WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

My first and probably last thread here:):). Here is the deal, my brother in law works for JPmorgan bank as vice president (47 years of age) and he helped me pay my way through college. i paid him back a while back but recently I got a new job and am now making a decent living so decided to give him a present and what better present than a watch. So here i am asking for your advice.

I saw this deal on amazon.com whereby Baume & Mercier Men's 8254 Hampton Spirit was selling at 20 percent discount for 737 dollars and i bought this watch, although i have still time to cancel the purchase as i put the purchase on hold.

The 20 percent deal has since disappeared from amazon and I want to ask you guys is the watch a good deal and worthy of a present or not. Can i get better watch in less than 1000 dollar range. Is baume a good company and held in good esteem. Is this watch make and model for executives that are 47 year old or is for a slightly younger generation.

Any advice shall be welcome

http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-8254-Hampton-Automatic/dp/B000FNPLUG

·
Registered
420 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I have the similar B&M Hampton City and I like it.
I like B&M and think they don't get enough cred in these parts.

But, for a VP at JP Morgan, it might be too 'young' of a watch for an Executive.
I use mine as a 'sports jacket dress' watch, but not if I was a banking Exec with a suit.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you are right i suppose but all i can afford is 1000 dollars. So are there any other watches "good enough" for him in this price range.

If yes then please suggest.

If no then my only choice is to give him a "sports jacket watch", so is the hampton good enough in that sense.

And what about price 734 dollar a bargain for an automatic baume & mercier.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
It looks perfectly fine to me to use as a dress watch. Your brother will be happy you thought of him and I'm sure he'll wear it proudly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the world leading watch forum, i expected a little more help than i got.

At least somebody tell me if the watch's movements and reputation okay? is it worth the 730 dollars i paid for it? Are there better "executive" watches for less than 1000 bucks.

I still have till tomorrow to cancel my order so please reply??

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
At the world leading watch forum, i expected a little more help than i got.

At least somebody tell me if the watch's movements and reputation okay?
With respect, you are coming across with quite a sense of entitlement. That's not what we expect from our Members frankly, and it won't help you much in getting answers.
B&M have been around since 1830 and are part of the Richemont group that includes Cartier, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin, JLC, IWC, Panerai...not exactly chopped liver. At this price point I'd expect a well finished watch with a fairly standard but reliable ETA automatic movement. You are certainly getting this with B&M.
I would also expect that given time you might find something you like better - but you don't have time so this one looks like a pretty good solution to me. It's a very solid and conservative dress watch based on classic styling (one might even say iconic styling). But Devon's already pointed that out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm going to make a strong leaning guesstimate towards standard/elabore grade ETA 2824-2. Robust movement that'll last with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Its a good quality watch and B&M are a respected company, but the vice president at JP Morgan, who has some interest in watches, which im guessing he does since you are buying him a watch as a gift, would be able to afford anything he wants and probably has a selection of extremely impressive timepieces which this watch wont fit into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts