WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trolling the internet looking for cheap,but water proof/resistant watches. So far I have come across the Vostok amphibian, and this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Time-Arrow...f:g:feMAAOSwUoxapARp&LH_BIN=1&redirect=mobile

The above Time Arrow watch says it is water resistant up to 3 BAR. I want an everyday watch that I could, lets say, swim with in a pool. I would like to know from people who have this watch if it is able to do that.

Also, I would like to get some recommendations for sub 50-45 dollar watches that can be used for swimming. I prefer the diver/military look.

I am somewhat new here, so please excuse any spelling errors or confusing sentences.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Don't go swimming with a 3 bar WR. 3 bar is rain proof. I would personally aim for a minimum of 10 bar.

You might want to have a look at the timex expedition, although they are only rated for 5 bar, they are a nice example of a field watch (almost) within your budget.

Alternatively, take a look at the offerings from Casio. There is a huge offering there.

If you can get closer to the 100$ mark, you can look at some Seiko 5 field and dive style watches.

If you don't mind an homage get an Invicta.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aside from water resistance, is the Time arrow watch a good beater? By "beater" I mean is it able to be dropped, and is it able to be worn while exercising?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Aside from water resistance, is the Time arrow watch a good beater? By "beater" I mean is it able to be dropped, and is it able to be worn while exercising?
All watches can be dropped. Most watches will survive this. The point is that you shouldn't mind scratching up your beater watch. Your watch will probably do fine for that purpose.

I find it more comfortable to exercise with a light and small watch such as the Casio F91W, YMMV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Being a quartz it would probably be fine, but in my opinion you would be far better of with the Casio. The MDV is very highly regarded and is a bit of a cult favorite due to it's quality and price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would be extremely cautious of the WR rate for an affordable watch (citizen, Seiko, and fill in your favorite affordable brand here). For under $100, you can bet that probably no extensive WR test was conducted. Even if it were, WR is not guaranteed for an extended time. It may be fun to wear but I wouldn’t bet my life and go diving with it.

I purchased the now infamous Invicta Submariner before. It had a Myota movement and I believe was rated 200BAR. Well, the thread on the screw-down crown failed so I could no longer screw down the crown. There goes the WR rating.

I would certainly spend a few more $ and get a decent Seiko diver. It can be a beater and I know the WR is “believable”. For other cheap brands, I think the WR is just a marketing ploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming. But vostok watch are not high reputable for their QC so it's matter of reputation about their QC rather than the spec.

A watch need not bring to deep water 200m deep to do the test but can be done inside a pressure chamber. If a watch is rated to go 30m deep, yes. It shall. I will trust a Casio watch and their recommend.

https://youtu.be/xY_XfNbsHHM

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Plenty of nonsense heard from this thread. 3 bar are good enough for swimming. But vostok watch are not high reputable for their QC so it's matter of reputation about their QC rather than the spec.

A watch need not bring to deep water 200m deep to do the test but can be done inside a pressure chamber. If a watch is rated to go 30m deep, yes. It shall. I will trust a Casio watch and their recommend. https://youtu.be/xY_XfNbsHHM
It is not nonsense. 30m is not really suitable for swimming. I would never take a 30m watch swimming, needs to be at least 100m.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Go with a Vostok Amphibia. I think they're great looking watches, durable as heck, and there are several YouTube videos of Vostok owners doing all sorts of terrible things to their watches, including pressure tests.

Vostok-420648-009-wrist-110618.jpeg

Check out the Vostok threads in the Russian Watch forum.
As for the quality of your average Vostok, keep in mind it was designed by the Soviets in the 1950s and costs $75. You might want to check the time twice a week or so because it won't be COSC certified, and the winding crown/stem takes some getting used to, but I've owned over a dozen of them and only had trouble with one ... which is a pretty good ratio for any brand.

PS: I just re-read this and sounds like I'm saying Soviet design is a bad thing (unless we're talking about nuclear reactors or supersonic passenger aircraft) -- allegedly the watch was first manufactured in the 1950s as a military dive watch. I say "allegedly" because I've never seen it confirmed, although there are plenty of vintage Vostoks on the market. Even if it wasn't designed as a military diver, it is designed to be a) simple, b) durable, and c) cheap. If this watch is still being manufactured after 50+ years, I would tend to think it's a successful design. Again, it's not gonna keep Rolex-accurate time, but my worst Vostok ran about +20 SPD, which is better than some Seikos I've owned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi!

For sub $50.00, I'd recommend that you just get the cheapest possible watch you can. I have tried, and failed, to get a waterproof watch in that range. If you can up the budget just a bit, you can get something like a Casio MW320D-9EV. You should be able to find one for $75-100.00. I actually used to dive with one of those and can vouch for it being watertight, and a good looking cheap quartz watch.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would be extremely cautious of the WR rate for an affordable watch (citizen, Seiko, and fill in your favorite affordable brand here). For under $100, you can bet that probably no extensive WR test was conducted.
Not even for $2000. Water Resistant watches (as per ISO-2281) are exempted from individual testing, taking statistic samples instead (but I never got info about how they should exactly be sampled -I suspect even a sample of one might suffice).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Being a quartz it would probably be fine, but in my opinion you would be far better of with the Casio. The MDV is very highly regarded and is a bit of a cult favorite due to it's quality and price.
No further suggestions needed. The Casio MDV106 is the answer. I have one and despite owning watches 10x it’s price...I always want to grab the Casio. It’s really quite astonishing. I’m obsessed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
It is not nonsense. 30m is not really suitable for swimming. I would never take a 30m watch swimming, needs to be at least 100m.
I brought plenty of pulsar and citizen dress watch to swim with only 30m wr. Not a problem.. Usually, companies will do all means to discourage you from swimming with a watch. If you never bring it to water. It will never have the water leak problem. This is a typical mentality. Some of those watch are very low cost which repairing it for you will hurt their income.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts