP (with all the history that entails), I think my Octo would be my favorite in the collection.
Very cool to hear! Chopard and Bulgari are a great example of 2 incredible manufactures that don’t get enough credit in the watch world based on their other products/brand image. I love their creations (and wish I could have scored a 1860 LUC before I bought my other dress watches).

The other Bulgari I am looking into is significantly cheaper but similar in design, even if it doesn’t have the bracelet of the new finissimo gmt. It is titanium and 41mm (Vs 42), and water resistant to 100m. Maybe a good contender after all. One more reason to find a store to try them.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I never thought I'd say that about a timepiece from Bvlgari, but the bracelet, the thinness, the interesting rotor design, and the unique case shape all combine to create what I find to be a truly striking watch. I love it.
I tried one of these on while on vacation last week, and I have to agree. I've never looked at or tried on a Bvlgari, but this was a very cool watch. Amazing how thin and light this watch is.

On this trip, I was really hoping to find(and probably buy) the GO 70's Chrono. They look great in pictures, but, in visits to 5 different AD's at different locations, I've yet to be able try one on.

I also saw the Hublot Classic Fusion for the first time(my wife wanted to look at them). I'd never considered Hublot, since the only versions I'd ever seen were the monstrosities worn by Boxers, Footballers, rappers, etc. The store told me it's a modified 7750, but I believe it's actually a modified ETA 2892 with the chrono module added. I realize the Hublot brand is not exactly a forum favorite(or one of mine), but I really like(and now own) this one(please excuse the crappy iPhone pic):

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Since we are talking about smaller brands, and I have always loved independents (owning a Linde Werdelin and a Chronoswiss), what about DeWitt Chronostream? It looks like they use a modified 7753, but the piece looks cool, exists in full titanium or gold/titanium combo, and around 42.5mm/13mm thickness is smaller than most other pieces in this thread.

It’s an elusive brand but if anyone has some input I would gladly hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Very cool to hear! Chopard and Bulgari are a great example of 2 incredible manufactures that don’t get enough credit in the watch world based on their other products/brand image. I love their creations (and wish I could have scored a 1860 LUC before I bought my other dress watches).

The other Bulgari I am looking into is significantly cheaper but similar in design, even if it doesn’t have the bracelet of the new finissimo gmt. It is titanium and 41mm (Vs 42), and water resistant to 100m. Maybe a good contender after all. One more reason to find a store to try them.
You can’t go wrong with an El Primero driven Bvlgari.

Since we are talking about smaller brands, and I have always loved independents (owning a Linde Werdelin and a Chronoswiss), what about DeWitt Chronostream? It looks like they use a modified 7753, but the piece looks cool, exists in full titanium or gold/titanium combo, and around 42.5mm/13mm thickness is smaller than most other pieces in this thread.

It’s an elusive brand but if anyone has some input I would gladly hear it.
On the other hand, for my dollar DeWitt would have to use something other than a Valjoux. The dial and materials look nice, but this would be a pass for me. I’m surprised it’s that thin with a Valjoux under the hood. Perhaps the absence of one of the subdials allows them to make it thinner.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I tried one of these on while on vacation last week, and I have to agree. I've never looked at or tried on a Bvlgari, but this was a very cool watch. Amazing how thin and light this watch is.

On this trip, I was really hoping to find(and probably buy) the GO 70's Chrono. They look great in pictures, but, in visits to 5 different AD's at different locations, I've yet to be able try one on.

I also saw the Hublot Classic Fusion for the first time(my wife wanted to look at them). I'd never considered Hublot, since the only versions I'd ever seen were the monstrosities worn by Boxers, Footballers, rappers, etc. The store told me it's a modified 7750, but I believe it's actually a modified ETA 2892 with the chrono module added. I realize the Hublot brand is not exactly a forum favorite(or one of mine), but I really like(and now own) this one(please excuse the crappy iPhone pic):
You never know until you try them on! I tried the same model you bought and really liked it, even though if I was buying a Hublot I'd probably go for a Meca 10 in titanium. They're so cool! Nobody cares about the soccer BS marketing, they make cool watches with serious movements and innovative materials + design.

You can’t go wrong with an El Primero driven Bvlgari.

On the other hand, for my dollar DeWitt would have to use something other than a Valjoux. The dial and materials look nice, but this would be a pass for me. I’m surprised it’s that thin with a Valjoux under the hood. Perhaps the absence of one of the subdials allows them to make it thinner.
Well, that's one thing that I don't really like about DeWitt's communication, they seem very opaque about which movements they use, how they decorate it and modify it. For a small family owned business, I would expect more transparency and direct communication to the customer. They do make some incredible pieces with local Swiss movement manufactures, but it's hard to know anything about them and the quality of execution without going to their Switzerland boutique. I have to rely on reviews.

I guess it's one more reason to make a detour to Geneva in March or June when I am in the area.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Check out the new Omega. Awesome Bracelet, incredible 321 movement, display casebook and 40mm!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega-speedmaster-caliber-321-stainless-steel-ed-white-introducing
I saw this, it’s really nice! The best Speedmaster «.moonwatch.» yet in my opinion, with ceramic bezel, integrated column wheel and applied logo. If I didn’t have a Speedy it would be the top runner but I don’t think the price justifies the upgrade right now.

And I do love the lyre lugs of my model.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts

Funny enough, but I bought my Octo while on vacation as well (a cruise ship). Two brands I visited while on the cruise that have never even made my radar before: Bvlgari and Hublot. Well, sort of. The Octo was already on my radar thanks to this forum, but I'd forgotten about it largely until the cruise. After browsing various brands on board and at shore, it was down to the Octo I purchase and a Carbon Fiber/ Blue Hublot. Great choice on your Classic Fusion. Congrats!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
After a few days spent with my LW Okto Carbon, I love it so much that I’m thinking about the Spidospeed forged carbon. So many options at this price point! And I love that it doesn’t have a date.
Anyone has one or opinion on the quality of this model?

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
After a few days spent with my LW Okto Carbon, I love it so much that I’m thinking about the Spidospeed forged carbon. So many options at this price point! And I love that it doesn’t have a date.
Anyone has one or opinion on the quality of this model?
That is a choice! I like it although I probably won't buy one simply because I have too many skeletons as-is.

Any thoughts on a Devon Tread 2? It's (technically) a 12-minute jumping second chronograph and should be a bit more wearable than the LW.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That is a choice! I like it although I probably won't buy one simply because I have too many skeletons as-is.

Any thoughts on a Devon Tread 2? It's (technically) a 12-minute jumping second chronograph and should be a bit more wearable than the LW.
Interesting watch, but not my cup of tea. Plus I think it would wear larger than the LW given the lug to lug dimensions and being stainless steel. The concept of belts however is super neat!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
What's the movement of the LW like? Is it 775x based?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What's the movement of the LW like? Is it 775x based?
I am not sure, I have read contradictory comments about it. The first spidospeed had a Concepto movement according to Fratello, but on this new 3d skeletonized version I am not sure, and it's hard to find a correct source of information.
Apparently the LW 06 is based on the Concepto C2251, and very close to a Valjoux 7750. I can't see a column wheel in the pictures I have seen online so it would make sense.

I have also discovered the Triple retrograde chronograph from Harry Winston in Zalium. Very cool piece, and grey market prices are close to the budget. It comes in many (MANY) variations of colors. It uses the F Piguet movement with column wheel + vertical clutch.

Screenshot_2020-01-12 Harry Winston Ocean Triple Retrograde Chronograph Automatic OCEACT44ZZ002 .png

OCEACT44WW003.jpg

oceact44zz007.jpg

Harry_Winston_C1075366-detail.jpg

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
^
Not sure what size the HW is, but it’s certainly a very left field choice.
If the retrograde style is a novelty you find desirable, then you should be looking at the Genta Bvlgari Octo Quadri-Retro, and Genta Arena Quadri Retro too.
Uses the same movement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a great set of options. Based on aesthetics, my vote would be for the IWC Ingenieur Chronograph Racer. Omega would be second. Any of the 5 would be great, though, at the right price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Any thoughts on the Zenith Defy 21?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
It’s definitely an option, I have tried on the ceramic version on rubber and I love the fact that I could switch between a rubber and bracelet. It’s on the large size, probably the very maximum I could wear, I have a picture somewhere on my phone that I need to find. It did feel really good on the wrist, not the sparkle of joy I had when I first tried some other watches I bought, but it felt good.

My only gripe with this watch is fairly stupid, I’ll admit it, but it’s such a commonly known piece that there’s nothing unique or exciting about a watch that you find in every online store, every AD and that has thousands of siblings around the world. I do want a piece that’s a little more unique I think. Yet it fits the bill and the complication itself is fairly unique: 2 balance wheels! 50Hz!

·
Registered
745 Posts
It’s definitely an option, I have tried on the ceramic version on rubber and I love the fact that I could switch between a rubber and bracelet. It’s on the large size, probably the very maximum I could wear, I have a picture somewhere on my phone that I need to find. It did feel really good on the wrist, not the sparkle of joy I had when I first tried some other watches I bought, but it felt good.

My only gripe with this watch is fairly stupid, I’ll admit it, but it’s such a commonly known piece that there’s nothing unique or exciting about a watch that you find in every online store, every AD and that has thousands of siblings around the world. I do want a piece that’s a little more unique I think. Yet it fits the bill and the complication itself is fairly unique: 2 balance wheels! 50Hz!
There's a forged carbon version and a white ceramic version that is limited to something like 100 or 200 pieces, if you want something a bit more unique.

I really liked Zenith's take on forged carbon, in person it felt better than anything short of Richard Mille, and miles better than AP's earlier work.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts