WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I bought my BB58 new and I really enjoyed the watch. Then after 1 year of normal use the watch literally fell from my wrist. One of the pins connecting the links of the bracelet had disappeared, and the bracelet therefore opened. Fortunately I was sitting at a table and no damage occurred. But I bicycle everyday, and go in the sea with it every week (which is why I picked a diver), so you can only imagine the catastrophe that would have happened, would this pin have fallen during one of these two activities. In the former watch would be destroyed, in the latter it would be lost.

At this stage I think I'll never feel comfortable swimming in the sea / riding a bicycle with this watch on its original bracelet anymore. Something does not feel right to me anymore.

I was just wondering whether I picked a winner here or Tudor really has a terrible quality control (or maybe just terrible quality?).

Cheers

PS: I could talk about the terrible experience I had with both Tudor's customer service following this incident, but that would require a much longer post. Spoiler alert: they don't seem surprised nor to care.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Was the pin that fell out one of the screws that might have been removed and reinstalled to resize the bracelet? If so then it might not have been tight enough or had enough threadlock applied to the threaded end. Cycling would cause a lot of vibrations and work a loose screw out over time.

That's not to shift any blame towards or away from Tudor but only to suggest one possibility of what might have caused it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I check my screws periodically… Especially if I’m going to the beach etc. and will be swimming in the ocean. Hell - I won’t put my arm out the car window unless I’m 100% sure lol.

Not forever they need maintenance, your Tudor… all watches. I don’t consider this a quality control issue.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
As others have said, if it was one of the screws, I don't necessarily think this is Tudor's fault. The truth is that pins and collars are a more secure way to hold together a bracelet but the market demands screws because they're oddly perceived as more "premium." The drawback is that screws can back out where pins generally do not.

I wouldn't hesitate to enjoy your BB58 for any and all activities after you apply blue thread locker to the bracelet screws and let the watch sit for 24-hours to allow the adhesive to set.

Reactions: SeikosandSwiss

·
Registered
425 Posts
Consider using a single pass strap for water/diving—no screw failures, and if one of two spring bars fail, you’re safe. If both spring bars fail…insurance?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It could be the screw not tight enough or the thread lock. I think that’s one reason why Rolex always insist bracelets be adjusted by authorized Rolex personal or watchmaker at Rolex AD. As for me, I never let anybody touch my Tudor or Rolex bracelet unless it is the watchmaker from my AD or RSC.

And I support the use of the single-pass for any water activities. I recently put my TAG Aquaracer on one and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your answers!

Frankly I find it pretty disappointing that such a high end diver watch could not be trusted to be used for water activities (supposedly the activity it should be designed for) on its original bracelet.

If marketing campaign would say "Amazing diver, but use single-pass to take a dip" I would certainly have reconsidered my choice. I mean this is not your 300$ watch here we're talking about here. Being worried that the screws might fail after a year of use on very normal activity sounds pretty unreal to me.

I guess my expectations are a bit too high and I will turn myself towards a more reliable watch, i.e. the kind where I don't feel like it might fall off my wrist when I put my hand out of the window :)

I'll take suggestions if you have any

·
Registered
93 Posts
This can happen to any watch with screwed links. As others have said, check all of the links/screws and possibly have the thread lock reapplied. Glad this happened when it did. Otherwise, enjoy the watch as you should, it can be trusted.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
The bracelet is extremely reliable, it's just that screws can come loose over time especially if loctite isn't applied. Think about a bicycle e.g., if the screws and bolts are never checked then eventually something will work loose and pose a danger.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thank you all for your answers!

Frankly I find it pretty disappointing that such a high end diver watch could not be trusted to be used for water activities (supposedly the activity it should be designed for) on its original bracelet.

If marketing campaign would say "Amazing diver, but use single-pass to take a dip" I would certainly have reconsidered my choice. I mean this is not your 300$ watch here we're talking about here. Being worried that the screws might fail after a year of use on very normal activity sounds pretty unreal to me.

I guess my expectations are a bit too high and I will turn myself towards a more reliable watch, i.e. the kind where I don't feel like it might fall off my wrist when I put my hand out of the window :)

I'll take suggestions if you have any
This could happen on any watch no matter how high end it is. Screws can and will back out slowly if not properly tightened to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Almost every watch no matter the price uses $2 spring bars. Even million dollar watches. Pretty funny really. Insure your watches and enjoy them. **** happens. $80,000 cars get flat tires too. Maybe drive a tank? Nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts