WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I recently purchased an Omega SMP Quartz from 425ranger (please note his history of having a short fuse: https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/ban2ron-disappointed-me-his-behavior-638311.html) (this will put into context his actions). Immediately, the watch had big issues - the watch just stopped for about 10 seconds and then restarted again, which is certainly not normal for a quartz watch - see videos here:

Omega SMP Quartz issues - YouTube (Seconds hand not moving)
Omega SMP Quartz Issues 2 - YouTube (Seconds hand moving again, I observed the watch for a while in between)

Communication

I brought the watch into Omega and my watchmaker and they both said there was something wrong with the movement. I tried to resolve this with 425ranger by saying

"Hi

I received the SMP and it is a beautiful watch but there is an issue with the watch. The second hand just stops for about 10 seconds and then it restarts again but the watch loses 5 seconds vs the atomic time. I took it into Omega today and they said it may be an issue with the movement (watch needs to be serviced) - I'm happy to provide you with a video if you would like - just give me your email address.

Just wondering how you want to proceed to resolve this.

Many thanks"

and his first response was as follows:

"It left here working perfectly. I'll look into how to file an insurance claim. I have to wonder what happened on route or after you had it." Straight away, he insinuates that I MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE WATCH?? I HAD JUST RECEIVED THE WATCH so I was shocked.

Public posts by 425ranger

He also posted a thread on the Omega forum describing a completely different issue (seconds hand skipping 4 seconds at a time) - see the video above for evidence of the big difference in what I said and what he wrote. I told him via PM that this was not the issue and asked him to describe the issue as I said. His response was that it was a battery problem and told me to replace the battery. However, two experts had told me that this was NOT the issue so I was concerned. I posted a thread on the Omega forum asking if this was a battery problem and it seemed like it wasn't.

I didn't want to touch the watch or have it opened up because from the VERY FIRST MESSAGE, 425ranger has insinuated that I damaged the watch - I wanted to keep the watch in exactly the same condition as I received it.

To 425ranger's credit, he did offer a refund WITHOUT shipping fees but he has again insinuated that I damaged it - he would only refund after having it assessed by his watchmaker (my watchmaker and Omega had already diagnosed a problem so what are my hopes of getting a refund??) He will obviously blame me if any issue is diagnosed and not give me a refund.

I have now been left trying to diagnose the issue because I have no more trust in this seller. I mean, if you look at it from my point of view - I am shipping the watch to a seller who is ALREADY suggesting that I damaged the watch and have misused it (both PUBLICLY and privately) without ANY CAUSE AT ALL. I believe there was damage to the movement when i first received it, as my first post indicated. Exact PUBLIC quotes from 425ranger here:

"Should have never sent it overseas to a newer member. I just hope it's not all banged up.... arg."
"This to teach me something, that I will never sell to a zero post noob."

Private messaging (yes, it was in caps lock):

SEND THE WATCH BACK AS I DON'T TRUST YOU OR YOUR SO CALLED EXPERT.o|

DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

I WILL REFUND THE MONEY MINUS SHIPPING AFTER I HAVE RECIEVED THE WATCH AND HAD IT EVALUATED FOR DAMAGE AND MISUSE BY YOU WHILE IN YOUR CARE AND CUSTODY.

This is why I am trying to diagnose the issue myself - If i ship it back to the seller, based on what he has already said, you can see he ALREADY assumes that I damaged the watch. My big fear is what if he doesn't refund me and says the issue I described was somehow caused by me?? Again, I emphasise he has offered a refund and I probably will have to take it but I am warning people of the bad experience I have had. 425ranger was very rude to me and made defamatory public posts with no justification at all. Moreover, who knows if he will refund anything at all as I believe there is a problem - again, see video??

I am happy for anyone to view our PMs or for Mods to make them private to prove what I have said. I have NEVER PUBLICLY or PRIVATELY said anything was the seller's fault or disrespected him in anyway - I have been trying to reach an amicable resolution (also happy to prove this to Mods etc).

History of rudeness

Moreover, I found out that there is a history of short temper and rudeness: https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/ban2ron-disappointed-me-his-behavior-638311.html - I thought this was a very angry thread and quite poor.

Conclusion

Based on this experience, I would not recommend 425ranger as a seller - he is way too aggressive and rude. I am worried that I will only get a fraction of the nearly $1000 I spent on the watch based on his current accusations that I have damaged the watch without ANY evidence at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do realise that my post was a bit of an essay so here is an executive summary haha:

1) Purchased watch from 425ranger
2) Potential problem with movement, diagnosed by watchmaker and Omega Boutique in the MLC centre in Sydney
3) Contacted 425ranger, his first response insinuated that I damaged watch - suggestion that I change the battery but why would I take it to a watchmaker and have it opened up and risk damage when the seller already insinuates that I damaged the watch?? Moreover, by all reports - the issue is not the battery.
4) Refund option provided, which also contained more accusations of mishandling/damaging watch on my part
5) Attempt at identifying movement issue on Omega forums because lack of trust in seller after his unfounded accusations that I damaged watch

This has led to my catch 22 situation: Best resolution would be to send it back and refund it BUT I have been told that there are issues with the watch AND the seller has already accused me of damaging the watch (no evidence whatsoever). My fear is that I send the watch back and get nothing in return.

Again, happy to back up my claims with screenshots of PMs with 425ranger - accusations and threat that I may not get a full refund, all in caps lock. Happy to post up if anyone requests so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have a picture of the packaging. The packaging consisted of:

1) A tissue around the watch (red circle shows the tissue the watch is in)
2) This was placed in some sort of USPS bag with bubble wrap that was very thin/had popped
3) This was placed inside a USPS cardboard box - the bubble wrap USPS bag was quite loose in the box. To 425ranger's credit though, the box was well taped up and I needed a knife to open it up.

Not sure if this is acceptable packaging but I feel that for a watch costing nearly $1000, more of an effort could be made. However, if WUS members think I am wrong on this criticism, I will accept it. Just that I had a previous experience purchasing from TTC and watchchuck who sent their watches with plenty of bubble wrap - they were practically bomb proof. Maybe I expect too much in this case...not the biggest issue I have with 425ranger though.

View attachment 653865

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
OMG, I offered to replace the battery, he refused.

I offered to refund his money, NOW THIS !?!

This is just ridiculous. Why all the attacks?

I have a solid history of honest and upright sales / purchases, I don't lie cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do.

he is a noob.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you promise here that if your watchmaker evaluates the watch and he says there is a problem with the movement as I described and recorded that you will refund my money and not blame the issue on me?

Look at it from my point of view - I had a problem, was polite and you respond by insinuating and later overtly saying that I had damaged and misused it, along with saying you think it might be banged up by me and that you insinuated that I may have done something wrong to it?

If so, let's leave it at that. If not, I have an issue.

Moreover, this is now the only way to talk to you because you said "DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER IN ANY WAY AT ALL."

Please, work with me to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a solid history of honest and upright sales / purchases, I don't lie cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do.

he is a noob.
My concern is the history of aggression shown here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/ban2ron-disappointed-me-his-behavior-638311.html

Please be calm and don't resort to calling me names. I have a solid history of purchases too so I am not a n00b:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/watchulove-615496.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/watchulove-657233.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/pleasant-transaction-watchulove-655927.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f63/watchulove-great-international-buyer-616140.html

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
... after 100 plus deals sometimes a guy lies and some guys are never happy.

I follow my word. And yes, as all can see you are hard to reason with... so I am done with this whole thread and your slurs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... after 100 plus deals sometimes a guy lies and some guys are never happy.

I follow my word. And yes, as all can see you are hard to reason with... so I am done with this whole thread and your slurs.

See, this is why I am worried about sending the watch back to you - you will accuse me of all sorts of things and not refund my watch. Where have I lied? I am happy to make all our PMs public if you want to call me a liar. I also have video evidence of the problem I described. I am reporting exactly my experience - no slurs but just my view that buyers should be warned.

Again, I will say no more if you undertake that you will give me my refund if your watchmaker/whoever evaluates that there is an issue with the movement as I described. Just don't go around refusing a refund, blaming me for the fault and keeping the watch. This is all I want from you - you say that the problem I described is imaginary, I say otherwise.

Keep to your word and promise that you won't blame the fault on me if my description of the fault turns out to be correct.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Who in their right mind would post a thread like this and expect the money back? Seriously why in the world would you do all this and expect for things to go your way?

Amazing.

....but I am a man of my word. I will assume that you edit this thread extensively.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted here because of the following:

I tried to resolve the issue through PMs but you just used caps locks and you were very rude.
You insinuated that I damaged the watch while at the same time saying all it needed was a battery change.
Your last message to me was a threat that if your watchmaker said there was an issue (even if it was the one I complained about), I might get no refund at all. You also stopped communicating with me.

This is my last resort - I want to warn others but I also simply want you to back up what you say.

425 ranger: "THEN you imagine a movement issue and want to return it. There is no evidence of a movement problem and I think you're making it up because of buyers remorse."

You said my problem is imaginary so back up what you say and if there really is a problem as I described and VIDEOED, refund me my money.
I'm pretty sure that a quartz watch isn't meant to stop randomly for 10 seconds...pretty sure that's not normal but you keep saying otherwise.

Videos here:
Omega SMP Quartz issues - YouTube (Seconds hand not moving)
Omega SMP Quartz Issues 2 - YouTube (Seconds hand moving again, I observed the watch for a while in between)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have a picture of the packaging. The packaging consisted of:

1) A tissue around the watch (red circle shows the tissue the watch is in)
2) This was placed in some sort of USPS bag with bubble wrap that was very thin/had popped
3) This was placed inside a USPS cardboard box - the bubble wrap USPS bag was quite loose in the box. To 425ranger's credit though, the box was well taped up and I needed a knife to open it up.

Not sure if this is acceptable packaging but I feel that for a watch costing nearly $1000, more of an effort could be made. However, if WUS members think I am wrong on this criticism, I will accept it. Just that I had a previous experience purchasing from TTC and watchchuck who sent their watches with plenty of bubble wrap - they were practically bomb proof. Maybe I expect too much in this case...not the biggest issue I have with 425ranger though.

View attachment 653865

Sorry about the knife in the pic Jeannie. Here's a picture without the knife:

Pic 2.png

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By way of update, I took the watch to the watchmaker hoping to have this resolved.

When he opened up the watch, he found that the battery had corroded and leaked into the Omega movement and now the whole movement was destroyed. No wonder the watch was acting strangely before.

See below (the white in the photo is the battery acid) - would be happy to post an even bigger photo but size limits on WUS prevent me from doing so.

IMG_20120322_193643.jpg

I hope the seller will resolve this - I am trying my best to compromise. =(

I will update you guys on what happens.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
On the 18th this guy sent this PM...

"Therefore, let's try this - if you refund me $45 for replacing the battery and sealing the watch as you mentioned before, I will go ahead and do that. If the issue is not resolved, I will bear the costs of replacing/repairing the movement."

As noted above,
He refused a refund and offered to do it himself. I sent the $45 and you'd think this was done.

Oh no, now he filed a PayPal complaint... so there is nothing I can do but wait on PayPal. I can't even refund the money.. so more slander and craziness.

I have done all any human can do...

1. offer to fix,
2. offer a refund,
3. agree to a another deal HE OFFERED
......and now I am left to await Paypal.

Anyone who's made it all the way down here, imagine yourself in my shoes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is ridiculous - the watch was described as "working great" per the original listing https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-omega-smp-bond-657265.html.

Clearly, this was not the case so the seller was absolutely wrong in his description - I tried to work with him, after he kept insisting it was a battery issue. I relied upon his words and believed him - clearly, I was wrong to believe him.

Explain how I have slandered anyone - I have photographic evidence that is clear to all - just look at all the corrosion on the movement - very clear white parts. All I am claiming is exactly what I have been told.

I have told him that I will pay half for a new movement - yes, half. Yes, I have told him that I am willing to pay for this issue with the watch that was not caused by me. I once again extend to 425ranger this offer - I will call it a day if he pays for half the cost of replacing the movement. Once again, I am trying to work with the seller.

I think you are in a much better position that me, after being sold a watch that cost nearly $1,000, I have found out that it has a major fault - the movement is damaged. Publicly and privately, 425ranger kept denying this and now I am left with a destroyed watch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just don't believe he is saying this...

1. offer to fix - to fix what? Look at your PMs and all that you publicly said, you said the issue was that the watch needed a battery change. That's hardly a fix to a broken movement.

2. offer a refund - really? How fake was this? Look at what you said to me publicly and privately, if I had sent the watch back I would've got no money refunded because clearly it was damaged and based on the seller already accusing me of misusing the watch, he would put the blame on me.

3. I offered to work with the seller yo get the issue fixed - his original deal had a fundamental error in describing the watch as working great and he continued saying it was a battery issue. I trusted him. Clearly, this was false as you can see from the pictures.

In my shows, I have a watch without a working movement - I have been publicly called names by the seller for suggesting it wasn't a battery issue (n00b etc.), I have publicly offered to PAY HALF for a watch that was originally damaged. Yet right now the seller will not act in good faith and compromise with me. Once again 425ranger, I offer to call it a day if you send me only half the price of repair - I am willing to cover something that I did not cause. Please, work with me...please be fair and reasonable.

On the 18th this guy sent this PM...

As noted above, [/COLOR]He refused a refund and offered to do it himself. I sent the $45 and you'd think this was done.

Oh no, now he filed a PayPal complaint... so there is nothing I can do but wait on PayPal. I can't even refund the money.. so more slander and craziness.

I have done all any human can do...

1. offer to fix,
2. offer a refund,
3. agree to a another deal HE OFFERED
......and now I am left to await Paypal.

Anyone who's made it all the way down here, imagine yourself in my shoes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remember how you sent me this PM 425ranger:

"I think of is ridiculous you complain about a low battery problem, and I offer to fix it. THEN you imagine a movement issue and want to return it. There is no evidence of a movement problem and I think you're making it up because of buyers remorse."

I think you were unfair in how you attacked me as imagining the issue and now that you have been proven wrong, I am still extending a hand and willing to compromise and pay half the cost of a new movement. IT was not buyer's remorse, it was not imaginary and it was not a battery problem as you so claimed. If you want to maintain your history of upright sales/purchases, make this right.

he is a noob.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Issue resolved, please remove thread. 425ranger refunded me 175 to bring the total to 220 and I am covering the rest for a new movement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts