WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A somewhat odd title for this article, I must confess. But allow me to explain.

Last January at the SIHH I got to see the new Baume et Mercier Clifton collection, and I was impressed by the beauty of it. Baume et Mercier succeeded to bring the 1950s to the future!

My good friend Robert-Jan Broer from Fratellowatches.com, who joined me at the SIHH already wrote an excellent article about the Clifton collection. His article contains more details about the Clifton series, including information about the movements. Definitely worth your read. You will also read about our interview with Mr. Alexandre Peraldi.

Mr. Peraldi is known for the clothes he wears. When I asked him about his fashionable clothing and the design of a rather classic looking Clifton collection, he told me that he is not trying to be fahionable, but instead chooses the dress himself this way to be most comfortable. His clothes do not express his opinion about designs. In fact he gathers all the necessary information on a product like the Clifton and besides being the main designer, also performs as a catalyzer to bring his ideas to the final watches. By the way, check his wrist and look further down below to see what watch he was wearing.

Ok, let's continue. Perhaps the way I was impressed by the Clifton collection guided me to not only visit the SIHH 2013, but also the SAHH at Gassan Diamonds in Amsterdam, and two days ago the special Clifton event, organised by Steltman Watches on a boat in The Hague. Ok, I must admit that it's also because of the very nice people behind the brand. They are very appreciative and know how to make you feel at home.

But before I explain the title, it is best to show you some pictures, and have you decide if I am right about my opinion about the Clifton:

Recognize this one from a picture above?

This is of course only a part of the Clifton collection, but honestly, did I say too much? Still not convinced? Then have a look at the video:

Ok, what about that title, why did I came up with "no longer an alternative"? Is it that Baume et Mercier no longer IS an alternative? Oh, no, not at all!

I came up with the title after I spoke to Ron Karssen from Steltman Watches on the boat last Thursday evening. First you should know that Steltman also carries IWC, Christiaan van der Klaauw, A. Lange & Söhne, Aspen, Patek Philippe, Cartier, Officine Panerai, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Zenith, Breguet, Chopard, and Grönefeld.

Well, here's the explanation of my title. You see, Ron told me that people that walk into his store, and are looking for, let's say an IWC Portugueser, it is not likely they end up buying one of the Baume et Mercier watches they have in stock. But Ron notices an increase in interest for Baume et Mercier, and with the current Baume et Mercier collection the customers that are looking for a well designed watch with (or without) a manufacture movement, they very likely will end up buying a Baume et Mercier Clifton or Capeland. Because, and I know this is borderline, there is no need to look for an alternative after you've seen the Baume et Mercier collection, is there? I even dare to say that Baume et Mercier is THE only alternative considering the price range (although steep), the movements and the design.

Are you still here? Yes? Thank you, then let's proceed and show you some more pictures.

Here's my photo report of the Clifton event in The Hague (next stops of the boat are: Amsterdam, Liege, Brussels, and Antwerp), together with a couple of pictures from the SAHH:

Mr. Frédéric Leys, brand manager Benelux, welcomes all the guests.

Can you see that this watch was the origin of the design of the new Clifton?

The new ladies Hampton.

Lastly, the Baume et Mercier Capeland Worldtimer (Appr. € 6,000 in steel and € 15,000 in rose gold):

After 183 years Baume et Mercier is no longer an alternative, and perhaps never was. Baume et Mercier is, and should be your next FIRST choice.

Visit the Baume et Mercier website

Pictures (c) Watchuseek
Thank you Steltman watches - Gassan Diamonds - Baume et Mercier - Richemont Group - Renske, Hervé, Astrid, Ron.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts