WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back home after the mandatory evacuation was lifted here. The fires are undescribable.I am not sure how many are aware of the complete devastation here in San Diego but estimates are over 1000 homes lost and 100s of businesses. No end in sight.
For all those that live here in the area, be safe and if you need a place to stay, please let me know.
Good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Just got back home after the mandatory evacuation was lifted here. The fires are undescribable.I am not sure how many are aware of the complete devastation here in San Diego but estimates are over 1000 homes lost and 100s of businesses. No end in sight.
For all those that live here in the area, be safe and if you need a place to stay, please let me know.
Good luck,
Bob
Bob, I do agree with you seeing what we see on the news does not truly reflect all the devistation you see up close and personal.

I hope you and your family stay safe. My prayers are with you in this difficult time.

Take care!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Bob, I personally am watching this very closely. My wife's best friend lives in San Diego and we are scheduled to fly out to see them in 2 1/2 weeks. I cannot grasp the anxiety that you must feel along with all the others that actually live there. Our thoughts and Prayers are with you. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Best of luck to you guys out there. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose so much. Hang in man, just hang in and keep us posted if you can.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
From someone living in a frequent drought and fire area I hear you. What we don't have here in Florida is the equivalent of Santa Ana winds. Thank God the heavy winds we get are tropical and water laden. If we had Santa Anas, Florida would be a cinder. Be safe.

Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. The car is still packed just in case.
Jason:hopefully all will be quiet when you visit.Let me know, will have a cold one waiting for you.
I thank all the brave hard working firefighters. They are amazing.
All the best,
Bob

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
We just exchanged emails with Cheryle's friend. She says she is about 10miles from the frontlines. She has picked up a couple of her friends as refugees that are evacuated at the moment.

Please keep us posted if possible, but please stay out of harm's way.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Bob, my thoughts and prayers are with you and all the others in harms way. A friend on another forum has already evacuated his family.

Praying for no wind and a rain storm.....

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rain very unlikely,hoping for no wind.Fires seem to be starting up again further north at county line but no resources left to contain.
Bob

·
Registered
748 Posts
This is unnerving news for me. We are just getting word on these blazes here in Iraq and we are scrambling to confirm who has family members in the affected areas.

As soon as I received an email from my SgtMaj asking for me to confirm who has family in San Diego I emailed my wife immediately.

The last message that I received from her she informed me that she along with the rest of my family were evacuated at 02:00 from our house as the flames were fast approaching. They fled to a friend’s house in a neighboring city. Latter that day at around 11:00 they too had to be evacuated. I’ve since lost contact with her.

In the meantime I’m trying to get a handle on my Marines families. I was informed a couple of hours ago by my SgtMaj that our Col had authorized family members to seek safety in our barracks on base. Now, only a few minutes ago, I’m notified that the barracks was evacuated because it is now surrounded by flames.

My Lt is also from San Diego. The last contact that he had with his parents they were living in some High School gym; he too has lost all contact.

It is difficult to maintain your composure in a time like this. I’ve been in combat plenty of times and all I had to worry about was my Marines and our mission. Now I worry about the before mentioned and my family.

It is 03:45 here and most of the Marines in my platoon are up pacing. I’m sure our communication equipment is screaming for mercy right now as we are calling all over our AO trying to contact my Marines that we have attached out to different Marine and Army units.

I can only pray for the best in regards to my wife and daughter. Right now though, I must concentrate on my Marines mental wellbeing and ensure that their families are safe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom,
up to date info on cbs8.com and click on fire link.If I can do for you, let me know.I will be here till friday than I need to leave to get out of the smoke.
All the best,Bob

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Tom,
Kinda puts all our problems into perspective. Thanks for everything you guys are doing. Prayer for the safety of your respective families.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Bob & Jason thanks for the support.

I checked out the link on cbs8.com and from looking at the map the burn area is right next to where my house is.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Tom,

Jason's right, it does put everything into perspective. Fortunately, it looks like everyone is getting out alive. Life is the only irreplaceable thing....buildings can be rebuilt and material items reacquired. As long as life is preserved, then everything else is incidental. From what I can tell by watching the news, it looks like they're doing one heck of a job keeping everyone safe.

The one thing you all have going for you, is that you have good, state level leadership and good, level headed citizens. Seems like everyone is working together as a team and that's what's going to get everyone through. I know you guys feel cut off being a gillion miles away, and I can't tell you not to worry. However, this is America and we always take care of business and come back better than ever.

Stay safe over there. Myself and my family's thoughts and prayers are with all of you guys fighting the good fight. We're praying for your families too, and pray that you'll be back with them very soon.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Good luck,
Bob
Bob, my prayers for all of you out in the area, let's hope for no more wind

Rick

·
Registered
294 Posts
As someone living in a country where bushfires are an annual problem, my thoughts are with you. Our season is just beginning. I hope the weather gods give you guys a break. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have been watching the news and the pictures are horrific. I hope those winds die soon and you get some rain. Thankfully we get nothing like you are experiencing here in the UK.

Best of luck to you all.
Andy

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Bob,
We have been watching the news very carefully. It seems as if most of the fires have been controlled. I am saddened by the finding of more bodies as the death toll is now at 12. I am also OUTRAGED at the prospect of at least some of the fires being caused by arson.

Any news from the frontlines? We all hope and pray that you and the others frequenting the forum are safe............

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am sure all of us in southern california appreciate all the kind thoughts that have been expressed.
Jason:most of the fires are under control but still some burn. Today on my way from Palm Springs (had to leave for the weekend) there was smoke and fire still going strong.Was able to see the dc10 drop a load of fire retardent on the area.Hopefully all will be under control in the next week.
Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts