Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i m looking for a new "luxury" diver. i have a budget of 5,000usd and that is my limit. my wife will kill me if i spend a penny more.
criteria:
1. luxury diver
2. black/white dial. its a personal preference.
3. min. 43mm case. - i m big, real big.
4. steel bracelet. i dont like rubber/ leather.
5. non chronograph. i want it simple.
6. hardcore. it must be durable, my watches are prone to bumps.
7. Unique. i dont want to be spotted in an event wearing the same watch with 3 other guys.
8. NEW. i dont want a preowned.

i read thru the forum and found that the Planet Ocean Big Size being mentioned real often, its great but has became too common nowadays.
i started a poll and hope you guys are kind enough to help me choose a new watch after my LLD incident.
owners' reviews will be deeply appreciated.

found a few watches that fit my criteria.

4141695555_d63f0a334a.jpg
Omega PO 45.5

375920d1295489660-fs-3500$-white-iwc-aquatimer-2000-bracelet-iwc2.jpg
IWC aquatimer 2000

621712d1328669485-sold-fs-bremont-supermarine-black-dial-bracelet-mint-full-kit-sold-587-406-bre.jpg
Bremont Supermarine 500

919299d1356882131-your-best-looking-watch-uploadfromtaptalk1356882126186.jpg
Breitling superocean heritage 46

850201d1350448235-about-buy-my-first-breitling-love-avenger-seawolf-please-help-me-decide-imageu.jpg
Breitling seawolf

*all pics borrowed from members of wus.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Your budget is not even half a "luxury" diver like the Blancpain 50 Fathoms or Breguet XX.

Of those you have listed, Breilting SOH - but it's probably also the most likely to be seen in the wild. My recommendation would be Ball Ceramic XV

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your budget is not even half a "luxury" diver like the Blancpain 50 Fathoms or Breguet XX.

Of those you have listed, Breilting SOH - but it's probably also the most likely to be seen in the wild. My recommendation would be Ball Ceramic XV
tried the ball ceramic XV, its too small. i m looking for a min. 43mm case.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I like and have the Omega but it seems that you have basically dismissed it.
Of the rest the Bremont looks great, I am looking at getting a Bremont in a month or two.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I like the PO, always have. But that IWC is stunning. And, i think a little less common than the PO IMO.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Out of those I would choose the superocean. Just want to throw it out there that you can have a Seiko spring drive diver for <5K. I would do this, but that's just me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I prefer the looks of the Omega the most, but your criteria seem to disqualify it as it is probably the most common. My second fav is the IWC but it may be too small for you. I can't help but think of the Christopher Ward Triton when I look at the Bremont. I recommend the Breitling Seawolf. Breitling are known for very large watches to begin with and you will probably come across the SOH more than the Seawolf. Also, are you are looking for somethng more formal (SOH) or casual (Seawolf)?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
Ball Deepquest should fit the bill. Production numbers are low enough you won't bump into anyone with it.

Reactions: wtf

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Orbital will be plenty big then, or the new NEDU.
i thought the OP wasnt looking for a chronograph?
i guess the ball EM2 diver worldtime @ 45mm and the ball EM2 Diver chronometer @ 44mm are better recommendations within the ball camp.
but i wont compare the balls to those he has chosen.

if its me i will add 20% to that budget and get a Rolex Sub.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Out of the watches listed, the Bremont says "luxury" to me more than any of the others.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ball DeepQUEST immediately came to my mind, as well. You can find grey market pricing around $3200--not sure about the AD pricing. You won't find too many with this. There will be the usual titanium tradeoffs--light weight vs. more scratches on band and case. Handsome watch, and COSC.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I prefer the looks of the Omega the most, but your criteria seem to disqualify it as it is probably the most common. My second fav is the IWC but it may be too small for you. I can't help but think of the Christopher Ward Triton when I look at the Bremont. I recommend the Breitling Seawolf. Breitling are known for very large watches to begin with and you will probably come across the SOH more than the Seawolf. Also, are you are looking for somethng more formal (SOH) or casual (Seawolf)?
I m retired. Formality is no longer a necessity in the criteria.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ball DeepQUEST immediately came to my mind, as well. You can find grey market pricing around $3200--not sure about the AD pricing. You won't find too many with this. There will be the usual titanium tradeoffs--light weight vs. more scratches on band and case. Handsome watch, and COSC.
I see that there r lots of ball deep quest recommendations. But I m looking for something with more "prestige" to the non wis.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I fear the same about the bremont. Its well known among the wis but virtually unknown to the others.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I see that there r lots of ball deep quest recommendations. But I m looking for something with more "prestige" to the non wis.
If prestige is a factor and formal occasions are not, then I recommend the Breitling Seawolf. Non-WIS aren't likely to identify a Bremont or IWC. All that being said, I still prefer the Omega PO out of all of them, however, you will be more likely to see another one in the wild.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts