WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just received this baby, Baume & Mercier Capeland XXL a few hours ago Sorry about the poor pic, it was taken from my phone at work. I will post better one's tonight

I must admit that it's one amazing watch! There's something very unique about it, like no other diver I ever had.

B&M should have called it the ''paradox diver'' It is modern yet classic, looks frigile yet solid, flat when you look from the top but very domed from the side, heavy but light etc...

The Dome crystal is just so special and you can actually read the time at any angle! The craftmanship is amazing also. All I can say is WOW! what a watch! :p

I'm wondering why this watch has been so little talked about?

Cheers!
Alex

b&m.jpg

·
Registered
548 Posts
Great watch. Your watch has been the subject of much discussion and envy on this forum. There are also quite a few members here who have the same piece.

I think watches that get flipped or sold a lot get a lot of attention 'round these parts because they are so visible. This piece, though, doesn't come up very often on the sales boards because they tend to be pretty hot commodities. That keeps the discussion to a minimum. It surely doesn't mean we don't love the watch.

Congratulations on the pick up.:-!

·
6,880 Posts
I personally LOVE the Capeland XXL. I've wanted to get one for awhile. Congrats!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great watch. Your watch has been the subject of much discussion and envy on this forum. There are also quite a few members here who have the same piece.

I think watches that get flipped or sold a lot get a lot of attention 'round these parts because they are so visible. This piece, though, doesn't come up very often on the sales boards because they tend to be pretty hot commodities. That keeps the discussion to a minimum. It surely doesn't mean we don't love the watch.

Congratulations on the pick up.:-!

+1

Very nice - wear it well!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I was lucky to get it in mint condition with both kevlar strap and rubber strap, box and papers. I dont know but there's something about this watch which I cant explain. So I can understand why some dont wear it but also wont part with it!

Alex

·
Registered
266 Posts
Congratulations on this wonderful diver! It is such a unique piece and as you said, the craftmanship is amazing. I love mine! In case you want to read a little bit more about it, you may have a look at Jon's Deskdiver internet article, an excellent read ;-)!

all the best

Jan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Congrats on a great watch. Must admit I rarely wear mine but cant seem to part with it, just too cool!

Regards,

Ren

I'm totally with you Ren, don't wear mine often either, but it's a keeper nonetheless! :-!

Alex, you got yourself a rare and exceptional piece of dive watch history there, congratulations! :-!:-!:-!

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
It's an exceptional piece and very underated, congrats.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yup, the Capeland XXL is a cult classic of epic proportions. It wasn't a hot seller for Baume & Mercier, appealing to a niche market as it did, but the second they took it off the market... Well, you can see the results: they rarely pop up for sale, and when they do, they sell immediately.

I've thought about picking one up every now and then, though sometimes I wonder if the yellow weave dial would be too much for me. Nahhh...

Regards,
Adam

PS - A black-dial version was making the rounds a while back, too.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Not much room for improvement:
1. Ti Bracelet with polished centerlinks akin to the Capeland S chrono's would be nice.
2. Coin edging or knurling the vertical face (side edge) of the bezel would be welcome.
3. The Rubber snake...reckon it's just part of the fun.
4. Offering in a blue dial while I'm painting dimples on the Mona Lisa. LOL.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Movement is an ETA 2892-A2

deskdivers dot com has a nice write-up about the watch as a reference.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Congrats! I love that piece. About a year ago, there was one for sale at of all places, my local Costco for around $1500...I'm still kicking myself for not snapping it up right then and there. o|

·
Registered
804 Posts
Awesome, original, anyone should be proud to own one. I have found myself looking for one of these from time to time. Problem is that they move so fast, you really have to be on top of your game to snatch one when they show up.

Congrats on your new pick-up, wear it in health|>

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had one and then sold it. Regretted it later. If I get an opportunity again, I will try and snag one.

Here is a pic of the one that got away....

1 - 20 of 87 Posts